paradise city aug 06

maus

Reaction score
a really scummy 8-storey squatted apt building in west philly. as far as i know its still there although supposedly its getting torn down sometime soon.

belleZ

Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
D

dVEC

Paradiiiiiiiiiise!

Kinda miss it, but kinda don't.

Miss a couple of the folks I see in those pics a lot more.

P.S. don't shit in the elevator tower or else someone you've never met will move in a year later and clean it up ragefully and then eventually become your fiancee.

Labea

Reaction score
i recall hearing about an 8 story squat in philly. apparently the higher the story the more intense the drinking and partying; if you had a room around the 8th or 7th floor, people would just walk in and take over i guess. and i heard the elevator shaft was filled with two stories worth of trash... ALL HEARSAY.

i guess it sucks that its being torn down?

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i recall hearing about an 8 story squat in philly. apparently the higher the story the more intense the drinking and partying; if you had a room around the 8th or 7th floor, people would just walk in and take over i guess. and i heard the elevator shaft was filled with two stories worth of trash... ALL HEARSAY.

i guess it sucks that its being torn down?

I can only think of two buildings in philly where this would be possible, and i've never heard of either of them being used like that. One was the Goldtex building on 12th and Pearl, 12 stories on the edge of downtown. It was mostly crackheads and heroin junkies living in there, and for the most part they only stuck to the basement.

The other is the Beury Building on N. Broad, i can't remember how many stories. I only know of a couple scrappers who frequented the place. I do know that the owner (who is currently in prison for this) was paying bums and crackheads to throw all the asbestos down the elevator shafts. I never saw any signs of squatting though, mostly because the place is a death trap and is threatening to cave in on itself and/or broad street.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ive walked by it a dozen or more times, even showed people how to get there. never went in though.

maus

Reaction score
paradise city is beign torn down?? when? I wanna go visit again before it's gone!

when i lived there, jascha and i would talk about how much we wanted to piss on its ruins after this happened.

as i said, it was NOT really a good part of my life...

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Went by today. It is still standing, although a couple weeks ago, zoning notices where put on some of the doors and windows saying that whoever owns it has plans to make it into 126 (give or take) apartment units. Not sure if they are going to tear it down or just rehab it.

SweetMilitia

Reaction score
that would be alot of rehab

as everyone else said, kinda miss it kinda dont

didnt know you never went matty, tho yoiu were never in phla when I was.

Im in Orlando now, anyboidy around here?

drun_ken

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i only kicked it i paradise back during pointless of "0sumthin or another....but that palce is awsome....reminded me of the tav out in hollywierd....get drunk and get lost fer hours tryin ta find yer way around....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads