Oddities, weirdness, and obscure places

Alaska

Reaction score
This is not the same as the "cool places..." thread. That seems to get more replies about places to hang out, places for easy money, etc.

I'm talking about curious places that either you have heard about, or have been to yourself. From just plain silly to fucking terrifying is what I'm looking for. Especially the latter, I suppose.

Here's my own list.

Yelm, WA - Known for its great standards of living, and the Ramtha School (cult) of Enlightenment just on the outskirts.

Tybee Island, Georgia - Known for the nuclear warhead that the Air Force accidentally dropped by the coast in the 50's. It's still there, so I plan on talking to locals and officials about it. Local lore, stories, etc.

Fruita, Colorado - Known only for its mascot, Mike The Headless Chicken. The whole town thrives off of the theme, and the tourism that comes from it.

Off of Hwy 109, in MO - "Zombie Road". 'Nuff said.

So far, I have only been to Yelm. Had a great time, but didn't get to involve myself with the School too much. I plan on rectifying that mistake next year, though.

How about you guys? I plan on just making a huge list and spending the entirety of next year hitting up every single place that piques my interest. Too much boozin this last time, not enough exploring.

So yes, discuss.

D

Deleted member 363

The weirdest but most awesome place I've been is Chernobyl and Pripyat. I felt like I took a time machine back to 1980s Soviet Russia.

carnytrash

Reaction score
Website
carnytrash.tumblr.com
Pine Barrens in South Jersey. It's home to the infamous Jersey Devil and whole host of evil stuff. Spend enough time in those woods [especially on mind-altering drugs] and you will instantly feel like you are in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Reactions: outskirts

Lizzzzz

Reaction score
slab city outside niland, ca. here right now hangin out with kat bastard and his wife penny puckett. there's a naval base a couple miles away that drops bombs all the time. right now there's a crazy wind storm. the hot springs are the shit, though. and so is all the weirdo art and garbage sculptures.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Yelm, WA - Known for its great standards of living, and the Ramtha School (cult) of Enlightenment just on the outskirts.

is the school abandoned? or just a weird cult you want to go witness?

Tybee Island, Georgia - Known for the nuclear warhead that the Air Force accidentally dropped by the coast in the 50's. It's still there, so I plan on talking to locals and officials about it. Local lore, stories, etc.

I've heard rumors about this place before, but it's been so long I can't really remember any details. I'll ask some of my friends though that I'm pretty sure have been there.

Off of Hwy 109, in MO - "Zombie Road". 'Nuff said.

I think you should say more. I need details!

Yeah, I'm really into stuff like this, weird, mysterious places that would make a great adventure. You should check out http://atlasobscura.com, it's fucking amazing and filled with things like this. Also, urban exploration websites are a gold mine of info for cool places to explore. Even if they don't publish the location, you can find abandoned places by paying attention to the descriptions and doing a little research (google earth is an awesome tool).

The weirdest but most awesome place I've been is Chernobyl and Pripyat. I felt like I took a time machine back to 1980s Soviet Russia.

Dude, I'm so fucking jealous. That would be an amazing place to explore!

Alaska

Reaction score
Sick, thanks guys. I'll need to write all of those on my list.

Zombie road is the place where a whole plethora of infamous "shadow children" pictures were taken, by many different photographers. It's one of the most obscure, yet consistently "haunted" places in America. You can get hit with a 200$ fine for checking it out, apparently. It's not even owned by anyone, either. I'm pretty pumped to see it, as it's been kind of a fantasy of mine since I first saw the pictures. Also, it's on the way from Six Flags to Eureka. I know that much about its location, at least.

Oh, and the school is still going strong. I've just seen a few movies by their production company (Lord Of The Winds Studios), and they're all a bunch of bullshit. The school worships JZ Knight (the school's founder) as a "host" of the ancient Babylonian Warrior God, Ramtha. They believe that quantum physics is intrinsic to understanding the consciousness of the individual. I half want to enroll myself for the lulz, and half want to spit in their collective face. Maybe both in the end.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
E

Earth

Middle Grounds / Stratford Shoals Light...
It's an 1800's lighthouse on a pile of rocks approx one acre in size in the heart of the Long Island Sound.
5.5 miles SW of Lordship CT; 5.0 miles NNE of Port Jefferson, NY..........
Some list it in CT waters, but it is actually in NY waters.
I'm told it's 8.5 miles out of Bridgeport CT, but I put in at Stratford.
- and yesh, before you ask - I kayak there - solo.....
(even my ex won't dispute that)

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
My friend told me tales of exploring and camping out in the woods in Centralia, PA. This town is the site of an underground coal mine fire that has been burning since 1962. The ground is warped and smoke rises from its cracks. Sink holes are plentiful and to be avoided - houses and other remains of humanity have sunk into the ground and nature grows up around them. The place is mostly abandoned, due to carcinogenic exhaust and danger of sink holes, but something like 16 people still live there.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
My friend told me tales of exploring and camping out in the woods in Centralia, PA. This town is the site of an underground coal mine fire that has been burning since 1962. The ground is warped and smoke rises from its cracks. Sink holes are plentiful and to be avoided - houses and other remains of humanity have sunk into the ground and nature grows up around them. The place is mostly abandoned, due to carcinogenic exhaust and danger of sink holes, but something like 16 people still live there.

yes! this is totally on my list of places i want to go explore.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
D

Deleted member 363

Somewhere in Indiana there is an abandoned radio telescope that I would like to visit sometime. I just can't remember what website it was on!

Check out this sick list of abandoned places/buiildings.
http://weburbanist.com/abandoned-buildings-towns-and-cities/

Why do the Soviets have all the cool abandoned places?
http://lh4.ggpht.com/abramsv/SJFMgEOCr5I/AAAAAAAAX4Y/8ONw6vMugdk/s800/wtwwertery45ytghfgnbv.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/abramsv/SJFMgTjvpbI/AAAAAAAAX4g/2DhHGjQNGzw/s640/e567546yurthfh.jpg
http://weburbanist.com/2008/01/27/7...-submarine-stations-to-unfinished-structures/

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
I want to resurrect this thread in case any newcomers have anything to add...:)
I will second this notion and raise you one Bachelors Grove Cemetery.
http://bachelorsgrove.com/
It's this allegedly haunted cemetery in one of the forest preserves Southwest of Chicago. Without a car (and knowing the area) it could be a bitch to find, but still worth checking out at least. I used to go there to just relax and take naps in the tall grass when I was in high school. Good times.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
Nice!

I also have a semi interesting one myself. It's not on the maps. It might possibly come up in some sort of searh but there is really nothing documented of this place. It is called Luminary. It's located off highway 30 on Dayton Mountain. It is a place where people live in secrecy and off the grid. Lots of people hideout from the law up there take care of their own dead bodies, live out of broken down busses, have no social security numbers, don't leave the mountain/area, have no electricity, etc. there are tons o awesome old abandoned houses, shacks, ollld gravesites, and all sorts of other creepy shit. It's very deliverance-esq. haha. I've only been out there once and I didn't have a camera with me, and got creeped out and left (it was late at night) an no one ever wants to go down there so even though I lived on and off Dayton mountain over the years (where my mother resided), I have never been back. For more details on location if anyone is interested and can't dig it up let me know and I can give better directions.

GetOutOf717

Reaction score
One time I was walking along the Susquehanna River, and stumbled upon an abandoned trailer park next to the railroad tracks.

It was so empty it actually creeped me out. I yelled "Hey! Anyone here?!" No answer.. I walked around and saw that everything was pretty much still there. Beer in the refrigerators outside.. a snake with its head cut off in the grill.. lol. It was like hillbilly paradise. The inspection tags on some of the RV's were only a couple months old too. It was like everyone got abducted by aliens. Bunch of bullet shells on the ground too. Probably just having fun shooting into the river. Still, I kept getting bad vibes like I was being watched. I grabbed one of the abandoned bikes there and got the fuck out of there.

There's a lot of abandoned houses and places like this by the river, and in PA in general. Pretty cool

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads