Resources For Trans Folks On The Road? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Resources For Trans Folks On The Road?

LoisLane23

Reaction score
Thank y'all for this thread. My 14-year-old son is trans and we live in a conservative state so I haven't even taken him to a doctor yet for hormones or anything. He was born a female and is well-endowed (wears a binder but it's still kinda obvious). We're in a state that borders Oregon though, so maybe we'll head that way. Thanks again.

Reactions: Spazz

Lotus Shaped Potato

Reaction score
Website
www.dhammaflow.org
Had anyone who gets HRT through Planned Parenthood been able to travel to different PP clinics in different states and still be “in the system” such that it’s a short checkup to get a new script?

I’ve never been to PP so I don’t know how it works. So if someone could also explain that I’d appreciate it.

scutellaria

Reaction score
Had anyone who gets HRT through Planned Parenthood been able to travel to different PP clinics in different states and still be “in the system” such that it’s a short checkup to get a new script?

I’ve never been to PP so I don’t know how it works. So if someone could also explain that I’d appreciate it.

theyre all managed by like different regional groups, kinda like franchises. ive always had to start over at different pp's, but its incredibly simple and quick. i get a script at the initial appointment. just tell them youre already on hrt and have been prescribed at another pp clinic.

however, maybe you already know this, but not every pp does hrt. so make sure ahead of time the clinic you wanna go to has an hrt/trans health program so you can plan accordingly.

scutellaria

Reaction score
@scutellaria
Hm. Follow up, related somewhat, do you know methods for getting hormones with little or exactly no money and no insurance? Are there any groups in the US that enable this?
hmmm i think maybe st james infirmary in sf buit im not sure that they actually can pay for your scripts. they primarily focus on sex workers but i think will help any trans people that come in. is there a reason you cant get on medicaid? what state are you in? have you tried fenway in boston? the only way i know how to get them without insurance is to buy online on the grey web. thats how i get my injectable p. but without insurance or money i dunno how many options there are. but with medicaid ive never paid more than a dollar for a vial of e.

Lotus Shaped Potato

Reaction score
Website
www.dhammaflow.org
is there a reason you cant get on medicaid? what state are you in? have you tried fenway in boston?
I'm currently on insurance so this isn't a right now issue as much as it could be an issue and as someone who's post op, staying on hormones is important for a broader range of functioning.

I know Fenway and I think they do provide free care if you can't afford it.

scutellaria

Reaction score
I'm currently on insurance so this isn't a right now issue as much as it could be an issue and as someone who's post op, staying on hormones is important for a broader range of functioning.

I know Fenway and I think they do provide free care if you can't afford it.
i feel you i had an orchie last year so i will fuckin cut a bitch for my estradiol (kidding)

hornedplant

Reaction score
when we were with PP, after we got our perscription
we didn't have to visit the clinic again
and were able to get blood tests done at the closer clinic that didn't offer HRT (yet)
lotta over the phone talking about test results / etc

roamingsnake

Reaction score
A few things:

1. If you're in Philly, there's a place called Mazzoni Center that does free care (including all appointments for medical) for young adults from 17-24, and a sliding scale that's pretty decent for anyone older. However, they tend to have very long waiting lists and you'll have to do a psych eval and medical I take (they're really nice though, it's not like a test or anything). I've been with them for 3+ years and they have a program that cuts costs for hormones if you're uninsured.

2. Has anyone had trouble on the road with carrying around needles? I'm FtM and take my T SubQ, and I know cops sometimes ask if you have dirty needles. Of course I'd keep the prescription with me, but wasn't sure if anyone had run into any issues.
-->Also, dirty needle disposal. Some bathrooms in certain cities seem to have units, but otherwise I'd be carrying them around. I already have a decent way to hold them, but if anyone has any tips for disposal locations that would be awesome.

Thanks! I'll be poking around on other threads too, but if this one isn't active I'll try to start a new one if it's not a problem.

Thanks for all the input!

Reactions: Honey Crust

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads