quail: no idea what i'm doing.

M

monster

does anyone know a decent way to catch quail without having to build a trap?

i was stuck in ogden, ut for 4 days waiting for a train, running out of food and going crazy a few weeks ago when a delightful family of quail came moseying by. i had carved an atlatl a few hours earlier out of boredom but at close range and with such huge darts, shitty aim and thick brush, it was a completely impractical weapon. and it was just for practice.

anyway, i eyed those quail off and on for hours. i waited in the brush for them to come nearby for over an hour, but they just squinted at me like i was the ghetto of the park.

suggestions?

S

sykgutt

make a rabbit stick and PRACTICE

Throwing Stick

The throwing stick, commonly known as the rabbit stick, is very effective against small game (squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits). The rabbit stick itself is a blunt stick, naturally curved at about a 45-degree angle. Select a stick with the desired angle from heavy hardwood such as oak. Shave off two opposite sides so that the stick is flat like a boomerang (Figure 12-5). You must practice the throwing technique for accuracy and speed. First, align the target by extending the non-throwing arm in line with the mid to lower section of the target. Slowly and repeatedly raise the throwing arm up and back until the throwing stick crosses the back at about a 45-degree angle or is in line with the non-throwing hip. Bring the throwing arm forward until it is just slightly above and parallel to the non-throwing arm. This will be the throwing stick's release point. Practice slowly and repeatedly to attain accuracy.

fig12-5.gif

i know it says for small game, but i remember reading about a guy who made one out of a metal bar and killed pigeons with it

Dameon

Reaction score
You could also learn to set traps. I'm not sure how a trap would work on quail (or much about trap making in general), and it's a slow process of getting food, but it works and doesn't take too much energy on your part.

Also, instead of a rabbit stick, what's wrong with a good ol' fashioned sling? Not as hard to make, and fairly accurate once you're practiced with it.

kai

Reaction score
for quail, squirrels, pigeons and other small animals use a wrist rocket.

have a knife handy that's sharp so you can cut the throat cause sometimes the slingshot will only incapacitate the animal so that it can't escape and preferably I feel getting the kill over with as quickly and humanely as possible is important.

R

RandomRaccoon

If yer gonna cut throat, have a container ready... blood is to valuble to waste and if you slit the neck its all comin out...

skunkpit

Reaction score
eat the blood..
or dehydrate and store air tight, good travel food

(if you have some bait) finding a nice size rock with a flat bottom, digging a hole so the rock perfectly covers the top of the hole and a stick holding the rock up at one end and tied, and just wait for somethin to go inside to get the bait and pull the string

mmm mm

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
The blood is more for iron and salt than anything else- you can use it in soup or you can cook it in bread if drinking it makes you squeamish.

M

monster

if it's anywhere near as tasty as my own blood, i imagine i'll be making cocktails with it.

...you know, because i totally bleed myself regularly just to make hematinis.

R

RandomRaccoon

sykgutt said:
i don't think i will ever find myself eating blood (though i have on accident, biting into a burger i made in the dark)

Trust me, in a survival situation, you NEED to eat the blood!!! you need everything you can get! Liver lungs kidneys heart BLOOD and brains, its all good food and more nutritions that even the meat is!

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
i'm looking at actually buying a fiberglass crossbow right now to carry around w/ me. ebay?

I love my pistol crossbow, but I wouldn't take it on the road. Cops HATE crossbows. even the cheesy pistol crossbows have more usable puncture force at close range than most small arms fire. most crossbows will penetrate bulletproof vests much more often than pistol fire willat close range.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads