On Traveling With Dogs

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of folks are traveling with dogs,so I'd like to put up a few little tips that can make it work a little better,and maybe save you a big heartache.
Whatever breed you travel with,make sure you have the PAPER records of shots and licence.
Take the time every day to check your pooche's feet.You got boots or somthing else on,but they go over all that clinker and shit with you barefoot.If you find a cut,wash with peroxide and lay up for a day or two.Your buddy will thank you.
Take heartworm preventative with you.Heartworm is endemic from the Misissippi east and west,and has a foothold on the other side of the Rockies.Pretty much anyplace in the US,Canada,and south of the border where mosqitoes have a 5-6 season,your dog can get them,and having hospiced a couple of dogs with it,it's a sad way to go out.
Feed your dog well.One of the big box petstores (Petco?) sells a 28%protien,12% fat content puppy chow under the name Nutro Natural Chioce.I've used it a hiking food for heavy(60-90 lb.) dogs ,and its about the best for bringing back a dog that has been starved down to skin and bones.Figure about 4 cups a day if your dog is in the 60-90 range,less according to weight.Share your food is okay,but NO CHOCOLATE.

KNOW ABOUT BREED SPECIFIC LEGESLATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Some towns and even states have BSL,which means your dog can be seized if it fits a certian set of characteristics.Most of the BSL standards are aimed at folks that have "pitbull"(I HATE THAT FUCKNG WORD) dogs,or dogs that have the characteristics of same.If when you get your shots,you can ask a friendly vet tech to put anything down other than that(HOUND MIX is a great choice) on the paper,you may save your friend from being seized and euthanized.The most recent out of state run I did was to pick up a AmStaff/Lab mix that had been driven out of L.R.,Arkansas to Knoxville.L.R. recently enacted a law that you can not bring a "pitbull" into the city,it will be sezeid and euthanized.Little fellow was found torn up and had been a "bait" for dogfighting.Now he's sitting in the kitchen with me,waiting on a treat and a new home.FUCK LITTLE ROCK.

In closing spay and neuter.Your friend will thank you,live a healthier life,and probably a longer life.
These friends and partners of us watch over us when we sleep,don't make fun of us,are always happy to see us,and ask no more than to be a part of our lives,and have been doing this for at least 40,000 years.Don't you think it's time we lived up to our part of the deal?

hartage

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree totally. The suggestions you made on how to care for a dog are among the reasons I don't have a dog right now. It would be unfair to the dog if I'm not able to provide minimal adequate care and attention. So till then, no dog for me.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
dang man, that last lil bit just about brought a tear ta my eye!

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Whoops!Sorry about that ,Widerstand.I do tend to soapbox and flog dead horses.

M

Mouse

the papers are a must!

I keep my dogs rabies vax paper in my wallet at all times.
he needs new tags though, which i haven't gotten around to because i'm so damned busy. he still wears his old ones which is good enough for the time being while he's living at my moms place.

heartworms are terrifying. I've seen pictures of them on the posters at the vets office. fucked up lil creatures!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads