So...Why California? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

So...Why California?

D

Deleted member 2626

ahahah that does sound quite apealing. Ive heard from a lot of other tramps that ones the shit, would be nice to hitch or walk it one of these days finally

N

Nanaki

You get all that in Oregon too, without all the Californians

Actually I'm from Oregon and I can tell you this place is pretty overrun with Californians. But I don't personally hold that against anybody for being from a particular state. I find that narrow-minded.. But whatever is your thing. Actually while living in Portland (which turns out to be my least favorite place ever..!) the only people who weren't stuck up and pretentious were kids from California...But I don't know if that is saying much since a huge majority of people in Oregon I've found to orignially be from California (Or funny enough, Texas.)
I ain't got no beef with California, but I can see how anybody can when you spend way too much time in its cities. I've had some shitty times there and met some shitty people, but I also can say that about any state I've been.

turnip

Reaction score
first off, california takes up 2/3 of the entire west coast. just by default on it's size a lot of people are going to be headed there; laws of probability. if there's more of something it's gonna tend to come up more. if for some stupid reason you've got a die that has 4 of the same number on it it's frequency of showing up will be higher.

the west rules anyway in terms of available wilderness/forest/BLM land to squat in unnoticed, which is a big reason for my southbound travels. it's warmer than washington but just as beautiful. plus, seasonal trim work.

Reactions: roughdraft

joaquim33

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
because it's as far west as you can go before you gotta turn around and start going east again! duh.

and like someone mentioned, it takes up half the west coast. going on a trip to california is like going to baltimore, philly , new york city, boston, vermont, new hampshire and maine.

plus california is beautiful, and there are no mosquitos! at least in the dry country. as a new englander, it always amazes me when i can camp out in the open in cali and sleep the whole night without a net and not wake up covered in mosquito welts. that is probably my #1 favorite thing about california. plus there is fruit everywhere! in peoples yards! lemons! cumquats! oranges! avacados! like dandelions, just growing in peoples yards for the picking!! that always blows my mind.

however, i think the real reason it is so nice there is because it lags a few hundred years behind the east coast in being arrived at and developed by western civilization. just wait, in a few hundred years it'll probably all look just like I-95.

Reactions: wokofshame
B

Benny

Stay out of Southern California unless you know someone. It's a nightmare to escape because people are assholes and it's nearly impossible to get a ride. There has been several travelling kids that i bought bus fares for because i knew they would get trapped.

Reactions: BCstranger

BCstranger

Reaction score
it's all about the 1 and the 101 for sure. i personally like mendo better than humbo. alot nicer people.

Muu

Reaction score
I go to Cali for Haight-Ashburry, weed, beaches, and bitches. And hobo camp and remmington hotsprings. and the mad doser. in fact, i just go to california, because everything i want there is easily obtainable. and I make decent money spanging.

Doc Road

Reaction score
You can come up pretty well there,food,clothes,bikes,gadgets,weed,public trans,and alto going on in terms festibles art/Music,are all found in abundance. Once you get dialed in its a candy land. The problem is hordes of fake ass diluted morons,that flock there too. Beware the rich and privileged,they hide amongst the rest of us,pretending,never really having a clue,how to care. Or the angry, violent ,ignorant,medicated or in need of meds. Its a true mad house. A bring your friends state. A retreat one dose solo. Of course im son of immigrants,and liberated blue coller.. My view is biest..

SeymourSparechange

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Anyone got a suggestion for decent places in Northern Cali to spange?

SeymourSparechange

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
What're Sacramento and the Bay Area like? How's Berkeley? I've heard good things about it.

BradKajukenbo

Reaction score
Really? San Fran?

How's Santa Cruz specifically?

My son Brian was stuck in Santa Cruz Last November. He had to fly a sign to get the part he needed for his car which only took him 4 hours. A tow truck stopped him as he was starting to work on his car and helped my son. I've been there a few times. Its fun to get away from the everyday grind and just go hang out on the beach for the weekend.

Its been a few years since I was in San Fran. A few times a year me and my son KC will drawl out of a hat a place to go for the weekend or a week. I have a Ford Expedition so its like a motel on wheels. Never around the Bay Area have we ever been hassled about camping in our truck. We put a tent on the beach in Half Moon Bay a couple nights. Lots of people would stop and ask us if we needed help. Never hassled by law enforcement.

SeymourSparechange

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
That helps, thanks!

Hey, how're the cops there? Are there many anti-homeless laws or attitudes from locals/law enforcement I should be aware of? What about gangs?

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads