staying warm on the road? how to, tips and/or gear advice? | Squat the Planet

staying warm on the road? how to, tips and/or gear advice?

Crust Wagon

Reaction score
Newshit kid here. Its cold as Santa's ass out here. I live in Michigan for context, so yea it's pretty easy to get your ass frozen to the concrete while you're takin' a dump (don't ask.) Anybody got any advice on how to stay warm out here? Perhaps more advice than just "wear a coat, dipshit." I've got a lil bit of common sense. AAnyways, thanks for readin'.

Reactions: JackSquat

vajrabond

Reaction score
Gear-wise, the cold got better for me when I got a nice 0 degree down sleeping bag. Learning to layer clothes and wearing less or no cotton is better in cold conditions. Travelers seem to like carhartt jackets, but I find them heavy. I layer shirts, wear a wind jacket, and then put a puffy down jacket over that. Helps to blend in more as well. Smart wool leggings or the off brand equivalent are good. Thick wool socks are warm as well as wick moisture from snow. Waterproof shoes or boots.

At the end of the day, wipe your skin off with a rag as the salts from sweating on your skin will make you colder. If you carry a stove, you can heat water to put in bottles and put them in the sleeping bag for extra heat. A tent helps block extra wind chill and possible moisture. Placing a tent behind or between structures to block wind is better. Getting as much off the ground as possible also helps, whether that is an inflatable travel bed and/or stacks of cardboard: anything helps.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
tent helps block extra wind chill and possible moisture. Placing a tent behind or between structures to block wind is better. Getting as much off the ground as possible also helps, whether that is an inflatable travel bed and/or stacks of cardboard: anything helps.

i just wanted to 2nd this. when i was living on the streets of nyc for a few months i really started to appreciate spots that could block the wind. behind fences, in cubby holes behind buildings, anywhere i could keep the wind off me improved my ability to retain heat by quite a bit.

where are you in michigan? i know a few folks out there. it's gonna get a lot colder out there soon, i'd advise moving south if you can. let us know if you need any advice on that.

Crust Wagon

Reaction score
i just wanted to 2nd this. when i was living on the streets of nyc for a few months i really started to appreciate spots that could block the wind. behind fences, in cubby holes behind buildings, anywhere i could keep the wind off me improved my ability to retain heat by quite a bit.

where are you in michigan? i know a few folks out there. it's gonna get a lot colder out there soon, i'd advise moving south if you can. let us know if you need any advice on that.

Livin' near Ann Arbor in a town called Fenton. I'm housed rn, but making plans to hit the road as soon as my birthday rolls around. Just kinda frustrated with a controlling family and a generally unaccepting atmosphere. I've got a buddy of mine who might be able to lend a couch, and another friend who's passing thru to see me and potentially help me get the fuck outta this shithole.

vajrabond

Reaction score
Yeah, learning to travel south and seasonally is really just the best way to do it. It's a hassle to be anywhere severely cold when you could be in the desert. Be careful and have backup plans, as sometimes the first person isn't a great teacher or influence when first living on the road.

I just remembered some other tips. I survived a really cold week hiking by wrapping an emergency blanket around a sleeping bag. If you are surviving the winter in one place and can leave stuff set up, you can collect blankets, jackets, etc for extra warmth at night. Some folks put blankets over the tent for extra padding until morning.

MFB

Reaction score
Outside of gear I always like booze, specifically whiskey, when the wind cut colds.
I understand booze is proven to lower core body temp, but it works for me!

Crust Wagon

Reaction score
Outside of gear I always like booze, specifically whiskey, when the wind cut colds.
aw yea, someone told me they would heat up whiskey and drink it. that'll definitely do it.

EmmaAintDead

Pro-Crime /// Anti-Peace
Reaction score
Newspaper is a fantastic insulator. It's lightweight and it's free. If you need a few degrees extra protection, line your coat, pants, shoes, sleep bag, anything at all with a few pages. You'll feel like a jackass the first time you do it, but you'll stop feeling like a jackass when you see how well it works.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
As much as I enjoy booze, it’s the absolute worst thing to do to stay warm.

Johny

Reaction score
I made it through 2 winters in montana and one in Colorado with the classics , carhartt bibs , jeans and long johns a hoodie (some times with a carhartt vest ) and a oil skin duster beanie and gloves , decent boots are also a must and dry socks.

Reactions: JackSquat and Gin

Tekamthi

Reaction score
eat lots of cheap, at least marginally nutritious food... force yourself to eat when its cold even if you're not really hungry, or accustomed to eating less to save $$ or whatever... if you're smart you can get a 500+ calories in you for less than a dollar. Once you're fed, move around at night when its cold, and sleep during the day when its warmer out, if you can. Don't let yourself sweat ever, no matter what

Reactions: JackSquat and Gin

vajrabond

Reaction score
Having just traveled over some cold mountains, I'm reminded you should put battery packs and cellphone in your sleeping bag at night. Otherwise, the cold will deplete the power to zero overnight. Such can put you in a dangerous situation in the wrong circumstances.

Reactions: JackSquat and J666

Johny

Reaction score
I also have a MSR pocket rocket stove to heat water and put it in metal water bottles.
Through that in your sleeping bag and it keeps your water from freezing and you warm also.

RavenOnTheNethervoid

Reaction score
This may or may not be helpful, but I've seen $1 pocket warmers at the dollar tree and other such stores, especially camping stores, which work wonders. It really only helps with extremities being cold, and they're temporary, but it is something to maybe keep in mind as an option too.
Disposable warmers are pretty indispensable.

In my experience, efficacy may vary by batch/brand, but they're generally a good idea. Some lables advise the product works better in an air-restricted environment; some claim they are air-activated. Generally, I've used them in similar ways.

There are adhesive type and those without. Sometimes the adhesive works well enough to stay even while walking, and it lifts away a bit of the outer surface of the fabric to which it was attached; sometimes the adhesive works less than wishing the warmer would stick. Some are thin (adhesive toe warmers, for instance); some are relatively thick (hand warmers that are basically little packets, for example). Invisible tape works pretty well to keep the poorly adhered warmers in place, and give extra security to those that seem to be sticking well on their own.

For the thin, adhesive style toe warmers, a method that's worked for me is to layer socks and warmers. Usually, only one warmer per foot is enough. The lables say they shouldn't be placed directly on the skin, and I've usually gone along with that. Thin cotton socks (the otherwise relatively useless-seeming 'sport' or 'no-show' socks work very well for this) go on the feet, which should be as close to clean and dry as one can manage. Adhere the toe warmer in a way that's comfortable for you. My toes are fussy, so i have to situate the warmer at a particular angle. Consider focusing on the ends of the toes more than the base near the ball of the feet. When you tape, please make sure to keep the tape lose enough to wiggle the toes. My fussy toes appreciate allowance for wiggling, bending, stretching, and spreading out width-wise. Over that, wear a heavier sock. The socks I've been wearing as an outer layer are some kind of wicking cotton-poly blend, purchased on sale at a regional supermarket for a very low price. I recommend natural plant fibres, synthetics, or a blend of both.

The packet type warmers can also be taped to the toes. In my experience, it is worth paying a bit extra for the thin toe warmers instead, as the packets can become very uncomfortable, even when walking a short distance. They've been known to harden while in use, and that can be even worse than simply the discomfort of the bulkiness.

For sleeping, chilling, whatever isn't walking, you can make a kind of bunting for the feet using a smaller blanket and some sort of article to tie with. This method is not highly recommended if one is going to need to get up and out in a hurry, although I'm sure one could creatively secure their foot blanket bundle in such way that is effective yet easy to become free from, if one is so capable. The downside to that is that if you need to walk outside right away, you don't have a warmer already on your feet, as you would with the adhesive kind. It can be a balance between wearing socks heavy enough (especially if the warmer stops working or losses significant warmth), and wearing socks thin enough (to feel the warmth from the product more directly). The packet might shift if you haven't taped it to your feet or the inside of your foot bundle. (I've woken to my feet rearranging the packet/s, the blanket, even the tie, from the inside -- fussy feet). Obviously, don't tie the bunting too tightly on any part of you. A cheap dollar store polyester 'fashion scarf' will work, as will a robe tie, or anything of similar nature.

The foot warmers were more expensive than the toe warmers, and i don't remember using them very well. Best i currently recall, the toe warmers worked better for me, and the cost difference reinforced the preference. Availability might also have been a factor. They seem a product many people 'stock up' when they're available.

As for hands, I'm incorrigible when it comes to keeping mine warm, and so have little experience using warmers for hands. I think i tried the pocket method once, with poor results, and figured they weren't worth the bother. However, even i will keep my hands under blankets, in my coat, under clothes, etc., at some point, and i encourage everyone to take better care of themself (and each other) than i.

My circulation is pretty healthy; I've usually tended to be ok with cooler digits and extremities; my main concern is usually my toes. Your needs and results may vary. Be safe. Heed warnings and cautions over any of my advice where and when applicable.

My personal recommendation for anyone who is financially able would be to gift these to humans in need -- their utility, in my opinion, can't be understated. Please don't horde them, though -- some of us can only afford / only have space to buy a pair or a few at a time. Anyone working with a 'shelter', or other entity distributing needed goods to the needful people, should, in my opinion, seriously consider distributing these. If you buy stock, buy stock in these. (I'm woefully underqualified to be offering stock tips; I'm simply emphasizing my fondness for, and the usefulness of, toe warmers).

TL/DR: Various disposable warmers are useful. Thin toe warmers are very useful. Inexpensive tape can help keep them in place. Consider wearing between two pair of socks per foot. Be safe. Don't horde.

~peace~

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
Longjohns obviously, I like the old fashioned one piece style with the emergency exit in the back. Also, go down to the thrift store and get a wool sweater, just like grandpa used to wear. Grandpa was a wise man and those sweaters really do work wonders to warm you up. Other than that put a pair of bibs (insulated or not...up to you) with a couple of hoodies and a Carhartt jacket. Mittens will keep your hands warmer than gloves though you loose some dexterity. Go get a good touque too eh!

seabeer

Reaction score
Website
theskilledsurvivor.com
Maybe consider actual heat sources like hand warmers, a fire, or a nalgene full of hot water if you want to feel more comfortable in cold weather.

Also, another thing I just thought of, it is important not to let yourself get cold. It is a lot harder to get warm after becoming cold than it is to maintain your warmth.

Gin

Reaction score
This may or may not be helpful, but I've seen $1 pocket warmers at the dollar tree and other such stores, especially camping stores, which work wonders. It really only helps with extremities being cold, and they're temporary, but it is something to maybe keep in mind as an option too.

I sleep w/them. 1 in my waistband in back, 1 in my bra, & in my hat as ear warmers when it's cold.

Gin

Reaction score
T
Disposable warmers are pretty indispensable.

In my experience, efficacy may vary by batch/brand, but they're generally a good idea. Some lables advise the product works better in an air-restricted environment; some claim they are air-activated. Generally, I've used them in similar ways.

There are adhesive type and those without. Sometimes the adhesive works well enough to stay even while walking, and it lifts away a bit of the outer surface of the fabric to which it was attached; sometimes the adhesive works less than wishing the warmer would stick. Some are thin (adhesive toe warmers, for instance); some are relatively thick (hand warmers that are basically little packets, for example). Invisible tape works pretty well to keep the poorly adhered warmers in place, and give extra security to those that seem to be sticking well on their own.

For the thin, adhesive style toe warmers, a method that's worked for me is to layer socks and warmers. Usually, only one warmer per foot is enough. The lables say they shouldn't be placed directly on the skin, and I've usually gone along with that. Thin cotton socks (the otherwise relatively useless-seeming 'sport' or 'no-show' socks work very well for this) go on the feet, which should be as close to clean and dry as one can manage. Adhere the toe warmer in a way that's comfortable for you. My toes are fussy, so i have to situate the warmer at a particular angle. Consider focusing on the ends of the toes more than the base near the ball of the feet. When you tape, please make sure to keep the tape lose enough to wiggle the toes. My fussy toes appreciate allowance for wiggling, bending, stretching, and spreading out width-wise. Over that, wear a heavier sock. The socks I've been wearing as an outer layer are some kind of wicking cotton-poly blend, purchased on sale at a regional supermarket for a very low price. I recommend natural plant fibres, synthetics, or a blend of both.

The packet type warmers can also be taped to the toes. In my experience, it is worth paying a bit extra for the thin toe warmers instead, as the packets can become very uncomfortable, even when walking a short distance. They've been known to harden while in use, and that can be even worse than simply the discomfort of the bulkiness.

For sleeping, chilling, whatever isn't walking, you can make a kind of bunting for the feet using a smaller blanket and some sort of article to tie with. This method is not highly recommended if one is going to need to get up and out in a hurry, although I'm sure one could creatively secure their foot blanket bundle in such way that is effective yet easy to become free from, if one is so capable. The downside to that is that if you need to walk outside right away, you don't have a warmer already on your feet, as you would with the adhesive kind. It can be a balance between wearing socks heavy enough (especially if the warmer stops working or losses significant warmth), and wearing socks thin enough (to feel the warmth from the product more directly). The packet might shift if you haven't taped it to your feet or the inside of your foot bundle. (I've woken to my feet rearranging the packet/s, the blanket, even the tie, from the inside -- fussy feet). Obviously, don't tie the bunting too tightly on any part of you. A cheap dollar store polyester 'fashion scarf' will work, as will a robe tie, or anything of similar nature.

The foot warmers were more expensive than the toe warmers, and i don't remember using them very well. Best i currently recall, the toe warmers worked better for me, and the cost difference reinforced the preference. Availability might also have been a factor. They seem a product many people 'stock up' when they're available.

As for hands, I'm incorrigible when it comes to keeping mine warm, and so have little experience using warmers for hands. I think i tried the pocket method once, with poor results, and figured they weren't worth the bother. However, even i will keep my hands under blankets, in my coat, under clothes, etc., at some point, and i encourage everyone to take better care of themself (and each other) than i.

My circulation is pretty healthy; I've usually tended to be ok with cooler digits and extremities; my main concern is usually my toes. Your needs and results may vary. Be safe. Heed warnings and cautions over any of my advice where and when applicable.

My personal recommendation for anyone who is financially able would be to gift these to humans in need -- their utility, in my opinion, can't be understated. Please don't horde them, though -- some of us can only afford / only have space to buy a pair or a few at a time. Anyone working with a 'shelter', or other entity distributing needed goods to the needful people, should, in my opinion, seriously consider distributing these. If you buy stock, buy stock in these. (I'm woefully underqualified to be offering stock tips; I'm simply emphasizing my fondness for, and the usefulness of, toe warmers).

TL/DR: Various disposable warmers are useful. Thin toe warmers are very useful. Inexpensive tape can help keep them in place. Consider wearing between two pair of socks per foot. Be safe. Don't horde.

~peace~

Thin pair of socks & a thick pair & slide warmer between em 👍I too am a fan of warmers & sleep w/em all over me

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads