Must-see destinations between Portland and Boston | Squat the Planet

Must-see destinations between Portland and Boston

NephiMatthews

Reaction score
Heya everyone. The title says it all, pretty much. This summer, i'm planning on getting out of town and traveling for the first time. Specifically, going from Portland, Oregon; to Boston. Now, I've done a fair amount of lurking at various online resources around the web on traveling, though i'm new to STP. And while all that watching of others gives me a general idea of what traveling life may be like, and helps me plan for the difficulties and realities of it; it doesn't help me plan my specific destinations.

So i'm coming to those more traveled than I, and asking; what path should I take from Portland to Boston. What are the must see places if i'm taking a month or two to trek my way across the US in the cheapest way possible? How would you get there and where would you stop? What places are bad to hitchhike through and should be avoided?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated, just a friendly neighborhood teenager trying to get out and away.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hi there - have a great journey! How do you plan on traveling?

NephiMatthews

Reaction score
The plan is to hitchhike east when I can, if i meet someone that wanted to show me how to hop freight i'm open to the idea, though it seems a little dangerous. I have a little bit of money saved up, so i could buy bus tickets or pitch in for gas with some folks if I have to/find the opportunity. The goal is to travel cheap and have time to see the places i'm passing through rather than just get from West to East as fast as possible.

D

Deleted member 14481

Train hopping is VERY dangerous. I would suggest biking, hiking, or taking Megabus/ Greyhound. I would suggest hitchhiking before train hopping. ::banhappy::

I would suggest avoiding Boston and MA all together, but to each their own. ::blackeye::

If you get the chance - hit up Cleveland, OH and Pittsburgh, PA. 2 good places to get on Food Stamps. Pitt is a good squatting/ camping place if you need to stop for a rest. Avoid Philadelphia, unless you need clothes. Philly AIDs Thrift in South Philly will hook you up if you're having a bad time. If you're good on clothes and gear don't bother with Philly. ::cyclops::

Good luck, have fun, and safe travels! ::pompus::

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
from chicago going east to boston, megabus and china town buses are a pretty great way to get around cheaply.

also, i changed the title of this thread to make it a little more accurate.

dianabunny

Reaction score
Train hopping is VERY dangerous. I would suggest biking, hiking, or taking Megabus/ Greyhound. I would suggest hitchhiking before train hopping. ::banhappy::

I would suggest avoiding Boston and MA all together, but to each taeir own. ::blackeye::

If you get the chance - hit up Cleveland, OH and Pittsburgh, PA. 2 good places to get on Food Stamps. Pitt is a good squatting/ camping place if you need to stop for a rest. Avoid Philadelphia, unless you need clothes. Philly AIDs Thrift in South Philly will hook you up if you're having a bad time. If you're good on clothes and gear don't bother with Philly. ::cyclops::

Good luck, have fun, and safe travels! ::pompus::
Im headed to Philly in the next few days from Atlantic city. I met some kids here there from Philly and said it was a blast and ample opportunities for busking. ..but hearing this...why should it be avoided...certain parts or just altogether?
Also, looking for any info on coming into greyhound station...what that neighborhood like?
Thanks for any info!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Im headed to Philly in the next few days from Atlantic city. I met some kids here there from Philly and said it was a blast and ample opportunities for busking. ..but hearing this...why should it be avoided...certain parts or just altogether?
Also, looking for any info on coming into greyhound station...what that neighborhood like?
Thanks for any info!

i don't think you'll have any trouble between atlantic city and philly. philly has some bad parts of town of course, but overall it's alright.

technotrash

Reaction score
I'm guessing you're already out and bout seeing as we're halfway through August now but Northampton Ma is a great little town, should be fairly easy to catch a ride from there to boston, hit me up if you need directions to the good hitch spots around there

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads