Marijuana Heart Attack Risk

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Basically, both strokes and heart attacks occur because of a blockage in the circulatory system. Any increase in heart rate can will also increase the stress on already impaired blood vessels, since the force of blood has a greater impact and there is a higher likelihood of arterial rupture and similar problems. This is why doctors recommend that patients with heart disease monitor their heart rate during exercise, to prevent a heart attack from occurring. Any substance that increases the heart rate suddenly can cause problems, which is a very basic part of understanding human physiology. Researchers frequently use unnecessarily large amounts of a substance to demonstrate a hypothesis. However, the same principle would remain true even with smaller amounts.

I understand what you and the article are saying, I'm just saying you have to look at it in a logical perspective. Like I know that eating a pound of red meat a day is terrible for my body, so I don't. I do however eat red meat, just not in a large amount. If I did a study with only people who ate 1-3lbs or red meat a day (which I would say is about comparable to 78-350 joints a week) I would definitely find that a large amount of them where at high risk for a heat attack. However, if I were only to look at people eating from a pound a week to a little under a pound a day (lets say a joint a week to about 5-7 a day) which is a much more realistic demographic, its reasonable to say that a much smaller amount would be at high risk for a heart attack.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
I understand what you and the article are saying, I'm just saying you have to look at it in a logical perspective. Like I know that eating a pound of red meat a day is terrible for my body, so I don't. I do however eat red meat, just not in a large amount. If I did a study with only people who ate 1-3lbs or red meat a day (which I would say is about comparable to 78-350 joints a week) I would definitely find that a large amount of them where at high risk for a heat attack. However, if I were only to look at people eating from a pound a week to a little under a pound a day (lets say a joint a week to about 5-7 a day) which is a much more realistic demographic, its reasonable to say that a much smaller amount would be at high risk for a heart attack.
I would agree that there is a need for a more comprehensive study that bases its conclusions on diverse subsets of the population, since controlled studies are what the scientific method is founded on in the first place. At the same time, common sense, combined with knowledge of very basic biological principles, clearly shows that marijuana can induce heart attacks in people with a preexisting condition. I've known enough people in my own personal life whose heart disease has been exacerbated by marijuana use that any scientific study proving this fact is pretty much redundant. But I hope that the scientific community will take interest in this issue anyways because, otherwise, cannabis patients and recreational users may end up paying the price of uninformed use, especially as cultivated strains become more and more potent. And again, this information may not currently be relevant for most people here, but it could be something to keep in mind for 15-20 years down the road.

even if it was you still got the 5 sec rule :)
Yeah, unless my dog was just eating pig's feet. She likes to take the chewy stuff out of the bowl and spread it across the floor so if I haven't mopped yet the 5 sec rule does not apply. :dead_zombie:

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
even if it was you still got the 5 sec rule :)
No way! I was using my folks kitchen it's an open kitchen which merges with the dining room and on in to the living room,
to much foot traffic on that floor, to much pet hair.
After I dropped them I was infuriated, my mother just calmly said to me "can we cut the top off what fell?" I had to laugh,
that was a serious pothead idea, lol. So there I was on the kitchen floor doing special brownie surgery.
What can I say, my folks love their brownies!

Gypsy Smile

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well Yeah, Anything that increases your heart rate can trigger a Heart Attack. Hell just RUNNING can trigger a heart attack. Tell the Harvard's to quit trying to bring up reasons why Marijuana shouldn't be legal. There are many things that can trigger a heart attack to someone who has heart problems or of someone who is of age that their heart is starting to go down-hill. If you have Athsma, or Heart Problems you shouldn't smoke ANYTHING at all. Not just weed. There are millions of things that people do that raise their heart rate up. Running. Medications.Even Sex. So It's not just Marijuana, But this is a very good Post.

xbocax

Reaction score
from what was written it seems that with smoking weed there is a drastic change in the rate affecting primarily the heart. With sex and running you gradually raise your heart rate and have many other parts of your body helping to facilitate with the physical activity. It just doesnt seem healthy to have your heart rate jump and dive without ever really moving.

Traveler

Reaction score
Lol at people looking to point the finger at Cannabis while ignoring pre-existing conditions. If your body has a defect that's your problem but don't defame this wonderful plant.

Cannabis has been used for a few thousand years with less issues than sugar has had for the last 50.

doghead45

Reaction score
Most energy drinks do the same thing. Niacin especially. Consume at your own risk. Weed is still awesome, and if the only drawback to getting high is increased heart rate, then cool.

xbocax

Reaction score
Just because it hasnt happened to you doesnt mean it doesnt happen. I get curious when i meet people that for some reason claim weed to be the solve all end all and refuse to hear anything otherwise.

Reactions: Jive

Traveler

Reaction score
Just because it hasnt happened to you doesnt mean it doesnt happen. I get curious when i meet people that for some reason claim weed to be the solve all end all and refuse to hear anything otherwise.

I don't have a pre-existing condition so why would this happen to me? Learn to read.

xbocax

Reaction score
well then you have nothing to contribute to the thread because this thread is for the adverse effects of smoking weed not an argument to whether its good or bad or how wonderful your health is

xbocax

Reaction score
also this information is very important to people that may have weaker lungs or hearts so to say we are defaming it is a jackass approach on your part when the thread is trying to inform people and possibly save them alot of health risks

venusinpisces

Reaction score
I don't have a pre-existing condition so why would this happen to me? Learn to read.
Nobody said that this was going to happen to you. Before criticizing someone's reading abilities you may want to go back and take a closer look at the comment, since there seems to be a misunderstanding on your part. The point he was making is that weed raises the heart rate abruptly as compared to jogging or other forms of exercise which raise the heart rate in a comparatively more gradual way. This difference means that smoking weed is relatively more dangerous for the person with heart disease or high blood pressure since they will not be able to stop the physiological changes by resting, as in the case of exercise. Again, while this information may not currently apply to most people here, it is something to keep in mind for 20-30 years down the road, assuming you're planning on living that long. It's funny that people here are getting so defensive even though I repeatedly made comments in favor of legalization, talked about how much I love smoking weed (actually vaporizing these days but whatever), etc. I wouldn't go so far as to say that marijuana is not all that healthy because (TMI alert for the squeamish) my periods are so terrible that weed makes all the difference between whether I'm in horrific pain or functional enough to get things done. And I've tried everything else out there for it with little to nothing to show for it. Marijuana is truly a miracle plant for certain conditions. But taken in excess, it can make you sluggish, unmotivated and withdrawn. And it will wreak havoc on your short term memory. If you've got to have it, then that's your business and it's not my place to judge because I've been there. It also really helps with PTSD because it blocks nightmares and I'm willing to bet that a lot of people here use it for that without even being aware of it. Do what you have to do but don't deny the effects is all I'm saying. xbocax made a really good point that few in the medical cannabis movement are willing to examine honestly. I don't agree with his assessment that weed is necessarily always going to be unhealthy but the point about abnormally rapid changes in heart rate from smoking weed is a very important one.

Reactions: crazy john

venusinpisces

Reaction score
yeah i get terrible chest pains sometimes when i smoke marijuana too. they're the only thing in the world that makes me panic when i smoke. one thing i noticed, though, is that i never, ever have gotten these types of pains when i was outside walking around. always when im inside sitting or lying down. and it doesn't seem coincidental although i don't have a theory on what it means.
Thanks for mentioning this. It's a much more common side effect than many people realize. As for why movement reduces the pains, I don't have an explanation for this either but I've had the same problem. This is actually a symptom used for homeopathic diagnosis so you may want to look into it if you get the chance. Chest pains are a rarity for me these days since I've used holistic health therapies like the Weston Price diet to heal myself. Chest pain used to be a regular part of smoking weed but not anymore. Ironically, one of the biggest parts of curing myself was consuming large quantities of saturated fat, in direct contradiction to the advice of Western medicine. If you're on the road with heart disease then expending some extra effort to take care of yourself with diet and supplements will really pay off, especially since the average traveler doesn't exactly have a healthy lifestyle. Good luck and send me a PM if you want a few tips.

crazy john

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
thats crazy!!! i love my nugs and im not one to get scared straight but tis is literally the first medical info ive heard that pot can be bad for you. thanks for the info.

oki

Reaction score
actually, stress is the no. 1 trigger of heart attacks. weed helps you relax. my bullshit alarm goes off when i read something like this, just because a test shows a certain result, doesnt mean that all conclusions you draw from that are correct. and theres a lot fo questionable research when it comes to this subject, since there are a lot of people who want to prove its eighter good or bad.
but i guess you allways have to be careful with anyhing you do, when you have a heart condition. just not sure you can blame the pot when your heart condition gives you a heart attack.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads