Picking a short term spot. (1-3 Days)

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
okay, i realized now that the above post isn't exactly "wilderness squatting", but suck my dick. it's a good spot.

st1tch

Reaction score
Do you guys usually bring a light tent? Or is it usually more hassle then it's worth?

wartomods

Reaction score
if you are going to spend a lot time in a city, nah.
But a single wall tent or a tarp is something to have on the road or country, i prefer the tent for total insect isolation.A bit more weight though.

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
From a backpacker's point of view, a parachute hammock, (weighs less than 1lb) some come with bug nets and a small tarp and rope will keep you bone dry, even wind proof. All that together should bring you out to less than 2lbs. Add a mummy bag and you've got outdoor sleeping with comfort. But like I said, that's for country and shit, that probably wouldn't fly so well in a city atmosphere and such..

Reactions: Psi em
P

Pheonix

if you like garlic pack plenty of garlic powder (make sure it's only garlic and not salt with a little garlic in it) and flavor every meal with as much as you can stand. with garlic in the bloodstream no biting insects will mess with you.

• Useful

EastCoast315

Reaction score
Excellent thread, I'll use all of this info.

For fires, make a dakota fire hole. Google it, its a pretty good way of keeping smoke to a minimum.
Always set your hammock at least 4 feet off the ground
In setting a pack, make sure its as light as possible. If you are ever bored at home and have your gear with you, set up camp fully in the backyard and practice speed packing it into your bag as fast as humanly possible. If you get good at this it will probably come in handy.

• Useful

DCLXVI

Reaction score
It was mentioned already, but look into a camping hammock. The only issue with them is that it's slightly more difficult to camp invisibly, but you get so many new options in return. They're comfortable, easy to setup, and you can find endless places to sleep, as long as you're not stuck in a wasteland, in which case you can just sleep on the rainfly/tarp with your sleeping bag.

• Useful

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
this thread makes me lol
I'm doin the tarp thang wish i had one of those hammocs though
i seen a kid post up between a no parking sign and a fire hydrant right in front of gargoyle store on telegraph in bezerkley one night made it till the morning when the shop keeper told him to beat it

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Funny story about churches, my friend once crashed behind a church in seattle and woke up to the preacher kicking him in the head yelling at him to get moving. Guess he'd had it with the dirty kids.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yea never in the city limits of any major city is is a good idea to church squat
9 of 10 times the first person that finds you is a grounds keeper that is barely payed and he sees sleeping folk like us 1 to 50 times a month = he just calls the cops +/- vagrancy ticket or jail

similarly i fucked up
though i have my tarp and expected rain (sleept in/on/under my tarp) I is wet and coldits obvious that i am not ready fofr hte AT i need a mess kit and perhapse a small tent. i fucking hate mosquitos!!! not one bit me this morning as i lay with just a breathing hole from under my tarp and yet most i killed were full of blood . . . half a mile from civ what teh hells blood were thease invertebrate vampiric assholes filled with - makes me wanna spew

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads