StP gathering in 2014 discussion | Squat the Planet

StP gathering in 2014 discussion

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey everyone, so it's been a few years since we've had an official gathering for folks on the website to meet each other (2009 I think?) and since there has been such an influx of awesome people on the site since then, I was pondering the idea of organizing another gathering, but something with a more festival vibe, perhaps with some workshops and opportunities to learn from each other as well as party our asses off.

It would be good to do it far enough in advance that word can get around as well, so I'm thinking about summer 2014 or maybe a little later that year.

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions for workshops, contests, or anything else you would like to see at an event like this? What about locations?

I would be especially interested in anyone that would like to help organize, or put on their own workshops about whatever you would like to show others.

Let's discuss and toss around some ideas!

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
sounds like an awesome idea. I say there should be dodgeball. nothing like getting drunk and whipping balls at each others face. that sounded better in my head.... moving on! Music would definitely be a plus, finding musicians to play should be pretty easy. Any current ideas about location? Probably close to a city so that it'd be easier to get to, or maybe someone who has a good chunk of land could host it. Lemme know what kind of help you would need and I'll do my best to help.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
If STP is covering the travel costs I'd say we should all meet in the middle east. I've always wanted to go, so it be like two birds with one stone. The workshop idea is pretty cool, I think it could be a great chance to inspire folks to venture into new things.

Mongo

Reaction score
PNW or Mexico. maybe some weird border town along the canadian U.S. border. as far as I've seen a lot of people are going to be in washington this year. should just be soon and random maybe not 2014 but a few months from now. I think things are peaking right now I could be wrong but, who knows. I've just noticed this year on here people mentioning being in the northwest or rva.

although I've just been creeping for the past few years so maybe you shouldn't trust me
::mask::

StnQmYckJFpJYnZX1OSM9GLuQcT4wHoI-BCXeHWFeJmDrlQgWE.jpg

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
PNW or Mexico. maybe some weird border town along the canadian U.S. border. as far as I've seen a lot of people are going to be in washington this year. should just be soon and random maybe not 2014 but a few months from now. I think things are peaking right now I could be wrong but, who knows. I've just noticed this year on here people mentioning being in the northwest or rva.

although I've just been creeping for the past few years so maybe you shouldn't trust me
::mask::

StnQmYckJFpJYnZX1OSM9GLuQcT4wHoI-BCXeHWFeJmDrlQgWE.jpg

Anyone can put together an StP gathering before then, but i won't be able to personally organize anything until after Feb 2014, since I'm one of the main people organizing the international boat punk gathering happening then (announcement and more details coming soon), so I'm pretty booked up until then.

railroadron

Reaction score
This sounds great. Actually I was just thinking the other day about gathering a census on how many other real train hoppers would like to all meet up and gather. Kinda like a hobo convention except not commercialized and full of grumpy old men. Lol! PNW sounds great. How about Eugene?

PlasticSturgeon

Reaction score
This sounds great. Actually I was just thinking the other day about gathering a census on how many other real train hoppers would like to all meet up and gather. Kinda like a hobo convention except not commercialized and full of grumpy old men. Lol! PNW sounds great. How about Eugene?

First thing that popped in my head when I read that, haha.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ha, i kinda forgot about this thread for a while. but yeah, im still down. i don't know what my plans are after feb, but i'd like to work something out.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
oregon would be cool. it would be nice to have it on the ocean or maybe that island on the columbia river.

Reactions: Acorn

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads