sober travellers roll call | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

sober travellers roll call

IraKai

Reaction score
Former drinker here - every day's a struggle. I'm back in my hometown again but I will say travelling sober is the hardest fucking thing I have ever done. All I crave is just a drink to numb everything, yaknow? Being housed up is a little better, but I'm still dirt broke and stressed and some days are harder than others.

Damn, just realized how much of a bummer this post was!

Hang in there. Shit gets easier, slowly, but it does. If ya need some one to talk to when ur fiending, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Reactions: L0s3r

IraKai

Reaction score
Damn, a year is a while! Fucking great job, seriously. Even if you ever do fuck up, dont buy unto the narrative that you've thrown everything away and might as well binge to get it out of your system.
Seen that a lot.
Do you have a community / sober support?
If I get cravings for drugs and alcohol, sometimes just engaging in some other form of addictive behavior as a safety net gets me over the hump. Doesn't sound like the "healthy" thing but fuck it whatever works right?

L0s3r

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try not to relapse, because I know I wouldn't be able to stop. I don't have much of a community, I kept it mostly secret between my friends and I (who were very helpful, and I ditched the ones who weren't) I confessed to my dad earlier this year and he didn't really seem to care or it just didn't register, he still offers me beers lol. I have a close friend I travel and live with and she's in the same boat, so we kinda rely on eachother for sobriety. So I guess there's that.

I smoked cigarellos for a bit but I felt myself using it as a replacement for alcohol so I stop buying them after my second pack. 😬

Des

Reaction score
@scutellaria
I'll be in Tucson for a couple months. Fuck I forgot about that, is that ooglecat or scalley? When is it? Buncha my friends r goin...might try to make that.
My plans are pretty all over the place. Basically trying to set up shop in Tucson for the winter, but still trying to travel his summer and fall.
I'll be in PDX later as well to ship some of my shit to myself in AZ.
Pretty chaotic trying to plan right now.

In regards to what you said about 12 step, yea that's basically why I stopped. Being trans, being an anarchist and a nihilist, it just didn't compute with AA folx. Got shamed a lot. Had a few close comrades that all had the same experience and we all left the rooms around the same time and used each other for support.
I will say that there's a lot of great tools for sobriety and a lot to learn in the rooms. Made some of my very best lifelong friends there.

It always makes me happy to see other travelling folks in recovery killin' it :)
IRAKai come to oogle cat. Youre WTRA now you have to

D

Deleted member 14481

i am truly sorry that yer life experiences have made you feel that its ok to generalize people like this because its racist plain and simple. imagine if this comment was made by a white person about a poc.
I do my best to be sober while traveling these days. I haven't done anything that's lead to any major regrets, but I have had a host because belligerent and defended a rapist, and got mad at me for walking away from him. Of course, he wasn't stupid enough to put his hands on me, but I could have avoided the situation by not engaging in drinking with them, in the first place. I also don't drink with white men, in general, unless I already know them.

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Haven't drunk alcohol in five years.

You know what though, sometimes when out with people, not close friends but just other people, an they ask why your not drinking an your like i don't drink, I don't enjoy it, I dont like it they look at you like what the fuck is wrong with this guy, you know? people are amazed or confused it seems people, I don't know... some people just don't get it, its like they don't know you can have fun or talk without alcohol.

Last edited:

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
I drank a lot when I was younger. I've not gotten drunk in years tho. I enjoy a few cold frothy ones with my son here and there. Friday and Saturday nights or a few during the week I enjoy a few glasses of JD and Coke.

roughdraft

Reaction score
I also don't drink with white men, in general, unless I already know them.

So yr good to drink with any men who you don't already know, aside from white men? why is that? Sounds like a very poor generalization, maybe a man's personality is more significant than his skin color.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy Beans and MFB
D

Deleted member 25988

so ive seen some other posts about folks in recovery travelling, but i thought itd be neat to have a thread where sober folks can just check in and meet each other, connect and give us an idea of how many of us there are. isolation is such a huge part of addiction for me so even just having a reminder that were not slone thst we can look at maybe will be helpful to somebody.

maybe we can just say our names, if were currently travelling, location/direction, if were currently sober or trying toget sober (if you want), a little about stuff you do for your recovery on the road and anything else you wanna share.

note: this thread is not intended to be a discussion of various fellowships, debates on what sobriety means or how other people should be sober or anything like that. strictly a check in, roll call, chance to meet and see each other kinda deal.
also this thread is intended for recovering addicts and alcoholics only (regardless of if you are currently using/drinking), not for straight edge people or people who do not struggle with addiction (meaning you have an uncontrollable or unpredictable response to drugs and/or alcohol and cannot stop/stay stopped when you want to).
if you think you might have a problem with drugs or alcohol or are not sure, youre definitely welcome.

edit:: also a disclaimer - this thread being in the staying healthy section in no way means that using means youre unhealthy, that there is validity to the clean/dirty dichotomy, or anything like that. we decide what healthy means for us and what wellness means for us. using doesnt mean you have to/should want to stop using. but if you do want to, hopefully this thread can show you that you can stop and put you in touch with other people who have. find those who "have whst you want"
Crazy Canuck here, sober since 2012. I'm heading west to Vancouver

Lotus Shaped Potato

Reaction score
Website
www.dhammaflow.org
Quit most drugs a few years back, had a few relapses, been pretty good for the past year and some change. Still struggle with cannabis and planning to quit buying again soon.

One worry I have about travel is being put in more drug culture spots.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Lichenthropy

Reaction score
i was sober for 13 months; no brew, weed, nor gringo smoke. i relapsed this year a few times, but i guess its cuz i dont like being the angry sober asshole and that means i probably have issues other than drinking. im good rn, been working out most mornings and evenings, skating when i can and drawing between work. im not traveling rn but i do want to head west for a bit before it gets too cold back home so i can prep winter chores. yall be safe!

CouchPunx

Reaction score
damn i wish i saw this thread when I was first quitting booze.

what up i'm sober almost five months now, I crash landed in philly where my one sober friend just let me stay indefinitely on her couch and mooch off of her. I'd been pretty much drunk for fourteen years before that. All my friends are drunks and junkies so i've just been alone except for my one friend here, going to a shitty part time job and taking the odd weekend train ride to remind myself i exist.
I've been going to SMART recovery since I hate aa, but I'm about to hit the road again (they all tell me its a bad idea but what the fuck do they know) and i wish I would've figured out aa so i could go to meetings on the road. Everywhere I'm gonna travel to all my friends are gonna be drunk or on drugs so I'm a little scared about that, and just in general about the fact that my entire time travelling has been drunk, or at least with the option of drinking, and I've accumulated a lot of shitheads in that time.

Planning to hit savannah, atlanta, nola, tucson, maybe mexico, then up north for some winter shit. I'd love to meet up with sober folks, or even just hear how y'all who are no longer drinking have managed to travel sober, and maybe what gives you a sense of purpose. I'm not really trying to be a loner but also sobriety is kind of like a nonnegotiable thing for me at this point.

anyways thanks, glad to hear people are making it work

• Love It

scutellaria

Reaction score
damn i wish i saw this thread when I was first quitting booze.

what up i'm sober almost five months now, I crash landed in philly where my one sober friend just let me stay indefinitely on her couch and mooch off of her. I'd been pretty much drunk for fourteen years before that. All my friends are drunks and junkies so i've just been alone except for my one friend here, going to a shitty part time job and taking the odd weekend train ride to remind myself i exist.
I've been going to SMART recovery since I hate aa, but I'm about to hit the road again (they all tell me its a bad idea but what the fuck do they know) and i wish I would've figured out aa so i could go to meetings on the road. Everywhere I'm gonna travel to all my friends are gonna be drunk or on drugs so I'm a little scared about that, and just in general about the fact that my entire time travelling has been drunk, or at least with the option of drinking, and I've accumulated a lot of shitheads in that time.

Planning to hit savannah, atlanta, nola, tucson, maybe mexico, then up north for some winter shit. I'd love to meet up with sober folks, or even just hear how y'all who are no longer drinking have managed to travel sober, and maybe what gives you a sense of purpose. I'm not really trying to be a loner but also sobriety is kind of like a nonnegotiable thing for me at this point.

anyways thanks, glad to hear people are making it work

yoo whats up. ill be in the northeast for a few months working till new years then heading to warm places. i super feel you. its tough and feels super lonesome sometimes.
i was travelling with a close friend all summer who is not sober and its was tough having to set boundaries and i really wanted to get high when i was in portland. i called a sober friend and we talked for a while and that was really helpful and i ended up not getting high.
ive been trying to just focus on like riding places and routes i never have before, been going to meetings as much as i can (sorta, sometimes its hard to get myself when im in unfamiliar places). but i met other sober travellers or ex travellers or people trying tonget their shit together before travelling again and thats been awesome.
i made mysef get an extra phone battey so i always have enough charge to keep in touch with other sober people because thats been really fucking important. also like learning how to have routines and take xare of myself n keep up with my spiritual stuff, which kinda like takes the place of the routines of drinking and using.
ive also been reading a lot this summer and i started playing magic the gathering.
and sometimes i just have to say see ya later, even if its in the middle of the night and means i pss up a chance to sleep inside.

id love to keep in touch if you want other sober travellin buds. hows smart? ive never heard of that. if you find yoursef in new york between like october and new years, ill be there and have a bunch of sober friends there and know good meetings and shit.

anyways sorry if this is scrambled, im super stoked and also trying to be sure im not getting set out right now haha. anyways safe travels hope to run into you sometime

scutellaria

Reaction score
also one of my best friends just moved to philly for school and theyre a sober ex traveller. im sure theyd be willing to be put in touch with you if youd like

CouchPunx

Reaction score
@scutellaria
Hey thanks for this response! This is all helpful, I gotta get back into magic lol, yeah the one really good thing so far is I'm learning guitar, which is a fuckn lifesaver.

And yeah, i'd love to stay in touch, and there's definitely a chance I'll wind up in ny, will def hit you up if that happens.

D

Deleted member 14481

So yr good to drink with any men who you don't already know, aside from white men? why is that? Sounds like a very poor generalization, maybe a man's personality is more significant than his skin color.

Coming from a white (passing) men, right? Have you considerate that I might have life experiences? Have you considered all the historical reasons of why white men shouldn't be trusted? Have you considered that your very attitude in that post with it's assumed entitlements why some people don't trust white men? You didn't, did you? Hm. Some of y'all around here are "all lives matter" and even though you may not say it, it shows. Don't question people not trusting you and what you can and will do with your privilege.

roughdraft

Reaction score
@Inuyoujo ; bigotry and prejudice are wrong and hurtful - regardless of the demographic's privilege.

i didn't choose to be (in a basic way since i occasionally deviate) cis, white, hetero or (biologically) male and it doesn't make me the person you had a bad experience with - basically I don't think anyone should make themselves the victimizer, and noone should be a willfully prejudice bigot - for one's own sake as well as the sake of others.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads