Walking shoe recommendations? | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

Walking shoe recommendations?

Groundscore

Reaction score
Danner has some really nice boots/shoes and they’re running a sale with up to 60% off select products right now. I had bought a pair of work boots years ago and loved them.

Any way, I picked up a pair of the TrailTek Lights a few weeks ago(marked down to $85) and love em. I have a wide foot, so I bought the boot in EE.

They’re still just a little tight, but I haven’t properly broke them yet. Still, a very solid shoe for sure.

I will cast another vote for Danner, as I've had mine for years and they still look great and have been over some rugged ground.

If you plan on walking a lot (like most do), don't forget some sock liners to prevent blisters. Those are lifesavers on longer walks/hikes.

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
Thanks guys, suggestions always welcome.

Got a pair of work shoes! (I work in a kitchen)

Emeril Lagasse Quarter Slip-Resistant Work Shoe, nubuck

41ahY2sOgrL._SCLZZZZZZZ__.jpg

BAM!!!

D

Deleted member 9462

For hiking and walking and everyday in summer i wear chacos. Theres another brand called teva i think. Dont have to worry about wet boots and can jump in lakes or walk thru streams with them. They look dorky af but i also carry them when im riding trains for 'off days'

Reactions: Anagor

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
Got some water shoes:
Cudas Shasta
1d-58b3564fcf77_1.22a72ef5fe9dd1bab6f2db36006249fc.jpg

Also be sneakin' around in these new sneakers:
Onitsuka Ultimate 81
Not much support, but real lightweight and breathable. And not so dorktastic

D626N_9090_0010255890_RT?$zoom$.jpg

I'd like to get some shoes that weren't made in a sweat shop (because you know almost all clothing is.)
I'll have to look into that

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
it took you almost TWO YEARS to get those??? lmao still thanks all for the answers since i had the same question too

Yeah, man! I was busy traveling the world. I had one pair of shoes and I wore the fuck out of them.

I accidentally left them at an ashram in Kansas City a couple of weeks ago. Seems like a good place for them to end their life.

I hope they planted flowers in them.

:p

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I once found a pair of Rockport Pro Walkers in a Goodwill that were my size. They were brand new and brown suede and felt so good on my feet while walking. Probably the best $4.00 I ever spent. Since then I've been a fan of their shoes. Even their dress shoes are surprisingly comfortable. They make a workboot too.

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
That's why I chose to only buy second hand (or better get clothes for free ;) ). Not giving money to the "fast fashion" industry anymore ...

Hell yeah, me too. There's the lack of worker's rights in the textile industry.. plus the ungodly amount of textile waste.

However, I bought those 3 pairs of new shoes.. and I'm good on undies, but that is something I normally buy new.. but with some diligence I can probably find almost new shoes and undies second hand (just wash them undies first! 😝)

Reactions: Anagor

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
Update: I fucking love the Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81s.. great for warm weather, lightweight, flexible, pretty comfortable so far (despite not having much padding), pretty water resistant (stepped in a stream yesterday and my sock didn't get wet)/ quick drying, they look cool, unisex.. fuck yeah

Emeril's are ok, comfortable but kinda unnecessarily warm

The water shoes are meh.. got a sunburn on my feet when kayaking, the color turns muddy real quick, and tons of sand gets inside (but I've heard that's typical for water shoes)

Lamentations

Reaction score
I don't know if someone already suggested this, but I love those wraparound strap sandals; they're good for any terrain, they can't give you boot rot, and in cold weather (although people say socks and sandals are fashionably incorrect,) you can just wear socks, and if you step in icy water you can just change them, as opposed to drying your shoes off.

Attachments

• 81b3UbQcCoL._AC_SR700,525_.jpg
    81b3UbQcCoL._AC_SR700,525_.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 242

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I don't know if someone already suggested this, but I love those wraparound strap sandals; they're good for any terrain, they can't give you boot rot, and in cold weather (although people say socks and sandals are fashionably incorrect,) you can just wear socks, and if you step in icy water you can just change them, as opposed to drying your shoes off.

Or just flip-flops. Even more minimalist, dirt cheap (€/$ 1 or 2). All what you said applies to them as well. No boot rot, can be worn with socks as well and even if you feet get wet, they dry quickly. Not good for hiking in the woods, though. Obviously. Or climbing or things like that. Have worn flip-flops in winter, even in the snow.

And I think here we don't need to mind if something is "fashionable incorrect" ... :D

Lamentations

Reaction score
I find I get more charity and rides depending on whether I look good or not. Also, flip flops tend to scrape the spot in between my toes and fall off in the water, and you may have to wear a thin sandal if there isn't a store nearby.

Hobo richard

Reaction score
I avoid boots as my ankle bones hates to be pushed on. I walk hundreds of miles a month in just running shoes, dsometimes cheap ones. I think Nikes lasted the longest, but a year is all i can get from them. Once i bought some nice hiking boots and hated them as i failed to understand feet swell over time when carrying a pack and they were too tight. Shoes need to be wide enough for you, have a decent heal and toe box. In my corporate days i walked for miles in office shoes, even Bass loofers. Fit is the biggest issue.

Lamentations

Reaction score
I avoid boots as my ankle bones hates to be pushed on. I walk hundreds of miles a month in just running shoes, dsometimes cheap ones. I think Nikes lasted the longest, but a year is all i can get from them. Once i bought some nice hiking boots and hated them as i failed to understand feet swell over time when carrying a pack and they were too tight. Shoes need to be wide enough for you, have a decent heal and toe box. In my corporate days i walked for miles in office shoes, even Bass loofers. Fit is the biggest issue.
Nike is currently benefiting the most from free Uyghur slave labor. Also they blaspheme, their shape looks infantile, and they don't produce anything without a massive commercial on it.

ali

Reaction score
I started wearing Adidas Superstars so long ago i can't even remember, but it's become such a "trademark look" for me that it inspired gag gifts and commentary going back over 10 years. I've worn them everywhere, to do everything - work, travel, formal occasions, back country hiking, rain, snow, whatever, keep walking till the sole goes through and buy a new pair. I've occasionally tried a canvas shoe (for vegan reasons) or waterproof/non-slip work shoe and they either fell apart in 2 seconds or made my feet so hot and heavy i kept tripping on shit. So back to Superstars.

There are two versions of Superstars that have been especially good. One was a special "skater version" with a far more grippy sole than standard, those ones lasted me years and across four continents. My most recent pair i found one with a "waffle mesh" upper that was extremely useful in subtropical/typhoon climate because although they're not waterproof they dry out much faster than the standard leather ones. I used to carry two pairs so one could dry while wearing the other, but no need with the mesh version. I don't think i'll ever wear a full leather upper again.

The huge benefit with choosing a "standard" shoe like this is that you know you can buy pretty much the same shoe anywhere you are in the world with more or less the same measurements, and you will immediately be comfortable (no blisters). Especially important in certain parts of Asia where shops don't stock shoes for larger feet so you probably need to get it ordered in special.

Yesterday however marked my first non-Superstar in a very long time. On advice of this thread i picked up a pair of Merrell Moab 2 trail runners with Vibram sole. My Superstars have been fairly good all-rounders, but one area they really struggle is on steep inclines in arid climate, which is where i live right now. I already twisted my ankle once a couple years ago sliding down a canyon in Utah, now i am spending the winter somewhere with a similar landscape i want to be prepared. I am hoping these shoes will give me the same lightness and agility the regular sneakers did, but with more grip on the hills.

I also have a pair of rubber slides for walking in hot rain, beach or just for a quick foot protection when getting up at night. Gotta be even more careful not to slip on your ass than you do with sneakers, tho.

Last edited:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I just wear shower slippers atm. Cheap and comfortable. Not traveling right now, though.

Heyy hehe what's up. Yea over the years I've kinda adopted that foot wear style of yours. I been wearing cheap leather walmart slip on flops all year. Think they are at least 5 years but not damaged just worn looking. I'm planning to try use them as much as possible through winter as well. I got some colorful socks n mismatch em... *older now and after a night of cider all sock are the same! blue and green... pink and purple haha...

Other than that I have a year old pair of flea market boots that are in good condition but dirty and need to bring them indoors so they are not cold and stiff in the middle of January. Those will only be for subzero and deep snow days. I seen pics of your feet in snow with flip flops... I'm not that extreme yet... getting there LOL! Hope your well.

View attachment 57176

Got these Apt. 9 boots at a thrift store. Haven't worn them yet (they're for cold weather). I guess they're men's but that's cool, I dig em

Those are kickass looking boots. High top like that is my choice! Never had that fleece liner before though... looks warm. Do they have steel toe though?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads