Newbie Nomad

Kodiak

Reaction score
Hey, I'm Kodiak. I am 19 and at the moment living in KS. I climb for a arborist company, well I did this year, I won't next. I grew up in heavy construction and the oil field, so I have honestly moved every six months since the day I was born for the most part. Well now I am in KS and I have been here for about a year and a half. I can't take the city or it's people. It's in my blood to move, to change my atmosphere and living conditions. So I been figuring out a hitching/ hopping/ backpacking rout for next year. Ya, I have yuppie gear. I love peak bagging and climbing mountains so I have a few fancy things. Gas stove, Good tent and sleeping back, a modern backpack. I pry will bring my six piece fly rod for when I am squating in the mountains as well. I just am going to try to figure life out. I can't even date girls because in my head, it's like it's programmed that I will be leaving her soon, so my heart won't give anyone a chance. I guess I am venting, it's fucking late. I have two cousins who travel, one is a major Gutter Punk as she says, and the other lives in the mountains and though he is white, hangs out on indian rez's. They kinda inspired thoughts of living out of my pack.

Reactions: bryanpaul
E

Earth

Don't feel guilty about having nice gear, etc.... for when something becomes important enough you do what needs to be done to get those things you want. Sounds like you're going to be prepared pretty well too. Survival is something many don't even think about, instead they rely on others to help them along.....

Yeah, I can see that - if your're always on the move, then you're always on the move.

I like that you DON'T want to get in any kind of relationship, that's a crucial thing - this way there's no broken hearts left behind - as I was on the recieving end of a woman who did just that to me: first she wanted to move right in (which I did not go for) then she later jumped the broom quite willingly with me only to ditch me shortly thereafter in a bitter break up that took a solid year to complete... and if I didn't care about her, it would have been easy to let it go - but care I did - to the point where I became both physically and mentally sick.

But that's ok... me heads on straight now, and since she's 3000 miles away there's no chance of us ever crossing paths again.
Plus, I got me dogo out of the deal !!

Woof !!

May your travels enlighten you and bring you even closer to nature...

Yell

Reaction score
I'm pretty much the same way, i'm programmed to keep going. Fortunatelly i found a wonderful guy who is the same way. We can travel together, and we can travel apart. We both have an understanding and i'm happy with it. traveling. and love. it's great :)

Reactions: Dead horse

Kodiak

Reaction score
I'm pretty much the same way, i'm programmed to keep going. Fortunatelly i found a wonderful guy who is the same way. We can travel together, and we can travel apart. We both have an understanding and i'm happy with it. traveling. and love. it's great :)

Ya see I am down for meeting a nice girl who I can travel with, I just could not do the whole, writting letters and pay phoning each other every other day deal.

Reactions: Yell

Kodiak

Reaction score
Sounds like you're going to be prepared pretty well too. Survival is something many don't even think about, instead they rely on others to help them along..... .
Ya, see I am originally from Kenai/ Homer Alaska, that where I was born, and I knew guys living in buses and under tarps that could make a living off the fly rod, and keep there belly full to. I will be more of a wilderness squat for sure

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
hey man welcome. i love homer and the kenai area..sooo beautiful :) its great to have good gear,especially in the mountains....i would just say, don't bring anything that you can't part with eventually - as in - it will likely get stolen, eventually. Unless you carry your pack with you every minute of everyday which gets old you're gonna want to stash it somewhere or leave it at someone's place, just remember that

Dead horse

Reaction score
Hey man you sound like a tough hombre with all the moving you've done throughout your life, people wanna talk shit about your gear then they don't deserve slack, as for the chick thing , I used to want a traveling chick, had a couple, just made me realize at my age and mentality of the world that on those hot sunny days out on the road when i take my shirt off and show some skin and ink the women start giving me more rides, talking to me, offering to take me home and clean my up makes it all worth it, ha ha there's gonna be people looking like me all over years after I'm gone and i don't give a fuck cuz i'd bite a dog first if it made me feel threatened. Cheers man

Kodiak

Reaction score
Why are you introducing yourself and talking about meeting girls/being unavailable. what does that have to do with it?

Well it's a big reason why I plan to travel I guess. I feeling it is impossible to grow roots, I am still a seed flying around in a birds stomach, waiting to be shit out. I been trying this meet girls things but I found out my heart won't do it, so I guess it might be safer for me to travel that way. Normal life is not a life for me. I don't do these fourm deals so sorry if I mess up what I should say. I don't normaly use computers much either.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
Why would you base a huge life altering decision on the fact you refuse to let yourself get close to girls? If you care so little what does that have to do with it is all I'm saying. Great travel, whatever, don't put it off on the fact that thats what you've been soon your whole life. Everyone and anyone can change however thy want to if thats what they truly want...so travel because you love the road, adventures, meeting new people, and having new experiences, not because you grew up doing it and it's an easy (well its not really that easy) out or whatever. Have you ever slept outside broke and hungry, board, alone, stranded for days, with no one to fall back on? Maybe you have but from my assumptions (which could be completely false excuse me) it doesn't seem like this is something you have experienced. It's not as easy as you think...

Reactions: Rancho

Kodiak

Reaction score
It's not just girls, its guy friends as well. I just can't take staying in one place, I get bitter quick in one place. And I was born and lived in a cabin in Alaska that had no running water, no power, and no sewer. Had to boil our water from the near by river, used lanterns, and shit in a bucket and no one likes doing that when it is a -10 outside. In January the cabin would only get up to 32-36 degrees not matter how much wood we put in the stove. I lived here on and off for awhile. You hunt and fish to survive. I am not really going to do the urban living thing. I am going to squat in the woods and mountains. I am prepared. I wont carry a rifle of course, but I will have a fly rod with me. A man can live along time of a jug of honey, a fly rod, and rolled oats. I have had to do it. I know its ruff, but I remember being most happy when I was around that life style. I love having to survive or die, it makes me feel human. I just want to survive or die while seeing places, which I know will be hard because every place has different food, diffrent fish that need different flys. I have had lived in close to 35+ places so I kinda have a idea what and where to go. And see you right, I will do it cause I loved it, because that what I like, seeing new places and people, I get sick of the same old same old, I know theres more out there.

Reactions: Alaska

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
best of luck to you sir. i would say don't forsake the urban areas completely. urban survival and wilderness survival are pretty different for sure but its good to experience both. experience everything you can in life i say! by the way, sweet pipe man.

Reactions: Alaska

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I can understand mentioning being unable to foster a meaningful relationship in your introduction to a traveling site. For years I had the same problem you did. I'd meet a girl, start getting sweet, then next thing I knew all I could think about was how it was gonna end and would just pick up my shit and leave. My inability to have a normal relationship was one of the major things that's kept me on the road for so long now. It took me 8 yrs to meet a traveling girl I could have a relationship with that lasted longer than a month. We actually had to break up, not see each other for 4 months and then run back into each other to make us realize that maybe a relationship between two fiercely independent travelers could work.

Reactions: Kodiak

Alaska

Reaction score
Digging this thread. I'm actually from Alaska myself (hurr-durr), and have spent many a month in the same area. Maybe people don't realize how extreme the Alaska wilds really are, and judging by what you've said in this thread, I'd definitely say go for it. You know how to survive in areas forgotten to the rest of the world, and that's a skill the vast majority of younger traveling kids wished they had.

Warning, though. You will probably be able to survive and thrive on the road, and many kids WILL try to leech off of you. As in, they didn't bring the right tools, food, gear, etc. for the specific scenario they may find their selves in. I'm not saying not to help someone in need, but there is a huge difference between doing a favor for a kindred spirit, and continuously allowing some kid to leech off of you. Teach a man to fish and all. That is, if you end up meeting people worth getting to know.

Just my two cents.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
Digging this thread. I'm actually from Alaska myself (hurr-durr), and have spent many a month in the same area. Maybe people don't realize how extreme the Alaska wilds really are, and judging by what you've said in this thread, I'd definitely say go for it. You know how to survive in areas forgotten to the rest of the world, and that's a skill the vast majority of younger traveling kids wished they had.

Warning, though. You will probably be able to survive and thrive on the road, and many kids WILL try to leech off of you. As in, they didn't bring the right tools, food, gear, etc. for the specific scenario they may find their selves in. I'm not saying not to help someone in need, but there is a huge difference between doing a favor for a kindred spirit, and continuously allowing some kid to leech off of you. Teach a man to fish and all. That is, if you end up meeting people worth getting to know.

Just my two cents.

So true. And don't get robbed. People love to jack people's fancy gear...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads