Washing Wool (1 Viewer)

xbocax

Lurker
Current Location
818 SFV
anyone know any DIY ways to wash wool? I got some niice comffy wool swaters from the thrift store but i don't want to take them to a dry cleaner every time. Tried lookin on the net not too much out there.
anyone got any tricks up their sleeves?

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

coldsteelrail

Lurker
my general wool-care is to wash it as infrequently as possible, and only if absolutely necessary.
Otherwise, spot-clean as crude collects, hand wash and hang dry, or wash in a regular washer, cold cycle, and then hang dry. Always stretch the wool after you wash it, or it will usually shrink big time (except for the merino wool, which seems to shrink less dramatically). Stretch it after you wash it, and stretch it while it dries.

OP
xbocax

xbocax

Lurker
Current Location
818 SFV
my general wool-care is to wash it as infrequently as possible, and only if absolutely necessary.
Otherwise, spot-clean as crude collects, hand wash and hang dry, or wash in a regular washer, cold cycle, and then hang dry. Always stretch the wool after you wash it, or it will usually shrink big time (except for the merino wool, which seems to shrink less dramatically). Stretch it after you wash it, and stretch it while it dries.
Thanks!
yeah Ive been realizing that although its the warmest and lightest Kashmir wool gets dirty the quickest
Merino seems to hold up

OP
xbocax

xbocax

Lurker
Current Location
818 SFV
oh yah when you do the cold was do you use regular detergent? for some reason I feel that would be bad I was thinking of just using Dr Bronners

coldsteelrail

Lurker
You can use regular detergent to wash wool. There are products designed to wash wool...but the dr. bronner's sounds good to me, and any soap (or perhaps none at all), is Ok.
I find merino wool less durable than thicker wools, but i don't think i've ever had anything kashmir long enough to wear out on me. Congratulations, you're warm and stylin'.

Yes.
wash in a regular washer, cold cycle, and then hang dry.
You can soak it in warm water and Dr. B's as long as there is no agitation. It's the combination of heat, wet, and motion that causes it to shrink and felt up. (Good for sex, not for wool).

What I'd do if it's really dirty is to soak it in pretty warm water and soap until it's totally cooled off. Then give it a gentle, cold rinse and line dry it till it's damp. Then put it on. Seems to work.

OP
xbocax

xbocax

Lurker
Current Location
818 SFV
Yes.
You can soak it in warm water and Dr. B's as long as there is no agitation. It's the combination of heat, wet, and motion that causes it to shrink and felt up. (Good for sex, not for wool).

What I'd do if it's really dirty is to soak it in pretty warm water and soap until it's totally cooled off. Then give it a gentle, cold rinse and line dry it till it's damp. Then put it on. Seems to work.
With this method do you find you need to stretch to reshape at all?

With this method do you find you need to stretch to reshape at all?
Well I actually kind of am. When you hang a wet sweater on a hanger, the water settles to the wrists and waiste and stretches the sleeves and body. Also the neck hole gets stretched around the hanger so it doesn't have a chance to shrink.

But you want to be sure to put it on while it's still damp and wear it till it's dry. That will shape it to your body while the fibers are still free to move some. When it dries the fibers lock up again and you might have gorilla sleeves for a while.

farmer john

Lurker
Current Location
DETROIT!!
Well I actually kind of am. When you hang a wet sweater on a hanger, the water settles to the wrists and waiste and stretches the sleeves and body. Also the neck hole gets stretched around the hanger so it doesn't have a chance to shrink.

But you want to be sure to put it on while it's still damp and wear it till it's dry. That will shape it to your body while the fibers are still free to move some. When it dries the fibers lock up again and you might have gorilla sleeves for a while.
this worx very well
wool retains like what 75percent of its insulation while wet?

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Current Location
ga
merino is where it's at (or any other kind of "smart wool").

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I caught a fucking cold at 2AM this morning, still sleepless...

I'm the Chairman of the Board.
MFB wrote on slaapkaamers's profile.
I hosted Lilith/@slaapkaamers for 3 nights in Nov 19.
She was an exemplary guest. Good w both conversing and alone time. Trustworthy, didnt steal anything and I felt very comfortable leaving her alone at my place. She didnt stink and not a junky.
Lilith is a legit traveller, she's a sweet, artistic chick w lots of good and interesting ideas to chat about. A pleasure to host. If she's in your neck of the woods you should help her out. 😉
I have a pretty good new squat in sfe but im leaving soon if anyone wants the keys lmk.
The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel

Members online