new to everything

Ghostie

Reaction score
Hello. I thought about this for years and have finally gotten to the point where I'm done thinking and ready to actually do something. I'm exhausted with pretending to want to go to school and get a job and pay my rent and fill my life with "things". I have discovered, at my naive age of 20, that above all else I desire freedom and I'm not sure if I can live a life without it. So I'm extremely motivated to try the tramp life.
Right now I'm doing a lot of research and trying to connect with people. I really don't know anyone who is serious about this and wouldn't mind giving me a bit of guidance. I'm reading everywhere that you should start off with someone experienced, especially with the train hopping. So I guess my goal right now is to meet people and hopefully by late May/June I'll have found some people to travel with.
I'd love to head north and see Oregon and Washington, but I also would like to go to the desert in the south. Really I'm down to go wherever.

wartomods

Reaction score
I wont say anything cause this is a complicated question.
Meanwhile, welcome.

piratehobo

Reaction score
well, if you make it out to san diego, lemme know! it's always good to have more women around. even tho i've never really got along too well with females fer some reason. they never liked me, i don't care either way. i just think women oughta stick 2gether.

Ghostie

Reaction score
Hey I don't usually get along with girls much either, but the girls I do get along with tend to be the most amazing human beings. Are you staying in San Diego or do you travel? I was thinking about maybe heading south to the deserts east of there.

piratehobo

Reaction score
well,i travel a bit, haven't hopped out yet. hitchin', bussin', 'n' walkin' are i can claim thus far. same goes for me as far as the women i am friends with r pretty fuckin' amazing. i live in s.d. with my dad, which sux for the most part, but it's a place to sleep and shower... i once went to an abandoned mine area around the mountains out here. it was pretty awesome. found alot of weird rocks.

stove

Reaction score
i once went to an abandoned mine area around the mountains out here. it was pretty awesome. found alot of weird rocks.

Don't suppose any of them were glowing? jk...

Ghostie: Welcome. If you've got a few days later this month, the gathering up in Portland might be a good bet to meet up with a bunch of folk to learn about hitching, squatting, and riding. I'm certainly hoping to pick up some info on riding, as well as some tips on hitching on this left coast. Don't be shy, share some stories, ask some questions (Check to see if they've been answered already), and enjoy!

Ghostie

Reaction score
I have those days and of course I would absolutely love to be there, but I'm unsure about how to get there and back. I'd imagine a lot of people are hitchhiking or train hopping, two things I have no experience doing (yet). But it sounds like a fucking blast.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

stove

Reaction score
yeah. Piratehobo and I are (theoretically) hitching up together from the San Diego area. It shouldn't be too difficult, there'll be lots of hitchers and riders on their way up the coast. Personally, I plan on dropping hints to drivers that they should be picking up fools standing out on the road with thumbs/signs held high heading to PDX. But yeah, like mattpist said, check the rideboard, there should be a fair number of folks heading up from your area.

Ghostie

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't imagine it would be hard to find people to go with on the way UP. Problem comes in when I've got to come back down that weekend. Still got a damn job. Hence why I'm not catching out until late May. Blehhh.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having a job as long as you don't get paid to oppress people. And ignoring my typical life experience, I'd advise you to start small and build up your skills, you don't have to go trainhopping for your first real trip. You could bus it to the gathering and learn some stuff and bus back down, and no one could really blame you for it, since you have a tight schedule...

Ghostie

Reaction score
I'm going to look into this bus idea, Finn. Thanks.

Ghostie

Reaction score
The bus actually looks cheaper than amtrak, at this point. Ideally, I'd like to go for something way cheaper than both of those options. I'll check CL for ride shares. Thanks youze.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads