So basically I'm ready to start life.

goldilocks

Reaction score
My name is Savannah and I just turned 17. Ready to start traveling and enjoy whatever life has to offer other than school and rules. I've run away a few times only to be introduced to some form of bad luck. Add me as a friend, message me, read my "about me"... I don't care. If you have any advice about being a minor and being on the road, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, I live in SC (pee dee area) with my dad, and I visit my mom in Houston quite a lot. If you wanna hang just hit me up.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Welcome! There are some in depth discussions here about minors and the road, runaways, etc., make sure to search before starting a thread, and don't be afraid to bring those threads back from the past if you have a question or anything to say about it. Safe travels!

st1tch

Reaction score
i'm in the exact same boat as you, i'm debating whether to wait a year or not, i think it's probably worth it but it's the last fucking thing i want to do.

either way, welcome to StP, and safe travels

fluke1986

Reaction score
waiting a year is a very smart thing. when on the road, you come across ALOT of cops, expecially when involved in illegal activities. and the last thing you want is to be underage, cuz most likely they will just send you back to where you came from. and where is the point in that. not to memtion all the other fucked up horror stories i hear from all the runaways. i suggest while you wait, work on your busking. learn a few songs on the guitar..or just start memorizing as many jokes as you can. something that will come in handy when your 2 bucks short of a 40oz.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
I didn't wait left pretty much at 16, and I turned out just fine....besides the beligerent drunk asshole part of me I'm ok!! haha

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Howdy,and glad you found the site!
I'm going to be the old fart for a minute.Wait the year.Learn how to make a fire in the pouring rain at 34 degrees.Learn how to fly a sign that gets some smiles/rides/change.Learn how to fight like its for keeps(it always is).LEARN HOW TO OBSERVE EVERYTHING AND MAKE FAST LIFE DECISONS!This applies to all you "younguns",the ones that feel the crush of your life whereever you are.Do some overnights,shortruns,and LEARN.I've been on and off the road more years than most of you have been alive,and the skills that you will need are clear and absolute.They will keep you alive and traveling from adventure to adventure,instead of in juv or in a bodybag.One of the greatest things about this site is that there is so much info,and its free,without some of the scars that you get finding out the same info out on the road.
Anyhow,hope this is some help.Make some friends,share your info(everybody has some!),and safe travels.

M

Monkeywrench

I did the same thing at your age, sister.
Traveling/being on the street at 17 is fucking DIFFICULT. Fluke has it right when he said wait and work on your busking. Network on here, make some good friends (it's easy!), read as much as you can on the forums and learn from our experiences. Welcome to StP and Good Luck!

deadriotpunk

Reaction score
wait and working on songs and shit is a very good idea, plus if u would end up traveling wit sumone they could get in trouble for being wit u if ur underage, but i also say welcome to StP hope this site gets the year to go by a lil faster

A better World

Reaction score
i decided to wait until i was 18 got arrested at 17 now have to wait until april to finish my probation then get the hell out of here doesnt really help you out at all but i can relate i wish i got out earlier but maybe its for the better

smellsea

Reaction score
yeah, find some one else 17 to travel with so you dont have to deal with the shitty " i don't wanna harbor a runaway" thing. get a dog. you'll be set.

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
Is seventeen that much of a deal? I remember being kicked out of my house and getting the cops called on me, and they ended up saying they couldn't do anything because I was seventeen.

Meh, I know what it's like to not be able to leave though. Fuck probation; I should've taken the jail time.

mike

Spit

Reaction score
Hey Goldilocks, this is for you or anyone in your situation.

I lived in South Carolina too and I have been told by cops that you're allowed to leave when your 17 but they can't make you go home. They were unclear about leaving the state though.

The important info you should at least know is that since your legally aloud to leave whenever, your mother or father can't report you to missing persons, so if a cop runs your name anywhere you wont appear as a runaway. you can take advantage of teen homeless shelters too.

There's a catch though. They can still get you for truancy, I got around this one by being in an online high school where I could get to a computer at least once a week and log-in to do my work.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads