modifying packs?

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
The backpack I have right now is kind of a piece of shit...there's hardly any external pockets and the "frame" is a thin rectangle of plastic. Plus the zippers stick. However, the hundred-some dollars needed for a nice pack is unlikely to come easily to me, and if it does, it's not going to be spent on backpacks.

I'm not on the street right now so it's not terribly urgent, but has anyone ever modded a shitty pack to work better? I want to add more pockets to mine, maybe replace the frame with something sturdier, that kind of thing. Is this just an exercise in futility, though? Anyone have any advice?

Also, if I do end up buying a new one, I was thinking about an Alice pack...anyone have good experiences with that one? It looks handy but also a little like it might be bad for my back...idk.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I've put extra pockets in backpacks, but a shitty pack is a shitty pack. The shoulder straps will determine how comfortable a heavy load is, but if you're going to be doing that much work (I haven't) it'll be like making a whole new pack almost from scratch. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it'll take time. I remember people have talked about Alice packs in other threads...

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
The straps are fine...actually pretty great. I've been able to support pretty heavy loads without too much strain. (I'm a notorious overpacker and I should cut that shit out anyway.) I guess all in all it's really not too bad, just kind of a pain in the ass because it's disorganized and I always worry about the frame cracking.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
you can get a realy nice pack at an army surplus store for like $20. andthey are practically indestructable. look for one near you. great to get bedrolls, cantines, and boots too.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
There's a great army surplus store called Andy and Bax here, which is where I got my pack. And only the really little ones are in the twenty dollar range though. Although I'm not sure it's army surplus, because a&b sell all kinds of similar shit.

A great place for gear in general though. I really should get a canteen...my nalgene's always leaking. Nothing worse than noticing a wet patch under where you've been standing, and realizing in horror that all your water's gone, all your food and clothing is wet, and that you are an idiot.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ive got a nice flexable army canteen. i can sit on it and it survives! thats saying alot because im a 5'10 girl lol

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Depends on what build you are whether the Alice Pack will be good for you or not.
I'm 6' 2" tall and weigh 233lbs, thus an Alice Pack on my back only looks like an extra large mole! haha!
If you're like normal build, then I would say you'd do alright with one. I just gave one away to another person in Del Rio, Texas last month. (I think I had paid like $27.00 for it) at the army/navy surplus store.

If you know how to sew, then just use you're imagination. Zippers can be bought at most stores. Wal*Mart sells them in their fabric departments for like $1.25 each, depending on how long/what type/plastic vs aluminum. I'd sure go with plastic ones if I was gonna be making my own pack, being that eventually your sweat will make its way there and corrode the aluminium and detergents will corrode these as well.
Also these stores sell a variety of sewing needles to meet the demand that you'll be putting them through and all sewing.......
Just look in a magazine/book that sells packs. See what you'd have to do to make you're very own. (I have always thought about making my very own as well, but me being so short on temper, I'd flip-out before finishing one ever)!!!
Good luck!

• Useful
Reactions: Bizarre Odor

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
Yeah I think I'm just gonna try to fuck around with the one I have to make it better. I'm pretty deft with a needle from sewing old clothes together into new clothes and stuff.

I'm trying to figure out what to use to reinforce my frame...the plastic one just kinda slides into this slot so I could put pretty much anything in there. I could use aluminum maybe...or maybe just some cardboard if the plastic cracked on me or something...although that might get wet. Who knows.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
it makes the water taste a little off but after you use it a couple times you dont notice. holds enough water for about two days though. not for long trips on trains and such.

Speedy

Reaction score
Id have to say you would proably be better off saving the the money for a new bag, alice pack or whatever. My experience with sewing anything my self (by hand), is that no matter how good you sew it, its alway's gonna rip apart. Doesnt matter what it is: pants, shirts, bags, or anything. If your not on the road now and not in dire need just suck it up and scrounge some money for a pack. Its an investment that youll have for a long time and the only part of your gear that shouldnt be a fucked up pain in the ass to use. After all, its got your whole life in it.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
I went shopping today and I found this military rucksack that's like the european version of an alice pack...it's a little bit bigger and has more pockets though. And it's only thirty bucks. I may have hit the jackpot here.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello "mKirby"........
I posted a new thread called "If you were the CEO of a backpacking company".......
I thought about this post here while typing it up.
You might get some fairly neat ideas by keeping your eye out on that thread!
(If you know how, you can subscribe to get email from that thread). This way you can keep a closer eye out on what ideas spring up about backpacks that may aide you in you're quest for trying to figure out what to do about that pack you own now.
The backpack I have right now is kind of a piece of shit...there's hardly any external pockets and the "frame" is a thin rectangle of plastic. Plus the zippers stick. However, the hundred-some dollars needed for a nice pack is unlikely to come easily to me, and if it does, it's not going to be spent on backpacks.

I'm not on the street right now so it's not terribly urgent, but has anyone ever modded a shitty pack to work better? I want to add more pockets to mine, maybe replace the frame with something sturdier, that kind of thing. Is this just an exercise in futility, though? Anyone have any advice?

Also, if I do end up buying a new one, I was thinking about an Alice pack...anyone have good experiences with that one? It looks handy but also a little like it might be bad for my back...idk.

sweet potatoe

Reaction score
if you get bicycle inter tubes, it makes it really fun and easy to make extra pockets, like i made a really nifty harmonica pouch/slot/thing on my normal backpack, then you can throw on shopping cart straps or anythin of that sort to get it to shut.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads