Political Correct-ness

plagueship

Reaction score
i think it really all comes down to context.

all those people who like to flip out about everything everyone else says are usually a bunch of jerkoffs who want to feel morally and politically superior to everyone around them. especially when they don't actually do anything else socially meaningful with their lives. i have no interest in associating with such people and there seems to be a bunch of them in practically every punk scene.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Speaking of political correctness, does anyone else like Lisa Lampanelli? She takes it a bit far sometimes, but OMG when she said subpoena I was in stitches! :D

venusinpisces

Reaction score
i think it really all comes down to context.
I agree with this. I don't think there should ever be "forbidden" words because rules just give those words more power. The Lisa Lampanelli video I posted is funny because you can tell she's not actually hateful. If she was, it would just be depressing and tedious. On the other hand, I also knew a squatter guy who was always making jokes about beating up women and complaining about political correctness. I let it go at the time because his jokes actually were kind of funny. Later he told me that he had given his girlfriend a concussion after throwing her off a truck bed. I was also present when he stabbed a black guy for not giving him a cigarette while calling him nigger the whole time. So I think it really depends on the situation and the perspective of the person talking. Jokes are one thing, but actual bigotry is something very different. I don't care what words somebody uses or what they joke about as long as they're actually just joking.

Reactions: beersalt

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I can concede that words need to be taken in context.

Why I can't I say the same about actions? I mean, if I rape a girl, but I'm just making a light joke and don't actually hate her, is that fine?

The effects of our actions are just as important as the intention of them.
I'd argue that although legalistic PCism itself does not solve the problem, how the things we say are perceived and experienced are just as important as (if not more than) our intentions behind saying them.

You don't have to be PC to be a decent human being and have respect for people.
But you DO have to be considerate, and you do have to forgo the freedom "do whatever you want" sometimes, in order to not hurt people (That's the part that we don't like!). Don't be self-interested, don't be an ass.

Reactions: QueerCoyote

Heron

not very crusty
Reaction score
Website
tracklabs.net
i'd call someone a fag or a pussy (not just for no reason ofc) but i'd also defend a gay or a gal if they were getting hated on, let alone hurt. fuck political correctness but i practice, um, personal correctness you could say.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
In my experience, most people who throw around un pc words aren't out there raping women or rounding up lynch mobs. But then there are those few people who use humor as a way to cover up genuinely hateful personalities.
It's important to differentiate between people who take political correctness to unnecessary extremes, because there are a lot of them out there policing language and being annoying, and people who just don't appreciate bigotry. For example, a lot of social conservatives talk about political correctness as a way to justify teaching their children that all gay people have something fundamentally wrong with them. I don't want anything to do with people like this and, if this makes me politically correct, oh well. I'm secure enough in my own beliefs that being unfashionable is not too disconcerting. Again, it's very context dependent since words and phrases are only as meaningful as the way they're used. I doubt the majority of people who complain about political correctness here are bigoted, though. I have some pretty violent artwork that many would interpret as misogynist, but I know where I'm coming from is very different than their interpretation--so PC people get on my nerves sometimes too.

Nelco

Reaction score
I just don't give a fuck about systematically, teaching myself, how to speak like a pompus asshole.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
I just don't give a fuck about systematically, teaching myself, how to speak like a pompus asshole.

I'm not sure if that comment was directed at me or not, but nothing in my comment was about looking down on anyone--except for maybe rich republicans, which doesn't exactly describe too many people on this board.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
And I suppose it's not a great idea to look down on anyone but right wingers are my weakness at the moment. I'll spare everyone the details.

Nelco

Reaction score
naw dude
we're good
i'm just mouthy on politics and restrictions..
i think your alright

venusinpisces

Reaction score
No problem. PC people suck--oops, that language could be degrading to the receptive partner. :rolleyes: Actually, I really don't like cursing in public because you never know when you could be around someone with delicate sensibilities. That's more of a Southern thing though since I was raised that way, and by Reaganites, at that. I don't really hate right wingers, just the rich ones in Congress. Not too fond of the Democrats either. It's worth remembering that this is where the real political correctness comes from, from politicians who are sending billions to Israel to help construct a virtual concentration camp around Palestine while Americans are living in poverty. Vegan antiracist feminists may be a bit annoying but they have nothing on people like this.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
The effects of our actions are just as important as the intention of them..
Another good point. I always try to be aware of my audience before spouting off. It might seem uncool but I really don't like to hurt people's feelings if it can be avoided. And it's a stereotype but there really are good people in every group. My mom used to have all her feminist studies department friends over for pot lucks and I have to admit they made some great vegan food. :D Can't say I feel more comfortable around them than the bible thumper side of the family, though.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
the political in political correctness is not the same politics as left vs. right, or dealing with government or economic issues. political also means dealing with relationships. you deal in politics when you talk to your friends.

given no one likes pussy footing, but terms like nigger, bitch, faggot, gay, savage, retard what not and so fourth have histories and those histories are damaging to people..
I kind of wish I hadn't posted in this thread to begin with because I can actually sympathize with this perspective as well since all these words really can be used to hurt people, depending on how they're used. But in the real world, people are not so nice and kind so you have to find a way to deal with those who haven't been raised that way, and setting up rules usually just makes things worse. I am officially stepping out of this thread now.

NyxNomasters

Reaction score
Fuck pc. I do what I want. I say what I want.

My opinion is, if someone is offended, that is their problem to deal with.

Heron

not very crusty
Reaction score
Website
tracklabs.net

oh yeah that's the other thing about offense and shit. it's not really anyone's responsibility to not offend someone. most of what people get offended over is total bullshit. people are so self-important.

plagueship

Reaction score
here's a theory: racist/sexist/etc language is a symptom of racism/sexism/etc far more than it is a cause.

i don't consider myself pc at all, but i also don't use a lot of language that many people would consider "un-pc". i do let slip the occasional "that's gay" or "what a bitch" around people i'm certain won't take it the wrong way (although i have wondered for a while what is so much more sexist about 'bitch' than words like 'dick' or 'asshole' which are generally only applied to men?). i used to say 'retarded' for 'stupid' a lot but nowadays one of my closest friends has a little brother who is actually, literally, in a medical sense retarded... so that kind of put that in perspective for me... if someone in my family had a birth defect i really wouldn't appreciate people being shitty about it...

anyway i guess what i'm saying is i'm really not down with people being prejudiced but i think there is a way that prejudicial language can be used in a sort of ironic way or just express a warped sense of humor and lack of uptightness...

thisisme

Reaction score
As for the whole "empowering the word" issue, I've got a buddy living down in NOLA who would use aforementioned words in regular speech due to the fact that he didn't want to get them power by avoiding their use and considering them taboo. He said that working in a restaurant down in New Orleans, he worked with mostly black people, that they'd use the words 'nigger' and 'nigga' all the time. He said that once, a white supervisor reprimanded a black employee for using these words. The worker got upset and told the woman she had absolutely no right to tell him whether or not he could use the words. And my buddy's black friends had no problem with speaking this way. Thought this was interesting.

In my opinion, white people are basically the only race that is concerned with being racist. Try watching foreign comendy regarding white/american people. Most white/american people would watch this comedy and laugh, thinking "fuck, that's so true!" but if they saw the same comedy format reversed, they would be morbidly offended.

I do not understand this.
Make up your mind people.
Just a thought.
Regarding the racism aspect i have a good number of friends who are the same way. They use the N word on a regular to describe anyone who is ignorant or stupid regularily refer to eachother that way. All of it jokingly of course. they have no shame or qualms about it and figure why give so much power to a word. They dont consider themselves racist. After listening to their points i can see where theyre coming from. Doesnt going out of your way to make sure youre being pc with certain groups of people and being so concerned with how you may accidentally offend them just put up more barriers? if people would just chill out a little things would be alot less tense. and as mentioned in my personal experience as well ive seen way more white people be offended and concerned about it than anyone else. most black people think its funny that ive come across.
i personally dont feel its my place to "take back the word" so i dont use it. but i think what it really comes down to in the end is intention. If ur saying something to intentionally discriminate or belittle someone or a certain group of people thats one thing but otherwise i think people just need to loosen their panties a little and not get so bent out of shape about words. i dunno thats just my opinion. why am i not asleep yet? i dont know

shiftingGEARS

Reaction score
Fuck pc. I do what I want. I say what I want.

true that, people need to remove the sticks from their ass, also clean that sand from their vagina's and or nutsack

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads