Trick for glasses

oldmanLee

Reaction score
NO,NOT TURNING TRICK! Last night I was sifting thru yet amother box of the clutter that has caught in the last decade or so,and ran across my old snow goggles.These are not the modern style with lenses,but a pair I carved along the style of a set of western First Nations goggles,which look like a pair of wraparound sunglasses with a tie for the back,and a pair of slits for the front.When I was living back in the North,my friend Namgay and I would try and make as much of the stuff we used in the outdoors as we could along Native lines,so we made our own snow goggles.Of course they wouldn't fit over my regular glasses,but that was what rifle scopes were for.
As it turns out,I was in for a bit of a surprise.When I wore the goggles,due to the refocusing of my pupils,I was able to see almost as clearly as with the regular glasses!A bit of monkeying with the size of the slits(mine seem to work best with a slit about 4mm wide),and applying some black Sharpie to the inside,it cleared enough that I was able to use iron sights when I went rabbit hunting.Did a bit of research,and found out that this had been observed before,and also was part of the "blindfolded"knifethrower carny act.I'd suggest that any of you folks that are nearsighted as I am check it out,as there are times that you know that you have or will lose the specs.Also,how many DIY punkpionts for your own handcarved snow goggles that double as general purpose vision glasses?

trotsky

Reaction score
will definitely do this for when I can't use my contacts as normal specs are so damn expensive.
Unless anybody has tips for wearing contacts on the road/camping?

farmer john

Reaction score
yuuuup. so far ive had 2 different pairs from them. both pairs have been good quality and delivered on time. cant beat a complete (YES LENSES TOO!) pair of glasses for that cheap!

DAYUMMMMMM!!!!! now thats a deal

$reaches for wallet *

M

Mouse

i just dont know hwo to get all those numbers they require for your script. last time I had my eyes checked I asked for a copy of my lense script and it has 2 sets of number on it, not liek 25 different things.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
i just dont know hwo to get all those numbers they require for your script. last time I had my eyes checked I asked for a copy of my lense script and it has 2 sets of number on it, not liek 25 different things.

OK. On the Zenni "your prescription" page, you can check the question marks to the right of each line. They have pretty good help, but here's the basics.

Line 1: you probably want single vision.

Line 2: your prescription probably doesn't have the PD listed. You need to get a friend to measure the distance between the centers of your pupils in mm when you are focusing at a long distance. It explains under "?"

Line 3: Go with option 2, Mid Index unless you want something fancy.

Line 4-5: Tints and coatings: add em if you want em.

NOW here's where the 2 sets of 3 numbers you were talking about go.

In the top row labeled "Right" go the 3 OD numbers for Sphere, Cylinder, and Axis, which should be the top row on your prescription and describe the shape of the right lens.

On the bottom row labeled "Left" go the 3 OS numbers for Sphere, Cylinder and Axis, which should be the bottom row on your prescription and describe the shape of the left lens.

That's all there is to it!

The beauty is that if you buy at a shop they make you have a prescription in hand that's less than 2 years old, which usually means another $50-100. Zenni doesn't care. If your eyes haven't changed you can order from a 10 year old prescription if you want to.

M

Mouse

ah ok, I never bothered reading all the info on the site cuz I haven't needed glasses just yet. I'm thinking I might order some jsut for fun to see how they turn out just cuz they are so cheap.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Wow thanks for that info, it's really helpful! I'm definitely going to try this!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads