Should I bring my iPhone? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Should I bring my iPhone?

shittickit

Reaction score
bring it with you its convenient but be on gaurd before bringing it out ive had freinds who've had laptops they got destroyed before they got stolen but not everybody new at all times they were there

Matt aka Sparks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I would, I was thinking about buying an Ipod Touch myself. Has all the capabilities of the iPhone but without the monthly cost. But yeah don't flash it around.

O

OFFER

can come in handy, you can like call in train cars and find you a good ride, takes out some of the "adventure" aspect though, and you'll be more likely to drunk dial your folks.....haha

Myechtatel

Reaction score
If you're like me, you want it because of the GPS and apps, not the actual phone. That's why "20 dollar walmart prepaid phone" isnt gonna help. I have a Gravity 3 with 3G web. it's nowhere near as fancy or expensive as an iphone but it has google maps(which is better than any GPS in my opinion). therefore, i took it with me. having GPS is awesome. you can look for spots in the woods to crash, plan routes to hitchhike, find good spots to busk/spange, and find places you might need to go to(post office, food stamp office, library, etc. it's made my life a hell of a lot easier. it'll break eventually but probably long after it goes out of date. technology moves so fast that in 1-2 years your iphone will be worthless and it really wont matter anymore. i dont think anyone would rob you for it. I mean, obviously, don't flash it around the homebums but even still, think about it; would you rob a yuppie or a dirty kid with a backpack? ive got a little rubber protective type thing on my phone and it stays in my pocket but if you're worried about it, get a nicer case/protective cover for it.

Crisss

Reaction score
I personally take my iphone with me where ever i go. just incase i do get into a jam and need to either look at a map. or hop on couchsurfing.
just dont show to many people and u should be fine.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
ive recently obtained an ipod touch and i love it. the weather app= helpfull. not having to carry cds= awesome. pictures without needing a phone= great. small and can do computer stuff= woo
calander, calculater ,alarm clock ,dog whistle ,drinking games ,female menstrule calender ,job search, clock... i could go on

in other words if you can keep track of shit, go for it. if your careless and stupid, fuck no.

thisisme

Reaction score
If you're like me, you want it because of the GPS and apps, not the actual phone. That's why "20 dollar walmart prepaid phone" isnt gonna help. I have a Gravity 3 with 3G web. it's nowhere near as fancy or expensive as an iphone but it has google maps(which is better than any GPS in my opinion). therefore, i took it with me. having GPS is awesome. you can look for spots in the woods to crash, plan routes to hitchhike, find good spots to busk/spange, and find places you might need to go to(post office, food stamp office, library, etc. it's made my life a hell of a lot easier. it'll break eventually but probably long after it goes out of date. technology moves so fast that in 1-2 years your iphone will be worthless and it really wont matter anymore. i dont think anyone would rob you for it. I mean, obviously, don't flash it around the homebums but even still, think about it; would you rob a yuppie or a dirty kid with a backpack? ive got a little rubber protective type thing on my phone and it stays in my pocket but if you're worried about it, get a nicer case/protective cover for it.
there are plenty of people out there who would definitely rob you for it, or steal it from under your nose. Dont think just cause ur a traveler people arent going to take ur shit. some people dont give a fuck. travelers steal from other travelers all the time. some people are just assholes. it sucks but its reality. If you do decide to bring it just use common sense and dont flash it around. keep it on you and dont keep ur eye off it while its charging. ive traveled with one for about a year now and have had it stolen twice while charging it. its super useful for all the reasons already mentioned. GPS and being able to keep in touch with my family and close friends are the two biggest perks for me. Its pricey but i get a wingnut check anyways so if the government wants to pay for me to have an iphone cool with me. it is definitely ooglish haha but i dont care. i know who i am and its damn useful.

K

katbastard

i have a mytouch slide android phone, and i use it every day, i have my phone hacked and can do just about anything with it. i have had a smart type phone since 2007 and has been every useful in all of my travels. i also travel with a laptop. the bastard way of the high tech hobo.. lol

FANCY

Reaction score
I have one and it's great as far as being on a train and knowing where I am and where it looks safest to get off, but a have to be super conservative with the use of it because iPhone batteries SUCK. but it has gotten me out of some sticky situations and been pretty darn helpful. ESPECIALLY with directions.

dprogram

Reaction score
I'd take it and protect it in my bag sealed in a ziploc and in a pair of jeans all wrapped up. You my need it if you get in a jam. I wouldn't use it for fun or to "chat" with friends. Only in emergencies or when you're at a public spot like the library. It will prove to be invaluable and if you lose it just get a replacement as I'm sure it's insured.

krystlemeth

Reaction score
only read the first page but honestly i say bring it and if it get's lost/stolen/broken, shed a few tears and see it as liberating. i would never drop the dough for any apple product with the exception of my classic ipod that's capable of holding the absurd amount of music i've compiled.

i myself luckily was offered a blackberry for $15 because the fella who owned it went to jail, and his friend was just trying to pass it off for enough to get high that night ha. so a year later, i still have it, and it's been through everything(swimming in my back pocket for 10 minutes, swimming in whiskey, fell in a cup of water, dropped off roof, rain, and various other assumingly damaging shenanigans). convinced the thing is indestructible at this point. makes calls, takes pictures/video, has a flashlight, brickbreaker&pacman, runs apps such as pandora and google maps..definitely made my journey's easy.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads