So, whose into anarchism/permaculture/primitive skills/anarchism/fermentation... | Squat the Planet

So, whose into anarchism/permaculture/primitive skills/anarchism/fermentation...

hassysmacker

Reaction score
So, whose really into anarchism/permaculture/primitive skills/fermentation/rewilding/naturalism/environmentalism/rewilding/herbalism/radical analysis of things like gender roles/etc etc etc as well as traveling?

I mean obviously this doesn't preclude you from enjoying getting drunk, or busking, or spanging, or whatever, but who isn't an obnoxious jerkface, and is actually passionate about some or all of the things I just listed (as opposed to just getting drunk allll the time)?

Just curious, as I am one of those people. And that being said, I don't necessarrily have a problem with people who don't fall into this category, as I have plenty of friends who don't, but I figure it's nice to know who shares similar interests.

Reactions: Roxii Beans

hassysmacker

Reaction score
Its not a headache, it's being wicked excited about all of it! Which is why I'm worktrading on this permaculture farm till I hit the road again in September! And of course I'm not doing all those things all the time (though quite often), it's just stuff that I'm generally interested in and pursue, as opposed to it just being a notion.

M

Mouse

well duh. to ME it would seem like a headache. then again, I'm more into art and media.. but hte good thing about that is that I can gear my creative efforts toward new things I learn/want to learn. It's just that right now I'm ass deep in learning about art and media by itself. lol

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
So, whose really into anarchism/permaculture/primitive skills/fermentation/rewilding/naturalism/environmentalism/rewilding/herbalism/radical analysis of things like gender roles/etc etc etc as well as traveling?

I mean obviously this doesn't preclude you from enjoying getting drunk, or busking, or spanging, or whatever, but who isn't an obnoxious jerkface, and is actually passionate about some or all of the things I just listed (as opposed to just getting drunk allll the time)?

Just curious, as I am one of those people. And that being said, I don't necessarrily have a problem with people who don't fall into this category, as I have plenty of friends who don't, but I figure it's nice to know who shares similar interests.

Up the punxwhocare!
Or... non-punks. Especially non-punks I guess.

Sorry for not replying to your PM.

hassysmacker

Reaction score
I'm currently at the Commonweal garden site of the Regenerative Design Institute (Regenerative Design Institute) in Bolinas, CA. Certainly not a radical or punk or anarchist place, but learning tons and that makes it worth it! So I get outta here in a month, and head...elsewhere?

BanMatt

Reaction score
Could you recommend any anarchist or radical organization where one could offer some sort of help/ volunteer work? Actually it doesnt have to be anarch/radical. Ive looked into a few farms and communes but never have luck with getting hooked up. Remember I'm a travel so I essentially have nothing but my legs and hands. But to answer your question, I am to an extent. I regret that fact that I never find like minded people who aren't elitist or something of the like. I just want to learn more and help on a farm or in impoverished areas without feeling like have to sell my soul to a group or be 100% just like 'em.

Reactions: zapporra

hassysmacker

Reaction score
As far as just learning the nitty gritty of organic farming, there is always WWOOFing. I cannot vouch for any specific farms, having not done it. But you pay $25 for a years access to their directory of organic farms looking for volunteers in exchange for room, board, and occasionally, a stipend. SOme are awesome, some are not, it's hard to tell whose who, as the directory does not a reviews/comments.

Unfortunately a lot of permaculture worktrades and internships and such want people to previously have taken a Permaculture Design Course which are typically a decent chunk of change.

There are primitive skills internships.

Basically, I have no specific answer to your question, ya just gotta look into it. Google volunteer and/or worktrade attached to whatever situation you're looking for: permaculture, organic farming, primitive skills, homesteading, whatever.

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
Up the punxwhocare!
Or... non-punks. Especially non-punks I guess.

lol, I have seen WAY too much apathy in the "traveler community'" it is pretty fucking sad.
I am not really in to any of the "generic traveler" things (spanging, busking, drinking, ect.), it is boring....
And it's pretty shitty to travel with people who are, I guess that's why I travel alone most of the time =p

But yeah, I consider my self a primitivist of some sort. Dig allot of the things you listed.

Detrivore

Reaction score
yes, all of the above. I tried fermenting grains for beer from a huge pile of wheat spilled off a grainer once to no avail. I have worked on a bunch of organic farms and as silly as it sounds on this thread, I always think "I wish punks were into this instead of hippys"

I don't care to articulate it that well right now but most of the earth-centric crowd lack the anger/politics that seem to make it all meaningful. Also hippys are lazy and talk slow and concentrate only on positive feelings.

A lot of what i used to value in dumpstering, hitchhiking, railriding, not working, living off excess of a city has been good training but ultimately I'd like to be responsibly embedded in a permaculture eventually.

I have been thinking about getting a new wwoof membership, if i do, I will let people PM me for the password to check on farms online.

BanMatt

Reaction score
I have had no luck being able to get hooked up on a farm through any website. I get really discourage because I hear all these stories of traveling kids doing it but I can't even come close to getting my foot in the door. Hell most of the time anyone I meet who is into any of the things mentioned above they treat me like I'm a conformed ignorant person or a scum fuck. Which I am neither. elitism is a bitch when all you want is to be informed and involved.

Reactions: zapporra

hassysmacker

Reaction score
detrivore: yeah i totally hear you about the hippy thing. about the solely positivizing thing, lacking appropriate rage against the state etc, thing, just a total lack of radical analysis. that being said, i'm currently nearing the end of a 6 month permaculture internship just north of SF, with regenerativedesign.org, and it's totally one of those places. however i'm learning and gaining so much from it that i'll be able to take away with me, so in the end its totally totally worth it. however that being said, i can;t wait to hit the road and head up towards the NW i think as of september...

BanMatt

Reaction score
Oh I also wanna add that if you are into all this look into sovereign citizenship. Study and read as MUCH as you can about it.
I suggest this book "Title 4 Flag Say's You're Schwag" by J.M. Sovereign Godsent

AmandaLynn

Reaction score
yes, interested in all of the above.

I think it's a good point that dumpstering/hitching/hopping/busking whatever are really awesome ways to live off the excess of society but, you're still dependant on society in some form. Permaculture and sustainable lifestyle are where it's at! Unfortunatly that usually means not traveling.

I've also seen some of that elitism, but I think it exists in every aspect of various counter-culture. It is tough to get into it first off because of dollars. I would also recommend WWOOF. I've noticed some wwoof farms that are just barely organic and really just want "free labor" but that's my only negative comment about wwoof. I'm not sure how to combat that elitism other than just be yourself and keep looking for a community where that's okay. If someone or a bunch of someones want to think they're better than everyone else than fuck them, I probably don't want to work/live/play with them anyway, right?

Fuck buying booze all the time. Hard cider is one of the simplest ferments you can do, mead is fairly simple too. Once again these require being in one place for a few weeks, or at the very least a car.

As far a as feminism goes. Also yes. I see sexism in both the traveling and anarchist communities. It's just something I think everyone should be aware of in everyday interactions.

But anyways, hell yeah about caring about all these things, I used to not really just give a shit and travel, drink and bum around(which is totally fine and awesome in it's own way) but I've found that my travels have been so much more rewarding since getting involved in these things, and others too!!!

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Shouldn't this be in Politics and Anarchism?

Anyway, there was a time I was slightly into these things. That time has since passed.

stanktank

Reaction score
i'm with conner. for me it got to the point where a lot of kids i met who are into this sort of stuff are ONLY in to this sort of stuff and you can't really talk about anything else with them, almost uppity and prissy and elitist. No offense but to me it's just as bad as a person who's one dimensional about sports or religion or something. could i be wrong about those kids? absolutely, and i probably am. but regardless, that's how those folks felt to me and i just kinda moved on passed that.

That being said, you could probably get away with calling me one dimensional about music. so...touche.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads