Tent or tarp? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Tent or tarp?

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I use a tarp but i found this thing the other day and its made of that nylon tent material and its just a square with bungie cords with hooks on each corner
and ive pitched it up in combination with my tarp and it works pretty good. i use my tarp to keep the ground dry underneath me and put the tent thingy over me. its waaay lighter than the tarp. i still need a skeeter net tho

Mr. Expendable

Reaction score
first off.... fuck bivys.... id lovet o have one but there to god damn expensive.... gortex army bivys are near a bill or more.... i found this project online making cheap nylon type material into silinylon or whatever using caulking and gasoline... anyone tried it?.... im probably gunna do it myself just want o see if anyones tested the project

Reactions: Psi em

ayron

Reaction score
if you can get a bivy, go for it, you can place your sleeping bag, fomy and if need be a blanket in it then roll the whole thing up for an instant bed.
if not, tarp tarp tarp!, one for the ground and one for the rain, and the top one doesint even have to be tied up it could be draped ontop if your lazy/unsure of the weather.
but it really does depend on where your going, if you know for a fact theres gonna be lots of bugs that wanna eat you and suck your blood, a tent may not be a bad option

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
I prefer a tarp just because I usually get fucked up and lose the damn pools and steaks. And, I can use it pretty much anywhere.

MiztressWinter

Like A Boss
Reaction score
We have a two man tent and a tarp. Overall, it doesn't weigh much and they roll up nicely together. But what I REALLY want is a nice piece of mosquito netting! FTW! And fuck you you god damn mosquitos!

Reaction score
i've travelled with a bivy and don't like condensation getting all up in it. tent has been nice in the past for keepin bugs at bay but more room and weight than I want. I have just been using small tarps lately, which I highly prefer, and dealing with the bugs. But, being able to get a piece of mosquito netting is an excellent idea. I think that with my tarp is golden.

farmer john

Reaction score
military ponchos all ive ever neededl

spoon

The coolest person you never met.
Reaction score
I have a 2 person tent. Its not one of those expensive light weight ones but its still not too heavy and I can roll it up pretty tight. There have been times when I didn't even set it up like a tent just used it like a tarp. Or just used the rainfly.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
Hmm I would have to say tarp... I am not really into perma camps I guess if it was a kickdown tar[ it wouldnt be a big deal.. I just really hate people knowing where I sleep.. I would also have to say I am normally way to drunk to set up a tent before I pass out.. I think the last time I was caught in the rain it took me about 4 hours to figure out the water was coming from above me not below me.. I guess I still slept alright.

Chewbacka

Reaction score
Hmm I would have to say tarp... I am not really into perma camps I guess if it was a kickdown tar[ it wouldnt be a big deal.. I just really hate people knowing where I sleep.. I would also have to say I am normally way to drunk to set up a tent before I pass out.. I think the last time I was caught in the rain it took me about 4 hours to figure out the water was coming from above me not below me.. I guess I still slept alright.

Haha that is fucking awesome. Tents do cause more trouble then good most of the time. Tarp is a lot faster and you can get it rolled up and put away a lot faster also. Just like you said, perma camps aren't that good. I don't really like staying in one spot to long. Blows the spot up and it just goes downhill from there!

Matt aka Sparks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Tarp for sure. Way easier to pack around and you can just burrito yourself inside of it.

Succat

Reaction score
Greetings!

This "tent or tarp" question is a perennial favourite on traveller Forums and the related threads make an interesting read. My own preference is a tent (for many reasons) and yet, simply, in the final analysis, what's really of critical importance is that our shelter keeps us warm and dry.

The following links make a useful contribution to the discussion . . .

● TARPS:

An excellent introduction to the subject of tarp shelters with a wealth of valuable and useful information on their use and construction, including diagrams. This article covers everything from the most basic immediate action shelter to sophisticated structures and is available as a free download in *.PDF format.

Link ~ Tarp Shelters - An Introduction by David B. Macpherson - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

● TENTS:

Some of my thoughts and practical tips on their selection and use. This article also includes an introduction to using tents in extreme conditions and is available as a free download in *.PDF format.

http://succat.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/tents.pdf

and . . .

● "Alpine Tech Tips" — an introduction for tenting in extreme conditions:

http://succat.wordpress.com/files/2008/10/tents-extreme.pdf

Thank you

:)

Succat

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads