slab city of the east if it was even were a thing. | Squat the Planet

slab city of the east if it was even were a thing.

tobepxt

Reaction score
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
in your opinion, where in all the eastern united states would something like what we see in the slabs be even remotely possible , and why? im curious what others think. what states, massive areas are out there where? i kinda assume not, but if i didnt know about slab city i wouldnt think a place like that was real either. another question is if there was an eastern outpost and it could be anywhere... where would you place it?

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
There's Adirondack State Park, which is like 1/5 of the very large state (for the east coast) of NY. The thing is, the east is a lot smaller- those helicopter overflights can be a motherfucker to clandestine city-building

There are also a couple abandoned ghost towns in NY state, along abandoned railroad lines, and lots of abandoned factories in NY state and all over the rust belt (that's why they call it that) just waiting for you kids to start your pirate utopias in. Here is a link to a book to get you started finding some in NY:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0813565847/

But yeah, besides The Man being a lot closer in the east, there is winter.

Last edited:

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
Can always hit the seas and build a hobo fleet
that would be somethin, huge floatilla somewhere in calmer waters. I think i remember on Human Planet there was a group of people that lived entirley on the water on boats and stilt houses.

ClashCityRkr

Reaction score
Well, it would certainly be in a wooded area, as there are no deserts this side of the nation. The above comments are correct. New York has large swathes of predominantly undisturbed and undeveloped land, mostly on state or national park grounds. Maine is much the same, but the climate in itself can be unforgiving for the larger portion of the year, as rings true for the White Mountain region of New Hampshire. I'd argue that you could find quite a few places in Virginia, another large state, and if you consider West Virginia east enough, from what I hear, you can get away with almost anything in Appalachia.

As for the "large abandoned military base" feature of the Slabs, although i'm sure it exists, i'm not sure exactly where or if it were in an isolated enough location to squat peacefully.

BardoBard

Reaction score
that would be somethin, huge floatilla somewhere in calmer waters. I think i remember on Human Planet there was a group of people that lived entirley on the water on boats and stilt houses.

Id realistically be down to do a long distance kayak trip, the investment of large boats is too much though

Also a loner and dont hang around groups for long

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Building something similar on the northeast coast for the summer and migrating to the slabs for the winter would be ideal.

The east would also be sick cause you could actually grow food and be more sustainable!

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Its amazing to me that the slabs are still there. Personally I feel like it's only a matter of time b4 there is a cabosh put to it but I dont know shit about it. As far as anything like it happening anyplace else idk either but would think that the man won't like it and from what I'm hear is a little more tough on the east.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads