People who beat their dogs

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
Pull your piece and tell them they hit that dog again they're going to answer for it. No one is going to give you lip and they're going to think twice about it even when you're not there. But you need to distiguish a habitual animal abuser from a normal person who is frustrated with the dog in one particular instance and doesn't know any better. Because there is an important difference. One is ignorant and can be taught and feels remorse, the other is a sociopath that lacks a conscience altogether.

Reactions: Eager and billyriot

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Pull your piece and tell them they hit that dog again they're going to answer for it. No one is going to give you lip and they're going to think twice about it even when you're not there. But you need to distiguish a habitual animal abuser from a normal person who is frustrated with the dog in one particular instance and doesn't know any better. Because there is an important difference. One is ignorant and can be taught and feels remorse, the other is a sociopath that lacks a conscience altogether.

Word.

Shakou

Reaction score
Admittedly, I do on occasion smack one of my dogs. He's a very bullheaded kind of dog who will often blatently disregard commands during times when I REALLY need him to focus and listen to me. However, by 'smack' I mean it's more like a hard tap done to get his attention so he'll listen to me. It's never hard enough to seriously hurt him. However, to strangers it probably looks mean.

If I see someone doing the same thing I do, I understand their frustration and just let it go. However, if it's someone beating a dog to the point that the dog is very clearly in major distress and pain, that's when it crosses the line for me, and I can't ignore that. Anyone with that kind of personality probably wouldn't be someone I'd like to begin with, so I'd just call the cops.

Mei

Reaction score
Yeah, if I've got a misbehaving dog I'll tap him firmly on the nose if the dog is really being an asshole or I'll bite his ear
I've had yuppie types threaten to call the cops on me for that

ipoPua

Reaction score
two wrongs dont make a right,,and fighting aint cool, just to let you know, you gonna take the chance on killing someone over their stupid actions with their dog?,if thats what kind of person they are it will come back to them one way or another,just by you writing this post i get such a negative vibe, not a vibe that is what you are trying to describe,bad emotions,someone didnt even beat their dog in front of you ,this is hypothetical and youre pissed acting the same way this hypothetical person is acting. yeah if i saw someone in the street beating the hell out of their dog id probably say "holy shit man,what happened,what did the dog do", maybe this person is being taken over by emotion and it has nothing to do with their animal,so maybe he can stop and think "wow" instead of creating a cycle.wtf
they already said talk to them first. and of course he's pissed, sure its hypothetical in this conversation but we all know there are way too many people abusing their dogs out there right this moment, its really not hypothetical because we all know for a fact it happens everyday. youre right about the cycle of violence, but the cycle also keeps going if you just sit by and watch violence happen. and i really dont think fighting is always a bad thing, some people deserve and need to get their heads kicked in. animal abusers are one such group. as has been said there's a difference between giving your dog a necessary smack and beating the shit out of them, but it's pretty easy to make the distinction

Reactions: Gudj and Mei

venusinpisces

Reaction score
It's interesting to see all the internet warriors pop up with lengthy posts about vigilante justice, meanwhile there is little discussion about the logistics of actually providing the dog with a safe home.
One suggestion: with a large group of people this situation could probably be handled without resorting to violence, providing someone was responsible enough to care for the animal.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
It's interesting to see all the internet warriors pop up with lengthy posts about vigilante justice, meanwhile there is little discussion about the logistics of actually providing the dog with a safe home.
One suggestion: with a large group of people this situation could probably be handled without resorting to violence, providing someone was responsible enough to care for the animal.

A large group of people is resorting to "warriors of vigilante justice." Except it is a highly impractical solution to witnessing random animal abuse on the spot. Where are you going to round up a posse in order to strike fear and intimidation through numbers in under a few minutes?

ipoPua

Reaction score
any animal is better off on it's own in the wild than stuck with someone who takes advantage of and betrays their love and trust.

Dmac

Reaction score
interesting to see how many people will do nothing about cruelty to animals when they see it. and then justify their reasons for doing nothing. rationalizing it away, to make themselves feel better.

Reactions: Ekstasis and ipoPua

venusinpisces

Reaction score
any animal is better off on it's own in the wild than stuck with someone who takes advantage of and betrays their love and trust.
Many, if not most, travellers who own dogs have pit bulls, which are utterly dependent on human care. Because of their short fur, and resulting skin sensitivity, it isn't a good idea to keep them outdoors in a dog house like you can with long-haired breeds. There is no such thing as a wild pit bull. Your average feral pit ends up euthanized within a matter of weeks, if they haven't been snatched up by dog fighters or another abusive home. Just something to keep in mind for anyone who intends to liberate an animal without ongoing care.

billyriot

Reaction score
with a large group of people this situation could probably be handled without resorting to violence, providing someone was responsible enough to care for the animal.

Whether you discipline the owner, or liberate the animal from abusive "care", it's consider an act of vigilance. And in most cases when it comes to taxing someone's dog from them, violence is bound to show it's face. No one is going to let you take their dog without a fight; so unfortunately the use of violence is hardly avoided.

Admittedly, I do on occasion smack one of my dogs. He's a very bullheaded kind of dog who will often blatently disregard commands during times when I REALLY need him to focus and listen to me. However, by 'smack' I mean it's more like a hard tap done to get his attention so he'll listen to me. It's never hard enough to seriously hurt him. However, to strangers it probably looks mean.
If I see someone doing the same thing I do, I understand their frustration and just let it go. However, if it's someone beating a dog to the point that the dog is very clearly in major distress and pain, that's when it crosses the line for me, and I can't ignore that. Anyone with that kind of personality probably wouldn't be someone I'd like to begin with, so I'd just call the cops.

There's nothing wrong with disciplining your dog, especially when s/he should know better in certain situations (ie. staying hidden from unwanted attention around rails or squats), it's honestly for the benefit of the dog in the long run. But when it comes to actually abusing an animal, there is no justification for those actions. I've had people bash me for popping a dog on the nose, saying that I'm "cruel" or that s/he doesn't deserve that treatment, but when s/he snaps to reach for something I'm giving to him, or better yet when someone else is giving something, I like to give a dog a sense of mannerisms so discipline is needed.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Whether you discipline the owner, or liberate the animal from abusive "care", it's consider an act of vigilance. And in most cases when it comes to taxing someone's dog from them, violence is bound to show it's face. No one is going to let you take their dog without a fight; so unfortunately the use of violence is hardly avoided.
Most individuals don't really want to fight an entire group of people so group confrontation can minimize the extent of conflict, especially when someone lives in your community and there is time to plan ahead.

As for all the commenters in this thread who thinks it is absolutely necessary to smack a dog around, try reading about behavior management techniques. Most of these techniques take more time and are more challenging than just hitting your dog, which will give quicker results, including aggression towards humans and/or other dogs. This is why I'm trying to stress the point that protecting animals is about a lot more than attacking animal abusers, because keeping a well-behaved dog and treating it humanely is a very challenging thing to do.

Shakou

Reaction score
Honestly, I probably take care of my dogs better then the average pet owner, and definitely better then most travelers. They are on a high quality diet (none of this Pedigree or Purina shit), are on heart worm/flea/tick prevenative, see a vet regularly, are always kept on a leash and in control, and yes,they ARE trained. However, in spite of all that, Ma'ii, my Blue Heeler, will often bark during times when I really need him to be quiet, such as when we're trying to camp late at night in areas where we really don't need the attention drawn to us. And I'm not talking just little barks, but excessive alert barks. He's an ACD, and alert barking is just part of the breed....as is having a mind of their own. He has a quiet command that he knows well, but if something else has his full attention, he won't always obey it. Those are the times he'll get smacked.

R

Rager

I say fuck those disgusting disease infested homeless pieces of human waste who ride trains ( whatever that means) and beat their poor defenseless starving animals.... oh shit im late now off to my local organic coffee shop for my morning latte before my anthro class....... i'll see you guys later k

daveycrockett

Reaction score
I say fuck those disgusting disease infested homeless pieces of human waste who ride trains ( whatever that means) and beat their poor defenseless starving animals.... oh shit im late now off to my local organic coffee shop for my morning latte before my anthro class....... i'll see you guys later k
"morning latte?" "homeless?...that ride trains?" are you sure youre on the right sight? k wait i know who this is...k

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads