My (and doobie d's) first train ride....... | Squat the Planet

My (and doobie d's) first train ride.......

bryanpaul

Reaction score
so yeah...... derek and a few other freinds from MD dippin out on court cases had somehow made it out of our bumfuck county to the west coast where they were introduced to a subculture known as "travelin kids"...whaaat? you mean theres all these punks and drunks and hippies and etc just roamin around livin it up??....so yeah after about a year of him and a couple other Maryland kids bein out there...i finally split(at some point or another it ended up that 11 or 12 of our freind group from MD hit the road at some point) so yeah... "flying a sign?" "rage a hotey?!" WTF these grimy ass hippies talkin about....luckily after i left MD it was straight across the country to bum training ground ..california.... "oi, you got a rollie?"... WTF izza rollie?...why are all these kids "OI'ing at me all the time?.. so yeah spent about a year or so going up and down and around the west coast livin it up .... so we'd run into these "crusties"?//// and shit ..all carharted out with bandannas round they necks talkin about riding trains...like oh shit...that sounds like the way to go...fast forward...plot:..... so we'r in santa barbara CA, we had befreinded probably one of the awesomest humans i've yet to meet "crazy ray"... rico suave ass short ass old ass puerto rican semi-homebum... claimed he used to be FTRA...tellin us about the rails and shit...so we'r all layed out on the beach in santa barbara one night and it's bout that time to go to the beer store for the last time ...so we leave dereks girlfreind kayla with all our gear and head to the 7/11 to grab our nite-nites ....so we go into the store getta big ol sack of steel reserve tall cans and walk out ...lookin down the street like half a block here's this freight train creeepin across the overcrossing....it stops....hmm neat... so here comes this guy walkin down the little path from the tracks...crazy ray goes up to him and says(in raspy homebum voice) "hey....... your the conductor arentcha?"...so the guys is lookin at us fer a second and says "yeah"...crazy ray busts out "WE WANNA RIDE BROTHER"....so the conductor just kinda looks at us for a few moments and says " aaaalll right hop in the second unit and dont touch nuthin" WTF!!! so yeah highballin down the coast line with a bag fulla beeers....good times....theres more stuff to this but yeah.............oh, and poor ol kayla on the beach? :(...oops...we got back a day and a half later.....needless to say she was PISSED!! had left our gear on the beach..but she rigged it up so our sleepin bags looked like there was people in em........... good times(sorry kayla)......... i feel lucky to have ridden that coast line several more times since then ...one of the best ..theres times where the tracks are basically right on the beach with pacific waves breakin and shit....almost no traffic on it these days(besides van nuys to guadalupe;))...but yeah....thats all.........notta good story teller but yeah.................

bryanpaul

Reaction score
450184-R1-16-17A.jpg

^maybe the third(?) train i ever rode ........ coast line baby(sorry, now i'm just gittin all nostialgic:rolleyes:)
450184-R1-15-16A.jpg

xftjh-2.jpg

K/C/M/D

bryanpaul

Reaction score
yeah

Reactions: Alaska

bryanpaul

Reaction score
fuck y'all.....i was drunk

Reactions: p4r4d0x

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I thought it was actually pretty good. I was well aware of traveler culture by the time I hit the west coast, but I'll never forget being 15 yrs old on the river walk in nola hanging out with the first train kids I ever befriended. You're writing style reminds me of my thoughts at the time. I had come from new england and wasn't even aware there was any kind of traveling "scene" I can remember that I thought "riding the dpu"" meant taking some kinda city bus I hadn't heard about.

Unslap

Reaction score
That was awesome. Homebum raspy voice hahaha!

Shulseee

Reaction score
I loved how you told the story man. It felt totally real in my head, like i was there. Plus, Steel Reserve tall boys are my favorite thing to drink. Especially while ridin.

K

Kim Chee

I was lucky enough to ride the coast route before it was shut down, you're right it is pretty scenic. Yeah, and we do talk funny out here, but then again so do you on the east coast.
Great story. Izzat you sippin' on a 2-11 40 before it was cool?

bryanpaul

Reaction score

bryanpaul

Reaction score
Lil video of my last ride on the coastline in 09. Sure is purdy.
daaamn .....i dont remember a loop like that on that line....that somewhere near paso robles/atascadero?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
ahhh cuesta grade....ok..... right outside SLO

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads