Washing Wool | Squat the Planet

Washing Wool

xbocax

Reaction score
anyone know any DIY ways to wash wool? I got some niice comffy wool swaters from the thrift store but i don't want to take them to a dry cleaner every time. Tried lookin on the net not too much out there.
anyone got any tricks up their sleeves?

coldsteelrail

Reaction score
my general wool-care is to wash it as infrequently as possible, and only if absolutely necessary.
Otherwise, spot-clean as crude collects, hand wash and hang dry, or wash in a regular washer, cold cycle, and then hang dry. Always stretch the wool after you wash it, or it will usually shrink big time (except for the merino wool, which seems to shrink less dramatically). Stretch it after you wash it, and stretch it while it dries.

xbocax

Reaction score
my general wool-care is to wash it as infrequently as possible, and only if absolutely necessary.
Otherwise, spot-clean as crude collects, hand wash and hang dry, or wash in a regular washer, cold cycle, and then hang dry. Always stretch the wool after you wash it, or it will usually shrink big time (except for the merino wool, which seems to shrink less dramatically). Stretch it after you wash it, and stretch it while it dries.

Thanks!
yeah Ive been realizing that although its the warmest and lightest Kashmir wool gets dirty the quickest
Merino seems to hold up

xbocax

Reaction score
oh yah when you do the cold was do you use regular detergent? for some reason I feel that would be bad I was thinking of just using Dr Bronners

coldsteelrail

Reaction score
You can use regular detergent to wash wool. There are products designed to wash wool...but the dr. bronner's sounds good to me, and any soap (or perhaps none at all), is Ok.
I find merino wool less durable than thicker wools, but i don't think i've ever had anything kashmir long enough to wear out on me. Congratulations, you're warm and stylin'.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Yes.
wash in a regular washer, cold cycle, and then hang dry.
You can soak it in warm water and Dr. B's as long as there is no agitation. It's the combination of heat, wet, and motion that causes it to shrink and felt up. (Good for sex, not for wool).

What I'd do if it's really dirty is to soak it in pretty warm water and soap until it's totally cooled off. Then give it a gentle, cold rinse and line dry it till it's damp. Then put it on. Seems to work.

xbocax

Reaction score
Yes.
You can soak it in warm water and Dr. B's as long as there is no agitation. It's the combination of heat, wet, and motion that causes it to shrink and felt up. (Good for sex, not for wool).

What I'd do if it's really dirty is to soak it in pretty warm water and soap until it's totally cooled off. Then give it a gentle, cold rinse and line dry it till it's damp. Then put it on. Seems to work.

With this method do you find you need to stretch to reshape at all?

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
With this method do you find you need to stretch to reshape at all?

Well I actually kind of am. When you hang a wet sweater on a hanger, the water settles to the wrists and waiste and stretches the sleeves and body. Also the neck hole gets stretched around the hanger so it doesn't have a chance to shrink.

But you want to be sure to put it on while it's still damp and wear it till it's dry. That will shape it to your body while the fibers are still free to move some. When it dries the fibers lock up again and you might have gorilla sleeves for a while.

farmer john

Reaction score
Well I actually kind of am. When you hang a wet sweater on a hanger, the water settles to the wrists and waiste and stretches the sleeves and body. Also the neck hole gets stretched around the hanger so it doesn't have a chance to shrink.

But you want to be sure to put it on while it's still damp and wear it till it's dry. That will shape it to your body while the fibers are still free to move some. When it dries the fibers lock up again and you might have gorilla sleeves for a while.

this worx very well
wool retains like what 75percent of its insulation while wet?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads