Should I bring my iPhone?

DCLXVI

Reaction score
I've plenty of experience travelling with and without iPhone. There's never been a problem with it, then again I'm not an idiot who waves it around in front of strangers. It stays in my pocket, not in my bag. It's not too fragile either, they can take more beating than most people assume.

Reaction score
Notice that the people against taking an iPhone have lots of experience traveling.

No shit. Just trying to stay real with the kid. SOME of of us hav been riding since Internet cafe's became an available thing. The road is romantic, and "I do remember Dean Moriarty" Bt pull out a Iphone or even a cell in the wrong crowd and it could cost you our life. Tramping is not a fairy tale to tell the gradkids about. Shit gets REAL. Just a warning, not trying to come off tough. I've seen robbery , rape, unfortunately murder and other perversions out here. Be smart be safe and be fucking CAREFUL!

peace, I hope your days arelong and full of adventure, but "should I bring my iPhone?".. Should you be riding?

Johnny Lightspeed

Reaction score
If I already had one I'd bring it with me and be discreet about having it on me. If anything else I'd just sell it in a pinch pretty much. I hope whoever said they need to make a CCG application for an iphone was kidding.

tallhorseman

Reaction score
If you have it, bring it. Everybody should keep a charged cell phone, even if it's one of those old, half-pound Nokia's. Cause you can call 911 even on a unconnected cell phone.

Just keep it close and don't flash it around to people you don't trust.

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
bring some change and/or a phone card and just use pay phones to make calls.

Pay phones are about %0 covenant, and they can often be a complete bitch in general.
Where cell phones are nifty in ssoo many ways.
I say fuck that, if you have a cell phone, bring it!
It just makes things that much easier

Pickles

Reaction score
Do it. iPhones take incredible photos & videos, you'll always have access to internet, music, games, a scanner, maps, etc. It's a risk, yeah, but so is bringing a nice camera on the road and the rails, which is something I've done for the past 3 months now. I have a good 600 dollar camera that I bring with me, hop trains with, endure rain storms with, take out around other traveling kids (that I trust), etc. I carry it around in a soft case and surround it with soft objects in my pack. The worst problem I've had is that the mirrors fogged up once. And yeah, I care about it and it would suck if it became lost or stolen, but I'd rather have it with me and be able to enjoy using it than sell it for booze or leave it at home. Maybe that's just me.

Reactions: SlimPickins

smellsea

Reaction score
it's always cool to run into people with iphones, just make a nice case for it and try to avoid your back pocket. honestly, i'd be more worried about it getting stolen than anything.

Maxx

Reaction score
i used to travel with this kid mattlanta apparently he had ground scored a blackberry in philly, he always kept it in a plastic PB jar in his pack and only used it for the apps when we were in an secure environment to pull it out. one time he every video recorded this hilarious shouting fest we had with the cops in Pittsburgh. i thought he dealt with it pretty well, but than again he was a big dude.

personally im scared as all hell of those things, one step closer to singularity is you ask me. and alienating as all hell too. theres no vital information you can get on your iphone that you cant get from maps for talking to locals.

ultimately its up to you but i think youd probably have a better traveling experience without one.

M

Monkeywrench

I travel with the Google Droid. Same exact thing, different OS. I've been on the road with it for 6 months now.
I'm sure you have some sort of Maps/Google Maps equivalent on there. I can't tell you HOW MANY times this app has saved my ass in tight spots.
I was hungry and alone in Atlanta, Ga. I google mapped the nearest grocery stores to dumpster.
My road dogs and I were lost in Mississippi, we google mapped our way out and to the highway.
People (dirty kids and crustlords) will give you shit for it, mainly because they feel it's "cheating". But whatever. It's a phone and a tool just like any other. The means don't matter as much as the journey itself does.

Also, it's nice to be able to check websites for prices of things you might need to check out. Greyhound tickets, train schedules, tickets. Where is the nearest liquor and when does it close? Oh, Google! :) LastFM/Pandora and trivia apps are a great way to rock out and pass time when waiting for trains/hitching.

If you're like me and you love taking pictures and sharing them. This is exceedingly faster than shooting on film and waiting to develop them and possibly losing them. It's all a matter of preference, really.

Also, not to sound like a dick--but a smartphone isn't the best phone to let every kid without a phone use. There are people with sticky fingers, and smartphones are easy to hide and pawn.

M

Monkeywrench

Pay phones are about %0 covenant, and they can often be a complete bitch in general.
WORD.

Before I got my fancy ass phone, I used pay phones for YEARS. Fuck that noise.
If you're traveling, and already low on money, spanging or whatever--a long distance call (even to the next fucking state) can cost you up to $6.00-$8.00! I called my folks from Beckley, WVA (they live in DC) and it was $5.00 in quarters. No. Get a phone. Even a pay-as-you-go is ridiculously cheaper.

Pay phones are en route to extinction soon anyway.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Notice that the people against taking an iPhone are the people who don't have experience travelling with one.

>.O

...naturally, yes. It goes to show that those who have it become reliant on it and feel it's necessary or important, and that those who have been traveling without one are just as happy knowing that it's not something they have to buy to keep living their life. Electronics are a shortcut, and I think I speak for a lot of travelers when I say that it's not about the shortcuts.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I am slowly figuring out the multiple quote function. Forgive me for triple posting!

can't tell you HOW MANY times this app has saved my ass in tight spots.
I was hungry and alone in Atlanta, Ga. I google mapped the nearest grocery stores to dumpster.
My road dogs and I were lost in Mississippi, we google mapped our way out and to the highway.
People (dirty kids and crustlords) will give you shit for it, mainly because they feel it's "cheating". But whatever. It's a phone and a tool just like any other. The means don't matter as much as the journey itself does.

If I was that hungry, and without a dumpster, I'd use earned money.
If I was lost in Mississipi, I would have let out a blue streak, thought about how this was all part of the game, repeated the process several times, and would now be reminiscing of the tough times that were good times, just the same. I'm not saying I'd be better in these circumstances, just that there's many ways to deal with each situations, and I think cellphones correspond to the "shortcuts" way of living. I do agree it brings a lot of convenience to someone who isn't just riding and hitching periodically -- as I do -- but that I don't believe modern consumer electronics "save our lives" as often as we thing. Sometimes, yes, but your stories don't sound like you were at the end of your rope. I personally try to keep the electronics to a minimum (not sure whether an iPod and a serviceless cellphone I've used strictly as an alarm clock for the last 2 years is minimal or not), as it helps to recharge me for living more simply within the bounds of my society. That said, I can't side with the crusties with a narrowminded view of how people jsut travel, and what the purpose of that travel should be, especially the concept of "Cheating." Mine is not what yours may be. And also, when did rail riding become an extreme sport? You can perceive somewhat as cheating unless you admit that there is a competition and a lot of rules defining legal play. Not so crusty to do so. Elitest, maybe.

WORD.

Before I got my fancy ass phone, I used pay phones for YEARS. Fuck that noise.
If you're traveling, and already low on money, spanging or whatever--a long distance call (even to the next fucking state) can cost you up to $6.00-$8.00! I called my folks from Beckley, WVA (they live in DC) and it was $5.00 in quarters. No. Get a phone. Even a pay-as-you-go is ridiculously cheaper.
Pay phones are en route to extinction soon anyway.

For now, I cash in on free Internet stations to email people, and use calling cards to call my Internet-oblivious parents and loved ones every month or so. Calling cards save you a lot on payphones. I know that what you are saying about pay phones becoming extinct will be true. The payphoens that are in service and work, are fewer and further and vandalism has been left to decay those which the company no longer cares about. In 10 years, an abandoned phone booth will be about as nostalgic as a a broken walkman is now. My problem with transitioning into a cellphone now is with the fact that I have to sign several-year contracts or spend more on a pay as you go. And either way, you gotta pay roaming charges, and those are the worst. Especially when you're expecting an important call, and your friend from wherever-far-away decides to call you as if you're sitting at home on a Friday night, and you have to pay just to get the call. Does anybody have a suggestion as to a cheap way to make the transition? If I'm overseas for a while, I'll need to get my own number.

nothingcoolatall

Reaction score
hd video, decent stills, gps, mobile internet, compass, millions of useful apps (knot tying, fire building), and also a phone when/ if you need it. with one of those solar chargers, you're set. i say take it. just don't flash it around.

ShadyShaw

Reaction score
well i so didnt read this threat so dont hate!

if you bring it ~ Dont FLAUNT it ~ use it like a tool
Ppl will just take that sh*t i promise
If you do bring it make sure its an a really nice spot in your bag, like if your throw your bag it wont get killled

D

Deleted member 20

If I had an iphone I would carry it. I personally wouldnt be worried about it getting stolen but maybe destroyed. I remember the days before everyone had a cell phone with internet capability. It was a full time activity walking/hitching to library's that hopefully had internet ready computers with guest passes for out of towners. Now though I dont have an apple brand of the newest technomad equipment & apps etc, I do have sprints version of a blackbury that does all I need it to. I doubt the ability to make/receive phone calls is the primary reason for carrying an iphone & though there are fewer payphones around I also have fewer & fewer people that I want to talk to while I am traveling.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads