Picking a short term spot. (1-3 Days) | Squat the Planet

Picking a short term spot. (1-3 Days)

A

Arapala

As some of you may know, i am a total travel noob. At least i have no REAL LIFE travel experience. I am going to start going on little trips by myself just with my bike. I am going to need to find wooded areas to sleep at for a night or two possibly. Any tips? as far as staying away from ground dew, slugs, and shit like that? Any tips at in really.

Thanks.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Portable travel hammocks work great for staying out of the slugs and ground dew or just a plain old sleeping pad usually works just fine both of which you can find discussions of in some of the old gear threads.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Since you have no REAL LIFE experience, let me tell you that wooded areas have trees. Some of the trees may be dead or have dead branches in them. Avoid them.

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
4013-a.jpg

4014-a.jpg

4016-a.gif

Play.It.Fast

Reaction score
Tarps do tend to collect dew, and get moist.
Like 'Finn' said watch out for snags, and widowmakers.
Slugs, Spiders, Mosquitos, All insects for that matter are pretty much unavoidable.
Unless you burrito yourself up, or have a lightweight tent.

wartomods

Reaction score
Stewart when you are travelling i advise you to not sleep more than on night at the same spot.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
one big word of advice.... make sure no one can see you especially while your sleeping

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Tip #1: Just because it looks secluded and inconspicuous in the dark does NOT necessarily mean the same in the daytime. Lots of rude awakenings in a spot that looked a lot cushier, warmer, and darker when I was drunk.

Tip #2: Take traffic into account. If it's a Tuesday, that construction yard you've been thinking about camping in is gonna be a lot busier the next morning than a Sunday morning...

Tip #3: Bug spray does nothing for ants.

M

Monkeywrench

Who worries about slugs? You know how many punk points you get for picking those fuckers off in front of people? :D

Kidding.

-Brown tarps and some para-cord (sp?) are a good idea, slightly more cammo than the bright ass blue.

-You should try and get a couple hundred yards (at LEAST) into the woods as to avoid police, drivers, hikers and random assholes who might spot you. If you're gonna have a fire or a hobo stove, even further! You might think you're Rambo by night--but spot houses and joggers by morning. Not good.

-Try and check to see if it's a National Park. If it is, stay ninja because I know plenty of kids who've landed themselves tickets and charges for trespassing on federal property or some ridiculous shit. LEAVE NOTHING.

-Remember, if you land in trouble, or get woken up by a ranger, police, whatever... you're a hiker. Also, a stupid hiker. The more clueless you seem to be of hiking culture, the harder you'll stroke the person's ego and have them forget all about your trespassing. This has gotten me out of countless situations.

Best of luck.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Some things that haven't been mentioned:

1) Always shake your shoes, socks, jacket, etc out before you put them back on in the morning. or shake your blankets/bag before you climb in them to sleep. (spiders,centipedes,snakes, depending on where you are.

2) Try to find a spot before dark. Or carry a flashlight (which you should anyways). It sucks finding out you slept on a pile of shit, used condoms/toilet paper, or dead animal remains.

3) Avoid tall grasses or trees which are known to harbor lots of ticks. (but like any bugs - they are unavoidable for the most part)

4) Unless you're out in the country and don't have to worry about it - Tie your shit up in a way that you can hear someone tryin to sneak off with it or in a way that discourages them from stealin from you.

5) This is common sense but - Avoid sleeping in or near someone else's camp or if it looks like its still being used. Or somewhere that looks heavily trafficked.

6) Depending on where you are, don't sleep with food next to you or in your pack (brave/hungry racoons, bears, ants, etc). Tie it up in a tree and don't have any opened packages or leftovers on you especially.

7) Don't sleep in ditches or in depressions of the land that may flood or collect water if it rains overnight. Or somewhere where it will be soggy ground if it rains.

8) Always be prepared for rain.

9) I like to sleep with either a knife ready right by me, or some kind of weapon to use if anyone fucks with me in the night. It just gives me better sense of security and helps me sleep better but that's just me.

10) Like someone else mentioned be mindful of snags and deadfall from the trees. Especially if it's going to storm or it is windy, avoid sleeping right under trees or under the trajectory of falling rocks/debris.

11) For christ sake man, pack out your trash. Don't leave yer litter. And please please please bury your shit in a hole somewhere out of the way. I hate it when people don't do that, it stinks the place up and attracts flies.

that's all i can think up at the moment. have fun.

"Lets Walk With The Earth, Instead of On Her" ~

• Useful
Reactions: Psi em

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, great spot that's helped me out in a pinch many times:

CHURCHES!

Churches and synagogues usually sit on a decent amount of land outside major metropolitan cities (playground, back or side yard, etc), and until they get in large groups, church-going Christians are generally kind and generous people. If you roll out your sleeping bag or some cardboard in an out-of-the-way spot on church property, you'll usually be pretty welcomed. Sometimes they've even found me the next morning and brought me inside for coffee and a small meal. Once, I was camping behind a church in Delaware when we were woken up by a (very polite!) police officer. He informed us that, although the church expressed its hospitality, the custodian was trying to mow the yard and didn't want to be rude and wake us up! Now, I can't speak for every church or place of worship, but they're kinda there to help the down-on-their-luck, and often eager to do so. Be sure to thank them if that's the case! Good karma goes a long way with those types of folk.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads