Traveling with a rat ?

marc

Reaction score
has anyone traveled with a gerbil? my friend is giving them away and im thinking about getting one. would it be the same as caring for a rat?

Adonis

Reaction score
RATZ...

has anyone traveled with a gerbil? my friend is giving them away and im thinking about getting one. would it be the same as caring for a rat?

Personally I think Gerbils or even hamsters are a waste of "matter" when it comes to being pets.. I sure as heck would not want to travel with either...

Rats are great when looked after, as they are smart and trainable etc.. If you ever need any tips or advice with them just ask, I have had over 200 since I used to raise/breed several species of them. ;)

Birdy

Reaction score
RATZ...

Yeah fuck gerbils. I started with three when I was little and ended up with over 20 in a matter of a month. They are hyper as fuck and rats just seem waaaay more tame. Or else a hamster. I had one and he was so chill<3

Staralar

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
RATZ...

I've never done the whole hamster, gerbil gig- although I just recentily got myself a rat by the name of Mortamurr, & yeah~ the little fucker's are actuilly pretty durable, Id'a never gussed. He digs my pocket, & eats almost anything...

although I'm having some troubles getting him to drink water. Any tips on that?

I

idontfighttheworld

RATZ...

Getting them to drink without a dropper bottle can be a bitch for some. If they won't drink out of a bottle cap, try and find or make a shallowish bowl they can climb around in without completely soaking themselves. If you can get ahold of some frozen peas or corn, put it in the bowl and theyll dive for them and usually drink while they do it. Mine have a bit of a taste for tea and beer, so if they decide to be bitches about drinking plain water I'll dilute some beer with plain tap water, they usually change their tune after that. But for the most part, if they get thirsty enough they'll drink whatever. Just make sure they don't start panting (for lack of a better description) or getting real lazy. Then they're getting dehydrated. But they're usually pretty tough and don't really need to drink as much as you think.

p.s. don't let em get in water bowls if you're planning on being outside until they're dry. common sense I know, but one of my friends rats almost died when some of its fur froze, had to keep the poor bastard inside a heating pad for a week.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
RATZ...

i was thinking about learning to knit & makeing a snow suit for rodents.... but i'd have to learn how to knit.....

For something that size, I'd recommend crocheting instead- it's quicker to learn and you get good at it much faster than knitting, although making a crochet hook does take longer than knitting needles.

I

idontfighttheworld

RATZ...

Just cut a sleeve or two off a hoody or soft shirt, or two or three and slip em over each other. Then, sew the tube inside of your coat or hoody. I'd recommend sewing one end of the tube up completely, that way you can stuff some cloth scraps and whatnot in there so they can nest, and you won't have to worry so much as to what way they'll be trying to escape from. Unless of course they chew through the other end, and they probably will. So put some twigs in there or crusty dried up bread so they have something else to chew on. If you happen to be near some apple trees, theyll love you forever for pulling a few twigs off those.

By the way, try not to use any kind of soft synthetic materials around them, they will eat it. Synthetics just seem to me like more of a chance to choke of fuck up their digestive system. So keep it to cotton, wool, hemp etc.

U

Umbraperagro

RATZ...

How about hopping off on the fly with em, Ive heard before that you can pop a bunch of holes ion a solid water bottle, put em in, then in you pack, and hell be alright for landing. This sound like it would work to you rat experts out there?

U

Umbraperagro

RATZ...

SO this goes out to anyone whos every traveled with rats, Im wondering, what, when travelling do you feed them. All I can find on this machine is rants about how rats need these lab block things to survive... Any one with some helpfull info pass it this way please...

Adonis

Reaction score
RATZ...

Dry Kitten food! it is the best thing for them. You should look for one with 38% + protein (far to low in adult cat food). Unsalted nuts and dried fruits are good as supplement but give in moderation as nuts contain high oil content and fruits can cause dieriha.

When it comes to keeping small animals (and all birds) in cold, being well fed up is key. never feed things made from flour (like breads) to animals as there is no real nutritional value to sustain body mass esp in colder weather.

I would not worry to much about the water not being from a bottle. He/she is only being like that most likely from being from a pet store. Rats are not stupid by any means and will learn to drink from a bowl if thirsty enough the key is too keep the water fresh cool and clean at all times. dehydration is easy to see as the rat will become more lazy (and when well are very active) you can pinch test the skin by by pulling it away from the skin if it return instantly he/she is fine but if takes more than a second to return there is a problem.

Unfortunately I have no real advice for hoping out of trains with a rat, what I can say is that any kind of fall/jump/impact/rolling/etc in excessive to it size is a very bad idea for many reasons but mostly the jolting of the brain that would be caused.

Dmac

Reaction score
RATZ...

gerbles all have adhd! hamsters are just nuts, if they have enough brains to be nuts. rats make great pets, they can be trained and are hearty enough to take the rigours of the road. surprisingly, mice can make good pets (easy to take care of) but can be killed easially.
i have known a few persons who have had red squirrles as pets, they had to keep them on a leash (or they will clinb up anything they can)! but they were really diferent, pluss spangling with one really seemed to bring the people in.

I

idontfighttheworld

RATZ...

I try and keep a bag of mixed fruit, nut, grain whatever rat food on me. If I don't have that, I usually give them some pieces of granola bar. Whatever you do, don't ever feed them meat. Their shit will get nasty and they will get mean. Never a good idea. And I've never had a squirrel, but I did have a raccoon for a bit when I was kid. That would probably be great on the road, those fuckers can find anything edible within a half mile radius.

spud

Reaction score
RATZ...

if your going to try to make something to hopping off with them what you should get is one of those things u shoot checks or money into a bank with at the the drive thru and try to pad it and just put it in right before you get off and let it back out as soon as you are on your feet

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads