2015 Jamboree - StP Dirty Scouts Jamboree; Slab City, CA - Oct 1st-4th 2015 | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

2015 Jamboree StP Dirty Scouts Jamboree; Slab City, CA - Oct 1st-4th 2015

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2015 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Cirno9

Reaction score
I will try and make this, I might leave my dwellings early and come by on my way to LA from san antonio as I prepare to leave for euro land ;) I think a traveler meet up would bring all the good vibes and karma my way before I dive into my next big adventure since I leave oct 18th hopefully.

CT I

Reaction score
Me and my homie just decided we're going to this. I love to read and it's way more fun to pass books along rather than sell them or just have them sitting around not being used. Should be a fun time. Also gonna be hitting up Death Fest in Oakland soon after so maybe we'll meet some other people that are going.

Reactions: Mankini

Kate Westcoast

Reaction score
Website
evencowgirlsgetthepoops.tumblr.com
it would be really rad to see you there!
It would be really rad if i am able to leave the working force by then to come! I think il be able to afford my new bicycle in three weeks.... The timing might just be right ooooooo

DuHastMich

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've always wanted to hit Slab City, and will probably take the plunge this year.

One thing deterring many from going is the Slab City Community Group...they think they "run shit". I mean, a squatter is a squatter....

To make everything clear to potential Slab City goers, the land is just as much yours as it is the next guy's. Sure, squatter's rights are preserved in California to a point, but there's a wide gap between a squatter and mayor. Don't let some organization hoodwink you into thinking their ideologies take precedence over your desires to exist in "America's last free place".

I felt inclined to share this because I actually engaged the SCCG via email, and told them to piss up a rope - they don't run jack schitt.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
It would be really rad if i am able to leave the working force by then to come! I think il be able to afford my new bicycle in three weeks.... The timing might just be right ooooooo

i'm taking my bike out there, and i'm planning to make at least one trip to SD and LA and using the Slabs as a home base.

One thing deterring many from going is the Slab City Community Group...they think they "run shit". I mean, a squatter is a squatter....

like most people i'm unclear what that situation is and who exactly is behind it (or who is on what side). that said, I *really* don't think that situation is deterring anyone from going to the slabs, and it's definitely not going to affect the StP gathering in any way.

dprogram

Reaction score
Sooo far away. There is no way I could afford the trip but I will be there in spirit...I guess. Fuck. One day Homies!!!!!! plur

Reactions: Matt Derrick

DuHastMich

Banned
Reaction score
like most people i'm unclear what that situation is and who exactly is behind it (or who is on what side). that said, I *really* don't think that situation is deterring anyone from going to the slabs, and it's definitely not going to affect the StP gathering in any way.

Well, there's mixed emotions around the Slabs. Seems one group wants to buy East Jesus while another wants to buy 3/4 of the Slabs. What used to be a great place to be free has turned into a free-for-all.

Me, personally, I'm going to try my damnest to get there. Fuck the rhetorical nonsense and the groups who think they own what isn't theirs...us STPers will do it up and leave everyone else to their devises.

Joe Btfsplk

Reaction score
Well, there's mixed emotions around the Slabs. Seems one group wants to buy East Jesus while another wants to buy 3/4 of the Slabs. What used to be a great place to be free has turned into a free-for-all.

Me, personally, I'm going to try my damnest to get there. Fuck the rhetorical nonsense and the groups who think they own what isn't theirs...us STPers will do it up and leave everyone else to their devises.

I too have read of a Slab City tussle, politics. All I want to do is visit and drive a small van full of books down to the Lizard Tree Library. I enjoy reading and would enjoy sharing with people who seem to be on the same bent as I am. I'm not a jerk/weirdo, just don't measure up when it comes to mainstream thoughts and life.

I've wanted to visit for years, Lizard Tree needs books. That does it. I don't care who likes who or whatnot, I have a wealth of hardcover and paperbacks to donate. I'm not into squabbles or infighting, christ, I'll just drop off the books and be gone. You clamor for books, you got 'em.

Attend the Squat the Planet meet? It would be interesting, I could schedule the book drop to coincide with the party. I'd be a spectator. I'm sixty-three. I'd behave.

Anyone interested in traveling with me, I'd leave late September from 53227 zip. One rider, the van filled with reading otherwise. Maybe some cases of beer to assuage the savages. Arrive Slab end of September, beginning of October when the meet begins. Witness the event and skedaddle. Don't know where I'd head afterward, possibly visit people around Auburn CA.

I'd enjoy meeting you, Matt.

DuHastMich

Banned
Reaction score
That's awesome, CrimCron. I'm an avid reader, so I'm sure you'll see me there pilfering a book or two while I'm there (promptly returning checked out items, of course).

I, too, am extremely humble and do not mix well with wayward rapscallions. Not to say I don't like knockin' back a beer or twelve, but I'm extremely mild mannered and will call you sir or ma'am (unless first names are requested). I hope in 22 years (when I've managed to make it to 63) that I've got enough stories and positive vibes to pass down to the youngsters as it appears you do, Cron.

I'll be coming via car, too, and hope that when I pass out on my hood that y'all won't paint my face with makeup (if you must, at least color coordinate).

Reactions: Mankini and Odin

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I updated the OP with a video that Cornelius shot showing off some of the people in the slabs and the library itself.

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
w00t! See ya'll there. Been a long time since I've been to the Slabs.

Joe Btfsplk

Reaction score
Matt:

As mentioned, I would like to donate books to the Lizard Tree Library. You typed you have a dim view of East Jesus.

Is the Lizard Tree in the Slabs proper or East Jesus? I want no problems, just want to donate, say howdy, then disappear. I get hassles where I am, don't need to travel 2200 miles for more.

Where's a good spot to neutrally drop off books?

Thanks.

Parker Free

Reaction score
Website
coffeewitholiver.com
I just heard about The Slabs a week ago for the first time and now there's this. I too have a bunch of books that are (I think) pretty interesting for the library. If I can make the drive, I'll have room for at least another body or two ~ maybe share gas costs? I'm 49 so pretty low-key. Seems like a good time to go there and check the place out. Hope I can make it.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
I haven't booked my flight yet (I will have by the end of the month), but I will be flying from the UK into Los Angeles as its the cheapest route. Is there anyone that will be travelling from LA to Slab City?

I'm planning on greyhounding to El Centro and then getting the bus to Niland, but I'm open to other ideas and of course company is always welcome. I'll put a shout out on the road dogs section nearer the time but I thought it might be worth posting here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads