Portland OR

H

Hoghead Bob

Hey

I have been picking up kids when I leave Eugene lately. I have been dropping them off around Pioneer square or near Albina/Brooklyn. Is that cool or is there a better place?

H

Hoghead Bob

The last kids I picked up I dropped at Union Station. I said Albinas is that way Lake Yard is that way and Brooklyn is that way. You can get food over there, and MAX is more or less free. Be safe Adios.

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Dont even waste your time trying from ine the city. I usually take the Tualtin bus and start walkin the 5 from there. If your headin south that it. Really theres a city bus outta PDX to Wilsonville and from there you can get a $1 bus down to Salem. Going north its all about the Vancouver to Salmon Creek to the CAP

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Doobie_D wrote:
Dont even waste your time trying from ine the city. I usually take the Tualtin bus and start walkin the 5 from there. If your headin south that it. Really theres a city bus outta PDX to Wilsonville and from there you can get a $1 bus down to Salem. Going north its all about the Vancouver to Salmon Creek to the CAP

what's the CAP?

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
I swear the CAP exists only for the benifit of travelin no-good-niks. Every time i ride it thats the only type of people on it. If you catch the CAP at the right time of day (7am in Salmon Creek) you can get all the way to Tumwater (1 mile outside of Olympia) for a buck cause they give you a free transfer in Longveiw and you connect from there.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
damn, that's awesome, ive always heard rumors about that, but could never find out how to get that bus. so... now that i know this, i can pretty much city bus it all the way up to seattle! sweet...

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
If you go to 1235 Mission street by 9am on weekdays you might be able to get a homeward bound ticket. They try to reserve it for people who are homeless living in San Francisco so you might need to extend the truth a bit but I have friends who this has worked for.

Also about the CAP buses they aren't giving free transfers at Longview anymore, it's a buck for each leg of it now. For a whopping total of 2 bucks for like 150 miles. And I've seen kids, moms, old peoples, all sorts on the CAP but yes also scummy kids too.

ben-david

Reaction score
i've never heard of the CAP, thats awesome, is there a website for this or something with more info cause im going up to seattle next month and that would help alot. the bus from wilsonville to salem has gone up a few times, its now $2.50, just so you know

if you are going west like to the coast i suggest taking the MAX to beaverton and then walking to your highway.

homeward bound is a good way to get out of san francisco, they even give you money for food i think. you can only do it once though and you need to have a contact in your destination.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Hitch S from PDX in the city!

Poking Victim said:
Does anyone know of a good spot to hitch out of Portland?

The only two times I hitched south from Portland, I did it in the city and I got picked up w/in 10 min.
You can access this spot from the Portland Streetcar eastbound, it's the SW Harrison St. stop.

When you get off, walk down the road the way the streetcar goes (SE), and about two blocks away is a road that feeds to I-5. There's enough shoulder to wait in and show your destination sign, and it's big enough for rides pull over - and the traffic lights before & after your position here will keep them from going to fast.

The streetcar stop you want here.
The waiting/pickup spot here.

I caught a ride one Sunday @ 5pm, and most recently again at 6pm on a Thursday.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
Hitch S from PDX in the city!

The only two times I hitched south from Portland, I did it in the city and I got picked up w/in 10 min.
You can access this spot from the Portland Streetcar eastbound, it's the SW Harrison St. stop.

When you get off, walk down the road the way the streetcar goes (SE), and about two blocks away is a road that feeds to I-5. There's enough shoulder to wait in and show your destination sign, and it's big enough for rides pull over - and the traffic lights before & after your position here will keep them from going to fast.

The streetcar stop you want here.
The waiting/pickup spot here.

I caught a ride one Sunday @ 5pm, and most recently again at 6pm on a Thursday.

yeah, that's a good spot for me. even with a bike, i got a ride out of there in minutes once. at, like, 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
as far as not getting fucked with by cops, in oregon i've heard almost no one say anything about it, i've never been fucked with, just...it seems like oregon in general is pretty chill about hitch hiking.

i fucking hate cave junction, though.

Staralar

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
In regaurds to the whole "CAP" conversation... the busses are a god send if you're lazy & want to get places more efficently without having to wait for a ride out- although what sucks if you don't catch them accordingly. My first time in Portland I ended up taking the busses back to Washington & got suck in Vancouver, Salmon Creek area I believe? [At least something along those lines].

But hey, good news is there's a gas station across the way from the bus stop & some bushes behind it that make an awsome wind-block. I also woke up to a HUGE egg mcmuffin, pastrie, & doughnut breakfast from the man who lives on the other side of the fence. Turns out a lot of kids end up staying there on their way through & he enjoys helping 'em out.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
yeah it doesn't connect from portland to seattle, you have to take the city buses out to the outskirts of each metro area and go from there. but there's buses from each end of the CAP route that go into the metro area of each city.. yep it's the salmon creek park and ride in north vancouver. you can call for CAP times if you want to make sure to make the bus next time.. it does only leave twice a day.

sounds like a nice guy though, maybe I'll miss the last bus on purpose for a free hot meal in the morning next time!

Staralar

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yeah, it's like playing tag with the bus system. Salmon Creek was kind of nice though, there was a Safeway & a Subway across the street in the other direction... snipe heaven. <3

& yeah, that was the highlight of my stay in Vancouver. Although I believe his wife is dying of lung cancer or something along those lines? :/ Makes me feel kinda bad that we ate his food.

rebequah

Reaction score
Yeah- ridin the cap from salmon creek north, just make sure to make the cap cause the cops arent really cool with travelers. But the people in the area kick down.

G

gadabout

Hey, yeah, the CAP works out rather well... just make sure that you are on time. Get a CURRENT schedule. If you miss a bus it is a long time in a small town for the next one. Me and Foothill missed our early bus in Kalama and tried hitching north to get ahead and wait for the next. Took several hours to make up the short distance by missing the bus. Caught a ride and then a short walk into the town of Castle Rock, WA. Stole a nap on benches by the river near the grocery store where the bus stop is. The local PD was interested in our presence, but didn't hassle us. In fact when we woke and rolled up, we walked past their cruiser and exchanges hellos. There is a cheap bar in town that serves food as well just east down the street from the CAP stop.
CL's rideshare has worked out well for me in the past. Both as a rider and as a driver looking to get a little help w/ fuel costs. People have been descent.
Safe travels.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads