StP gathering in 2014 discussion

domo

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
after this discussion about locations and dates, exc. when will be alerted about and actual set stone location and date.
keep in mind I'm still new to StP, so pardon me for my French, if I may sound outta line. just confused and learning.
alas ocean beach, san Diego, California alwayed seemed promising to me :)

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
So does anyone know or have a good place in Oregon or Washington for us to gather? Somewhere reasonable to get to with enough room for us all to crash or camp?

treyvor

Reaction score
I know of a couple of potential places. Both are near leavenworth Washington. One is an organic farm
http://www.tierraorganics.net i went to a white water kayaking gathering there last year, they have a big field with campsites and fire pits and they also have bathrooms/showers. I dont know how much they would charge but the organizer of the event i went to said they charged a reasonable price.

The other possible venue i know is an orchard where we usually have the kayak gathering. People camp in the rows between the trees and there is a good bonfire site near the river. And one minimal bathroom. Ill see if i can find contact info for the owner.
Both sites are cool. But might they not be the easiest for most people to get to

Reactions: EphemeralStick

Hylyx

Reaction score
Also super in. Would love to help organize, I suppose I could help with or run a leatherworking/care workshop, or a bike repair shop, if anyone brings bikes...

Oh and also up for a game of Dwile Flonking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwile_Flonking

Last edited:

treyvor

Reaction score
There is also a free "secret campsite" up icicle creek road out of leavenworth. We would have to compete for space with climbers or raft guides. So weekends would be crowded.
I only really know any other free sites so if anyone else has ideas it would be good to get input.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
This would be great. I know there was brief discussion of a Seattle meet-up a while ago but something bigger would be awesome. The posts in this thread seem to indicate that it's a multi-day thing with camping, is that right?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
that would be the idea, yeah. some workshops would be cool too.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Seems like you guys are leaning towards late summer in the PNW.

I'm already organizing a gathering in northern california in august.

About 100 people voted on the location this year to be around Nevada City, California, what if we merged the StP gathering into this event?? I really like the idea of workshops.

The only thing to consider is that the river where we were planning the gathering is illegal to camp on (been doing it for years with campfires and never had a problem with it being enforced, but we've always had small groups. So there is some logistics stuff to work around.

Nevada City is an extremely friendly town towards travelers, they've even got a place where you can pick up free excess produce from the farmers.

Did I mention the river is PARADISE:

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Merging the Hitchgathering with the StP gathering is an awesome idea!

I had some ideas for workshops or discussions that might be interesting:
-Traveler's law school: common legal issues with traveling and what to do if stopped/arrested. Not enough people know their rights.
-Hobo history: history of traveling people from Depression-era trainhoppers to nomadic tribes around the world.
-Wilderness skills: make a fire, important knots to know, build a shelter, etc.
-High-Tech traveling: how does new technology and resources like GPS and Couchsurfing.org help or hurt the traveler community?

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Seems like you guys are leaning towards late summer in the PNW.

I'm already organizing a gathering in northern california in august.

About 100 people voted on the location this year to be around Nevada City, California, what if we merged the StP gathering into this event?? I really like the idea of workshops.

The only thing to consider is that the river where we were planning the gathering is illegal to camp on (been doing it for years with campfires and never had a problem with it being enforced, but we've always had small groups. So there is some logistics stuff to work around.

Nevada City is an extremely friendly town towards travelers, they've even got a place where you can pick up free excess produce from the farmers.

Did I mention the river is PARADISE:

Are you talking about the hitchhiking gathering? That river looks awesome. I'd be into having StP 'ers meet there, sounds pretty nice.

As for concerns about the number of people, I don't think we've ever had more than 20-30 people show up so I don't think it would get out of hand at all.

• Sad
Reactions: TheWindAndRain

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads