Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Sweet! thanks, and i'll be adding this to the downloads section.

S

Seldom Seen Smith

The $50 & Up Underground House Book teaches how to build the lowest cost, most sunshine-filled, best ventilated and driest underground houses of all. It teaches how to incorporate greenhouses, root cellars and fallout shelters into an underground home. It covers both hillside and flat land design, and explains how to solve drainage problems with dependable gravity rather then expensive, failure-prone building materials. It also details ways to pass or otherwise deal with the building codes.

The $50 & Up Underground House Book is the only book to explain in detail author Mike Oehler’s revolutionary Post/Shoring/Polyethylene building method, which cuts building materials to the absolute minimum. (See the video/DVD section for an illustration comparing P/S/P with the materials used in normal frame house construction.)

But The $50 & Up Underground House Book does much more than just cut your building material costs by up to 90%. It is widely recognized as the book which offers the reader the greatest possibilities for light, air and views in an underground home. Where most owner-designers and even professional architects are stuck on the disastrous "First Thought" concept, a design which greatly limits view, sunshine and air flow, and which usually causes staggering drainage problems, Oehler offers the "Basic Design" with the "Up Hill Patio" which solves these problems and more. He explains the weaknesses of the other three design concepts favored by conventional architects: skylights, vertical window wells and atriums. For example, though skylights admit a rewarding amount of light, they are hard to use for ventilation and fire escape, get dirty quicker, often leak, admit too much of the summer sun, too little of the winter rays, and offer no view whatsoever. They may have special applications, Oehler argues, but there are better design concepts for normal use.

Now in its seventh edition, it has sold more than 90,000 copies and has received enthusiastic reviews from Mother Earth News, National Public Radio and many others. Many consider it the classic in its field.

The $50 & Up Underground House Book reprises all these advantages, and more. The book discusses in detail more than 50 different topics related to underground construction.
This big, 112-page, 8 1/2" x 11" book contains:

* 4 pages of engineering tables and diagrams
* 8 floor plans
* 54 photos
* 100+ illustrations

Table of Contents
Chapter 1: What an Underground House Is Not
Chapter 2: What an Underground House Is – 23 Advantages
Chapter 3: Histories of the $50 and $500 Underground Houses
Chapter 4: The PSP System
Chapter 5: Design
The Basic Design
Views, Light, Ventilation
Five approved Methods of Design
-Uphill Patio
-Offset Room
-The Royer Foyer
-Clerestories
-Gables
Drainage
Special Designs
Flat-Land Designs
Special Effects
Special Features
Patio Barbecue Area
The Bachelor Bar
Built-in Greenhouses
Root Cellar/Fallout Shelster/Wine Cellar
Built-in Coolers
Chapter 6: Materials: Where to Buy and Scrounge
Wrecking Buildings
Windows
Auctions
Sawmill Lumber
Polyethylene
Concrete
Fee Timber Sources
Working Up Posts and Beams

Chapter 7: Construction
Secret Construction Method
The Excavation
Building the Structure
Chapter 8: You And the Building Codes
Appendices

This is an abridged table of contents. There’s more in the book. It’s simply the No. 1 information source for anyone wanting to build low-cost underground homes, offices or shelters.

Here’s what Natural Life Magazine wrote about the book:

"The ideas and methods are quite often unorthodox – but stronger for it. The design theory is well based in experience and appears to work well. Straightforward diagrams and black-and-white photos illustrate many construction and design points … a very useful and pleasant book for anyone wanting to build an inexpensive but solid underground structure."

ferretwakeup

Reaction score
hey this is an awesome book. i read it in two nights last spring and am finishing up a structure this winter to play drums in and grow some food and sleep. its not 100% underground because of our high water table (my last attempt flooded after hand digging a 12x16 hole 4 or so feet down) but i learned alot from this book. a good and inspiring read!

once i can come across some land with a south facing slope im going to try this style out, its all flat where i live so that was another problem.

heres a picture from a few weeks back, another wall is already up now
index.cfm

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=25024457&albumID=2960376&imageID=68320100

loess

Reaction score
ferretwakeup, we can't access the links you posted because your MySpace profile is private. would you mind uploading the photo to an image hosting website or something?

ferretwakeup

Reaction score
yeah for sure
i couldnt figure out how to make it not private
ill upload something

l_4e8a9c24789d44b5af7fd3f7bae206a6.jpg

l_3fc811e022dd48bca7d12e2ef976d49c.jpg

so this giant hole here is now filled in with a straw bale wall and im to berm this wall and the other one to the left once its done with dirt and soil. Then gonna put a living roof on the top of the structure and hopefully bring it down to connect with the earth at some points

l_3f8ab1c80b334335b30e85b7557fffee.jpg

l_e6c67897dc3a44ecaec52a636124c6a2.jpg

this is all from a few weeks back ill probably put some more up once its further along or done. peaceeeeeeee

carlylanea

la fille canadienne
Reaction score
this is a really neat book.........too bad I'm horrible at building stuff....I would really like to do something like this.....except I'd be scared i'd build it wrong and it'd collapse while i'm sleeping! hahah

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads