Quick question on packing | Squat the Planet

Quick question on packing

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
33.56 L, give or take a tenth of a litre.

forgive the sarcasm,
Are you asking about the pack? (Like a 30L, 40L, 60L pack) Or how many litres of water, booze, etc? I guess the answer will be in either case it depends on what you want to do. Maybe with more specific info you'd get an answer that could help ya.

bote

Reaction score
drink as much water as you can remember to, it makes you more flexible (higher physical performance and lower likelyhood of injury), you can think straighter, and you will take an easy dump every morning like clockwork.

Bruce Lee's favourite drink beeatch! WATA!

Coughing Prophet

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to gear. Some girl is somewhat of a gear queer and is hooking it up with some really nice gear that I have to learn about. I usually just throw a pack on and go at it, not used to these technical things.

This is what she asked me.

"And we need to know how many liters of stuff you're going to carry at a time...you might need to check out REI so you can get an idea, unless you already know..."

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Oh, okay...
Take all your shit, go to REI or someplace that sells packs, put all your shit in the smallest pack it will fit in, see how big it is, and that's what she's talking about.

There really is no reliable average ... some people travel with ~20L school backpacks, some travel with large ALICE packs (which are ~75L, my personal estimation) with a bunch of shit strapped to the outside. It depends on what you carry.

Joni

Reaction score
"half your bodyweight in ounces per day." i would carry that and drink that everyday as thats what your body needs to function according to a few emergency room doctors i half talked to for dehydration. ooooppsss!! ;D

-joni

Joni

Reaction score
Does anyone know on average how many liters someone in this lifestyle would carry on their pack?

>.< liters as in mass... not liquid volume... ^-^

find a pack that fits your body not a pack that you fit into like a contortionist. we are organic structures where no two are alike. no there is no right answer. just get a pack that fits properly and what weight class you want to be in. a human should not really carry no more than a 1/3 of their body weight for extended periods. in my old days of traveling i used to carry a large alice pack with a small library, several pairs of jeans and full xl bottleS of toiletries. i was stocked for at least six months. one day in sanfran i put it on the scale at the post office and it weighed 100 lbs ish. it was a hella big pack that stood almost to my waist. i carried way to much just in case. so i mailed a stack of books home and cut my pack weight down to 50 lbs which, for me, is about my max pack weight. carry what you need to survive get everything else on the road as needed. figure out what you need to survive and and buy a pack size in that weight class and roll with that. probably not a good idea to carry alot of fancy stuff either. (esp. a fancy pack! makes it hard to spange, etc.) so keep the pack simple and light yet comfortable because that is the turtle lifestyle. :D

hope this helps someone.....
--Joni

• Useful
Reactions: ByronMc

urbanflow

Reaction score
well... right now i copped a walmart molle digi camo pack and only have about 32 pounds of shit including a 5 pound bag of dog food.

i STILL can fit a screw top gallon jug inside it with my sleeping bag strapped to the bottom. its honestly the best pack ive ever had. im still not entirely sold on my sleeping bag strapped to the bottom because its kind of cumbersome when climbing down the ladder of an IM. other than that, this pack is tits and id say its got no more than 35L.

it all comes down to what you want to carry. im carrying a dry bag with clothes stuffed at the very bottom, then another dry bag that more or less lines my pack on top with my dog food and my walls jacket rolled up and stuffed in. my sleeping bag is inside a bivy sack with my tarp wrapped around and rolled up strapped to the bottom with sinch straps.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads