Resources For Trans Folks On The Road?

Honey Crust

Wayfarer
Current Location
Who knows?
Website
flowercrownmeaqueen.bandcamp.com
Hey all, I’m a traveling trans girl who’s been on hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for about a year and a half. My pharmacy is in Denver, and whenever I needed to refill my prescription during the summer I’d have to make my way back to Colorado once a month to get my hormones. I’d like to not have to do that lol

I was wondering if any other folks know of ways to get either free or heavily discounted hormones, and/or how to get them when you’re a thousand miles away from where you should be.

I’d also like this thread to be a general resource for any traveling transgender folks to find clinics, pro bono therapists, LGBTQ+ spaces that are explicitly trans-friendly, or any other ways to help each other out on the road. Thank y’all for your time!!

Reactions: 4 people

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
Could you not have a friend/family member get your prescription & mail it out to you. This is a common dilemma & practice among travelers. I routinely pick up scripts for family members (even narcotics), if its a controlled substance I gotta show ID but surprisingly the person prescribed the script doesnt have to be the one actually picking it up. I am unsure how stuff goes in Denver but assume there is always a way to sort this out without a return trip. Lots of people are on meds & often they take extended trips. Usually one needs to get their Doctor to initiate such processes. Often they get authorization from the insurance co who gives the pharmacy the ability to fill like a 3 month supply in advance. Many insurance companies & Pharmacists just need the doc to start the process so I would just tell your Doc your plans & get them on board. Instead of being at risk of running out I would just communicate how you live & travel with your Doctor & see if they will accommodate the request.

Now I am not trans but my teen is FTM. The shitty thing here for us to be able to get top surgery & HRT is that he needs to go to weekly therapy. Hes only 14 and not a traveler but the bureaucracy around transitioning requires monthly medical/psych visits & 4 weekly counseling sessions. Kind of unfair mandatory requirements that wouldnt exist while seeking other medical treatment. But we just play the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
OP
Honey Crust

Honey Crust

Wayfarer
Current Location
Who knows?
Website
flowercrownmeaqueen.bandcamp.com
Could you not have a friend get your prescription & mail it out to you. This is a common dilemma & practice among travelers. I routinely pick up scripts for family members (even narcotics), if its a controlled substance I gotta show ID but surprisingly the person prescribed the script doesnt have to be the one actually picking it up. I am unsure how stuff goes in Denver but assume there is always a way to sort this out without a return trip. Lots of people are on meds & often they take extended trips. Usually one needs to get their Doctor to initiate such processes. Often they get authorization from the insurance co who gives the pharmacy the ability to fill like a 3 month supply in advance. Many insurance companies & Pharmacists just need the doc to start the process so I would just tell your Doc your plans & get them on board. Instead of being at risk of running out I would just communicate how you live & travel with your Doctor & see if they will accommodate the request.
That’s something I never even considered holy shit thank you!

As for the bureaucratic bullshit I’m sorry y’all heave to deal with that. Lucky for me, Colorado is what’s called an “informed consent” state so I just went into planned parenthood, they asked if I knew the risks involved with taking HRT, I answered yes and a few more questions, and I got to pick up my first prescription that day.

Reactions: 2 people

BusGypsy

Wayfarer
StP Supporter
Current Location
Away
That’s something I never even considered holy shit thank you!

As for the bureaucratic bullshit I’m sorry y’all heave to deal with that. Lucky for me, Colorado is what’s called an “informed consent” state so I just went into planned parenthood, they asked if I knew the risks involved with taking HRT, I answered yes and a few more questions, and I got to pick up my first prescription that day.
Wow, just like that? I've used Planned Parenthood but didn't know they provide HRT. Neat. I love PP. I used to go to them for the pill and spare rubbers!

Reactions: 2 people