Video - Pros & Cons of Hammock Camping | Squat the Planet

Video Pros & Cons of Hammock Camping

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I only just recently owned a tent, and only as a backup or if I know i'm going somewhere where I know a tarp/hammock wont work (northern Scotland, Central Asia, etc).

Just recently put some big money down for a warbonnet blackbird as when i'm working i'm camping out. Never had a bad sleep in a hammock though, be it a pricer thing like the blackbird or some $20 ebay thing. Generally the tarp/hammock system is a lot more versatile as long as you have objects to tie off to and wind isn't an issue.

Also, for that problem of the rain dripping down the lines, add drip-lines but tying rope around your suspension just under the shelter. Water runs to the lowest point so it will run down that extra bit and not down to your hammock.

Drengor

Reaction score
I bring a hammock and a tent!

Sounds like a lot, but hear me out: the tent straps to the outside, so it's not like I lose bag space. It's also only 1.5lbs, so not much of a drag there either. My hammock set up is light, as they are, and if I'm in the tent I can use the hammock as a pillow!

I just pick whichever one I want to sleep in when it's time to sleep and it's nothing but sweet dreams for me! I probably get a 60/40 split towards the tent, but can't see myself giving up either. Too many situations are perfectly suited for one or the other.

Reactions: Testicool

Drengor

Reaction score
What tent is that? Only ones i've seen that light are very expensive ones :p

Yeah it wasn't cheap! I think I paid $300 for it a few years ago. It's the Tarptent Contrail. Don't think they make the model anymore, but their lineup is a bunch of single-wall, lightweight, quick setup, inconspicuous (green) tents.

If you've got cash to spare quality gear makes camping really painless.

Drengor

Reaction score
Yeah condensation is a bitch. If I have the forethought I'll put myself on the eastern side of a hill to catch the early morning sun. Kicks me out of bed earlier, and 20 minutes in direct sunlight and that condensation goes away!

Worst case scenario I go at it with my towel and just let that dry throughout the morning.

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score
The route throughout Europe looks spectacular, starting in Portugal ending in Barcelona?

on topic, I'm almost 6'6 and well, I never tried a hammock setup, just because I don't think it's comfortable for my long back.. Till now I've been a ground dweller, though I only just invested in a lightweight tent which just arrived yesterday.

N0MAD

Reaction score
A hammock is something I've always wanted to try. I'm saving up for one for when I was to have a lounge about. I think for sleeping a shelter I'd still use a small light tent/hopped bivi and a fly.

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
HG, you've pretty much covered all the highlights of the good hang in the video.

I know there is always a lot of debate between ground dwellers and the hanging crowd, which is good. I personally use both tents and hammocks.

That said, I much rather be in a hammock and have been using a Hennessy for the last 5 or 6 years. The hammock has been modified so that the bug net can be completely unzipped, the ridge line has a toggle in it so I can drop it and have a lounging hammock, and I had the bottom entry sewn shut. This makes it a very versatile hammock. I also have the bottom cover so I can put an extra sleeping bag in it for winter camping.

Tarps are a huge pain in the ass to get right, I have tried two different tarps, the small Hennessy stock tarp and the ENO tarp (I think it's call the super fly). This next trip, I am going to try the 12x12 Noah shelter. The Noah shelter color is definitely not stealthy being grey and orange, but it seems like it may be big enough to cover the hammock and my gear as well as giving me some work area underneath. That is the issue I have had, not enough room under the tarp to do anything, but be in the hammock. I also like the fact that I can use a tarp as a tent if I can't hang.

In the rain, I have had one experience where I didn't setup right and got flooded out. The trees weren't far enough apart so there was not adequate tarp coverage at the ends of the hammock and water just streamed into the hammock. That totally sucked and I had to figure out another sleeping arrangement for the night. Good thing was that I hadn't put my bag in the hammock yet, so at least it was dry.

About the only time I am in a tent is when car camping with a group or can't hang for some reason. For this I almost always have a cot or thicker pad because, I'm sorry, but sleeping on the ground for me is just painful. Sometimes there is no other choice.

D

Deleted member 15262

What kind of tarp do you use?? I have a Noah's Tarp witch is big but is not really stealthy..
It's actually a ground tarp (for tents) that I got years ago, not sure the brand. For the longest time I thought it was an 8x10 but recently measured it and it's only 5x7 lol! I'm trying to save up for this nice $35 camo 10x10 tarp.

Whereamiwhatdoido When you mentioned Europe I was scratching my head trying to figure out how you knew my route for next year, but figure you're talking to OutsideYourWorld ha!

Will Wood

Reaction score
My Noah's tarp is a green, which is ok, but the tie-down cordage that came with it, is a glow-in-the-dark green, that I will be replacing with black corkage. I have a Free Soldier hammock that is to small for me. If you know any ladies who would like it, I could mail it out. But it does NOT have any tree straps or anything else. Just a hammock. Well made though..

D

Deleted member 15262

At least with the glow-in-dark you'll never not find your camp ;) Having a black, or mint/dark green tarp is pretty stealthy. I like Black cuz I find it harder to see the mold spores developing on my house after spending too much time in the PNW...

(off topic...)
The conservation corp wasn't bad, I got to use the chainsaw a lot, fell a lot of trees in Bryce Canyon NP, picked (mostly ate) tons of cherries in Capital Reef NP, but did some nasty ditch digging work for rockbars in Zion. It gets super hot there in the summer, I had a hard time with that. Good job but the pay is murder. $8.75/hour.

I miss that tarp that was in that video....I have it stashed in UT it's been 2 years not sure if that stuff is still there

watson

Reaction score
Should add a Tarp option, if im not sleeping on top of my tarp im setting it up as a floorless tent (Sometimes ill do a small enough floor for just my body

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
good video, my only suggestion would be to show a little more of what you're talking about rather than just telling us to the camera. b-roll of things you're currently talking about over your narration would make it a little more interesting. can't wait to see the next vid!

D

Deleted member 15262

Matt Derrick I was actually aiming for that, but was having trouble extracting the audio/overlaying my pictures on my video. I'm currently using GoPro Studio which is nice for simple things, but has absolutely no layering capabilities. Looking into a good free software for such things.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Matt Derrick I was actually aiming for that, but was having trouble extracting the audio/overlaying my pictures on my video. I'm currently using GoPro Studio which is nice for simple things, but has absolutely no layering capabilities. Looking into a good free software for such things.

try hitfilm express, it's free and pretty high quality.

https://hitfilm.com/express

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score
Whereamiwhatdoido When you mentioned Europe I was scratching my head trying to figure out how you knew my route for next year, but figure you're talking to OutsideYourWorld ha!
Guessing that route drawn on the map would be his then? haha
Still looks like quite an extensive route!! Love it

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads