screamo/emo

xmaggotx

Reaction score
most punk kids are really unedudcated about this and think that punk-pop shit is emo but im talking about real emo. screamo...saetia, portraits of past, circle takes the square, yaphet kotto, OLD sunny day real estate, embrace, rites of spring, evergreen...you get the picture

anyone else into this kind of music? its a huge part of punk rock and hardcore, and i think its a damned important part.

xbocax

Reaction score
circle takes square is screamo????? O.O I guess i like it then. Never thought i did.

iTch

Reaction score
you kids know yr shit. City Of Caterpillar, Circle Takes The Square and Pageninetynine are where it's at. I also dig Botch, Blood Brothers, I guess Converge would work too.
I see where yr coming from with this, but emo has taken new routes, and most people associate it with that terrible "scene kid" music. I hear this genre (original emo) referred often to as Mathcore. I think The Locust might have coined the term..not sure.

xmaggotx

Reaction score
mathcore is different. converge would fit in that catergory but none of those other bands would...i personally think pg99 is waaaay overrated, but their album art is rad. i met a kid with pg99 sleeves once... im honestly not all that into city of caterpillar either...buess its just e, but i've hears SOOO many bands that sound like that...non-melodic screamo. im just not so into it anymore. check out lhasa, japanese screamo. lately ive been into adorno, 3cm tour, the saddest landscape...and of course a lot of 90's emo like christi front drive, constantine sankhathi, boys life etc. stoked to see some other travelin folks are into this. most kids i know who are into this are housies, and theyre all kind of fading out of the "punk" scene as it were. ...ive used to many "...'s" this post...

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Pg.99 has alot of different sounds, and their records are sort of hit or miss (especially doc.7). But their early stuff was alot less metal than their late stuff... they even did a Filth cover!

iTch, Botch is also really rad. I don't know a whole lot about them and only started listning to them a while ago, but I like their sound alot.

xmaggotx, do you like Four Hundred Years? Do they fit in with your definition of screamo?

xbocax

Reaction score
i never got into orchid i know who they are i reeeeeaaallllyyyy try to stay away from anyting or anyone threeonegee just not my scene

christianarchy

Reaction score
pg. 99, orchid, bucket full of teeth, circle takes the square, saetia, embrace, saddest landscape, funeral diner, combatwoundedveteran, tristan tzara, me and him call it us, raein, city of caterpillar, blood brothers, botch..all fucking great bands.
ive been realllllly fucking into daughters too. their kinda pv/mathcore/screamo ish. anyone else like them?
i know what you mean by not many people knowing about screamo. i think peopel think of screamo as bring me the horizon type stuff now. maybe..i dont really know.
i think hardcore and screamo have become somewhat estranged lately and its weird. they go hand in hand for me.
glad people are into this stuff.
i wish my band sounded more like this. its a tough sound to get in a 2 piece.

bote

Reaction score
I was talking about this very thing to a friend a couple days ago, how the pop culture ¨emo¨ thing is a soulless bastardization.
But a lot of these bands are new to me, I´ve been checking them out, thanks for the recommendations...

And not screamo cause there´s no screaming but pretty math sound and definitely a 2-piece to aspire to

i really like that song, from 2:00 is some serious syncopation

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
What do y'all think of A Day in Black and White?
I have their "My heroes have always killed cowboys" full length and split with Black Castle.
I always called them screamo, but there is probably a different applicable description.

Have you heard them? Do you like them?

iTch

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really not much into this stuff anymore, but I've heard of or listened to a lot of the bands on here. Holy Molar is another one to be mentioned.

would you kids consider Bear Vs. Shark emo?
I like them a lot and try not to give them a genre, especially emo, but people call them that.

Rash L

Reaction score
I've always been horrible with putting music into genres... I dont even try anymore. But I like a lot of the bands listed in this thread, and yes christianarchy, I like daughters lol. havent heard 'em in awhile though.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I know most of the bands, but never got into them so much. I hit that scene in the late 90s, when Appleseed Cast were hitting the scene, the Promise Ring, etc. It's a little better than what's being called emo these days, at least.

More: Moss Icon, pageninetynine, Funeral Diner, Envy, A Trillion Barnacle Lapse, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, etc. I used to have hundreds of MP3 albums of this kinda of stuff that was still relatively know in the late 90s. Perhaps it's still thriving in some circles (Ex., the Viva La Vinyl douchebags), I just not in touch with that scene anymore. I plan to make a "favorites of old" emo/screamo album of my favorite songs one day.

xmaggotx

Reaction score
what the fuck screeching weasel? thats like some straight punk shit. daughters are ok. ive heard a lot of bad shit about their singer my girlfriend saw them and said he was really sexist took off his shirt and was just acting like a dick to the women there. envy's badass, i like lhasa and nitromegaprayer better for japanese screamo...appleseed cast are dope. i have a ton of this shit on vinyl. got to see portraits of pastn their reunion "tour" last year. or maybe the year before. it was rad though. yaphet kotto has to be mentioned. also check out 10 year old wala

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads