Tents

Mari3L

Reaction score
I did a forum search and found some threads but they were short and lacked detail.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a tent that fits my needs. I'm hitchhiking across the country (United States - East to West) and I need a 1 person tent that can handle spring and summer thunderstorms. I don't mind being in tight quarters and would prefer a tent that stays low to the ground.

I looked at sil-tarp tents and they look useless if the rain is coming down at an angle or if there is high wind.

I hope someone on here is using a trustworthy tent and could give me a heads up so I can buy the same one. (because i'm tired of searching and not finding quite what I want.)

wartomods

Reaction score
i would recomend a traditional square, one cross, 2 pole tent for one person, it is always nice to be able to sit down and do stuff while you are in.

Speedy

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
I have had my sil-tarp for a long time now and I am in the northwest and with all the rain and wind we get it has held up just fine...

You just need to put some thought into how you set it up.

Hey wider, Do you think you can post a pic of how you set yours up to keep the rain out? Im looking to buy a tarp tent, but Im not really sure what to get. Camping websites dont really seem to help with info or give many pics considering how much they charge for all their gear.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Personally I dont even use a tent. I have a sleeping bag and if the weather is shitty I go to the ghetto and find an abandoned building or house for the night. and if need be I dont mind sleeping out under the stars or in the rain. done it before and I quite enjoy it!

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
if you got the cash kelti has some nice ones even snow proof. if you don't wal-mart does too.

stove

Reaction score
Honestly, a sil-tarp should be the only thing you need if your only goal is keeping dry. Keep in mind, some places have nasty bugs during certain seasons, and a tarp does not provide a significant amount of warmth (especially compared to a full tent).

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
everyone has their own way of doing things. Ultimately the decision comes down to what you are comfortable with. finding the balance between protection and weight, size and bugs, heat and convienence

I have carried a tent before, and was happiest with a basic bivy tent. They are just bigger than your bag's footprint, and will keep you dry in even a hard rain, as long as it is either doublewalled or you don't touch the sides. I reccommend one with a gear porch.

One of the big questions is; where will you be sleeping?
train yards, onramps, town parks, WMA's & BLM land, etc.

for the whole general 'homeless camping' (read: Low Profile Camping) I found that a simple tarp works best FOR ME. that doesn't mean it will for you. I carry a tarp with one reflective, but not shiny, side that is big enough for me to burrito up in. and you look low profile that way. A pup tent on the onramp will draw cops like a fresh yeast doughnut. something that looks like the usual junk that blew off a truck won't.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads