old dog on the road? | Squat the Planet

old dog on the road?

wildwerden

Reaction score
I already know what yr going to say. Bad fucking idea.

Background: She's 8 years old and a total house dog. She currently has a bad foot (swollen and vet can't figure it out) and limps because of it. She does have some dog aggression issues but has been doing A LOT better since I've started working with her. We have this incredible bond and it breaks my heart thinking about having to leave her behind. I try to convince myself that I can make it work but it's just going to be absolute hell for her and I refuse to do that to her. I know I can't take her.

For those of you that knew me for a while or will dig in my previous posts: My family has a total of 3 dogs, including the one I am talking about. My mom bought her to be a family dog, but she bonded to me so she is technically 'mine'. The thing is I was ten when we brought her home, so it wasn't my decision or my responsibility. I just grew up with her. My mum decided to keep the one who got run over by a car on both feet (as I mentioned in another thread). I did get a puppy a while ago but the owners asked for her back a week later. They made a decision too quick or their situation changed or something like that and felt bad / were missing her and whatnot.

I really do care for my dogs and only want the best for them. But the thing that is killing me is that I am deaf and I really, really, really would like to hit the road with a dog so they can be my ears for me. I will be training it to act as my hearing service dog of sorts. To alert me of approaching folks, trains and whatnot. Direction of sounds too. I need someone to do that for me and humans aren't really reliable. I know it's harder with a dog, but I actually have a 'disability' (hate that word with a passion) and really could use a dog on the road with me. Pros outweigh the cons by far with having a dog on the road, in my case that is.

The thought that I would be replacing my current lady makes me feel like absolutely fucking shit. She's my fucking baby. But I can't give her what she needs. A home-like environment. I am not mentally / emotionally able to hold down a job for long to pay off an apartment / be a slave to society. I'm choosing the road for a reason not because it seems 'cool' or whatever. It's a lifestyle that seems to suit my needs / wants. I'm going to ask my mom if she would be willing to take her in / my dad if she can kick back at his auto shop as a dog guard of sorts. I have a good feeling they will say no. And I am not dropping her off at a shelter. Hell, fucking no. I could kick back somewhere and search for someone else who I absolutely positively know and trust to take good care of her, but owners like that are far and few unfortunately. I'd much rather leave her with my family so I can come back every now and then and see her. And know that she is actually being cared for.

Does anyone have any thoughts / ideas / options that I may have overlooked? Sorry I am rambling so much, I've just been thinking myself into a rut and need a fresh breath on this.

urbanflow

Reaction score
busted foot? and you want to take your pup on the road? that doesnt show a lot of care to me.

Shakou

Reaction score
busted foot? and you want to take your pup on the road? that doesnt show a lot of care to me.

I think there's a difference between wishing you could really bad, and actually doing it. It's human, and I know how they feel. Years ago when I first started planning to take off, I was faced with a similar situation with a Parrot that I was VERY very close too. I wanted like FUCK to take him with me, and tried so hard to think of a way to make it work. But deep down I knew I realistically couldn't. Birds need stability, and as much as I loved him, stability wasn't something that my new life could offer. So I ended up leaving him behind with a bird savvy friend of mine. I still think about him to this day and wonder how he's doing.

Reactions: wildwerden

Shakou

Reaction score
You're right to leave her behind. Old dogs on the road aren't necessarily a bad thing if travel is something they're use to and have been doing it their whole lives, but that doesn't sound like the situation here. Leave her behind, where you know she'll always be safe and comfortable.

If you want to get a dog, maybe look into adopted a younger, more mellow dog from the shelter. Not a puppy, but a young adult, and start working with them.

Reactions: wildwerden

wildwerden

Reaction score
Thank you for that. I'm a bit wary about all the paperwork you usually have to go through at shelters. Are all shelters strict (not saying that they shouldn't be)? Would it be easier to get a dog off the 48 hour list than a no-kill shelter? Also are there any areas in the US where yr more likely to find people abandoning their dogs in the streets? Would rather take a dog out of a life / death situation than take it away from the opportunity to have a more calm / stable life.

Shakou

Reaction score
Thank you for that. I'm a bit wary about all the paperwork you usually have to go through at shelters. Are all shelters strict (not saying that they shouldn't be)? Would it be easier to get a dog off the 48 hour list than a no-kill shelter? Also are there any areas in the US where yr more likely to find people abandoning their dogs in the streets? Would rather take a dog out of a life / death situation than take it away from the opportunity to have a more calm / stable life.

In my experience, most shelters I've dealt with have been pretty strict. It would be my first choice in your situation, because it's the dogs in shelters that are in real danger of losing their lives.

Another alternative is checking out Craigslist. Lots of people have dogs they are trying to rehome off there. That was how we got our Cattledog, Ma'ii.

YOu can also always just hit the road, and wait for a dog to find you. It happens a LOT, especially when going through big cities, and it's usually those dogs that turn out to be the greatest friends.

urbanflow

Reaction score
shit man my fault, i read that wrong. thats really blows having to leave her behind but, its probably for the best.

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
NOLA,has plenty of dogs,roaming the streets !

wildwerden

Reaction score
mum won't take her back and this is a desperate call but: does anybody know a decent kind hearted being who is looking for a older, laid back dog?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads