Marijuana Heart Attack Risk

venusinpisces

Reaction score
This information is probably most useful for older folks but there may be a few younger people with heart conditions here who could benefit as well. A study done at Harvard recently found that heart attack risk is nearly 5 times greater up to an hour after smoking marijuana.
Marijuana Said to Trigger Heart Attacks
From the article:
The danger exists in the first hour after smoking pot, Mittleman told an American Heart Association meeting in San Diego today (March 2). "It causes the heart rate to increase by about 40 beats a minute," he says. "Blood pressure increases then abruptly falls when the person stands up. This could precipitate a heart attack."

Mittleman noted that, as an immediate trigger for heart attack, pot smoking is nearly twice as dangerous as sex for a sedentary person, exercise for a fit male or female, a tantrum of rage, or a bout of anxiety.​
Personally, it never ceases to amaze me how many common sense ideas are announced as *breaking news* by the medical industry. I have a heart condition myself and there have been many times when I experienced severe chest pains immediately after smoking weed. This was always confusing to me because I'd always heard about how harmless it is compared to other drugs. So about a decade ago I looked up marijuana side effects and discovered that this happens because of the drug's effects on heart rate. I've spoken to a lot of other people who have told me about chest pains that occurred immediately after getting high as well. So, how is it that all these marijuana prescribing physicians with 8 years of education under their belts are not seeing the obvious connection between a sharp rise in smokers' heart rates and the concurring risk of heart attacks and/or strokes? Hello, people? This is not rocket science.

There is this myth that marijuana is completely harmless but I would be willing to bet that there are people out there who have either died or had significant medical problems as a result of uninformed use, especially considering that many who go to the emergency room aren't going to want to discuss whatever illegal drug use they were engaging in prior to their visit. Don't get me wrong. I am 100% in favor of legalization as marijuana is incredibly useful in a wide variety of situations. But what irritates the hell out of me is people's inability to be reasonable about the situation and inform others of potential risks. Particularly in the case of older people who are using weed for health reasons, this is an issue that needs to be addressed honestly by the medical marijuana movement. Sometimes it seems like people are so defensive about their drug of choice that they've lost the ability to think logically and see anything beyond the issue of federal suppression of the plant. I like to smoke weed too but you will never hear me saying that it doesn't impair motor coordination in experienced users, or some of the other nonsense I hear coming out of people's mouths.

One of my friends is a grower and I always looked to her as an example of responsible drug use, wishing I could be as disciplined, since she has a great job, nice house, etc. Well, last time I went to visit her she told me that there had been a hose on in her front yard for 3 or 4 months without her noticing. One day she was babysitting and the infant she was watching crawled over the area that had been soaked in water. A sinkhole was instantly created and the child plunged about 6 feet down into the ground! My friend had to call someone over to jump into the hole and retrieve the infant!!! So, there are risks that come with daily use of any mind altering substance. It doesn't necessarily mean you need to quit those drugs entirely but let's be realistic at the same time.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Oh, and I almost completely forgot to mention: I actually knew someone who passed away from a marijuana related stroke. This was my dealer's brother who I had met on a few occasions but did not know well. My dealer, who I've known for 4 years now, had been smoking a blunt with him when all of a sudden his brother just passed out. I don't know how long it took for him to die after that but it was definitely smoking weed that triggered the stroke. It makes me so mad to think there are so many irresponsible physicians out there who don't even think to warn people about these common sense issues. Because, after 8 years of schooling, ignorance is no longer an excuse.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I got what your saying, but I use it with moderation. I don't think anything consumed is really good for you if it is consumed constantly. Besides weed is to illegal and to expensive for me to be fucking around with it all the time.
Also I always prefer to cook and eat it over smoking it. For me it's always been a better high that way, plus I have asthma.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
The main point I was making is that there are doctors with extensive scientific training who are promoting ideas that are not just false, they directly endanger the lives of those patients under their care. What your average young and healthy, or not so healthy, pot smoker does isn't really any of my business unless they want to tell me about it. I was also speaking from experience because of having done dumb stuff like eating too much pot food and getting lost two blocks from my house. My dog actually had to bring me home because I had no idea where I was. That story is beyond the embarrassed face so I'm not even going to include it.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
And if you are able to effortlessly use with moderation, then I am jealous. More power to you! :)

Nagrom

Reaction score
I have a friend who the first time he smoked pot had a heart attack. thank god he lived. he had a heart condishion he didnt even know he had. he cant even be around the smoke of pot.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
I have a friend who the first time he smoked pot had a heart attack. thank god he lived. he had a heart condishion he didnt even know he had. he cant even be around the smoke of pot.
Thanks for sharing that story. I'm sure it happens way more than is acknowledged in the medical literature.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Oh, and I almost completely forgot to mention: I actually knew someone who passed away from a marijuana related stroke. This was my dealer's brother who I had met on a few occasions but did not know well. My dealer, who I've known for 4 years now, had been smoking a blunt with him when all of a sudden his brother just passed out. I don't know how long it took for him to die after that but it was definitely smoking weed that triggered the stroke. It makes me so mad to think there are so many irresponsible physicians out there who don't even think to warn people about these common sense issues. Because, after 8 years of schooling, ignorance is no longer an excuse.

The stroke issue is a little more complicated than the heart attack issue. I wouldn't be 100% certain that the weed is what triggered the stroke in this instance. I used to build stone walls with a 65 yr old tough-as-granite motherfucker who actually started smoking pot after his 2nd stroke. According to all his doctors he shouldn't of ever been able to recover, but he just went back to work, smoking like a chimney the whole time. Well, he's now in his 70's and has all but completely recovered from his strokes. He hikes long distances on the weekends and builds stone walls without mortar by hand 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. Through exercise and ganja he went from "extreme risk for a relapse" to "symptom free."

But ya, weed triggers a lot of things...
Heart attacks, seizures, mental breakdowns, all types of shit.
Strokes however, I personally need more evidence than "my friend was smoking with this guy when he had a stroke." Was this guy a tobacco user? Did he follow a healthy diet? What other drugs was he a fan of? A history of benzos or meth can especially increase your risks. I've seen kids on tour have strokes in their 20's due to all the fucking drug use.

Oh and your hose story, ya thats a major fuck up, but as an ex-landscaper I've seem plenty worse in the back yards of right wing christians. People don't look out their back doors, they're fucking ignorant to anything that's not the TV, computer or fridge.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Here is another news article linking marijuana to stroke as well as heart attack. Obviously, a completely healthy person is not going to have a stroke from smoking a blunt, but the fact that he lost consciousness within seconds of taking a hit is a pretty clear indication that there was a relationship between the the drug and his stroke. Again, common sense.
Marijuana may up heart attack, stroke risk: study | Reuters

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Interesting article, although it did seem to relate to extremely heavy users. I've been smoking for 15+ years now and I think that the most I've ever smoked on a regular basis was 10 joints a day, and that was back in the stoned as shit teenaged weed dealer days. I honestly don't know where they found people smoking 350 joints a week. Even in mendo or humboldt I've never seen someone smoke that much.

They also point out in the article that there's no actual evidence showing higher rates of heart attacks or strokes in marijuana users. Although, given that many marijuana users also smoke, drink and eat large amounts unhealthy food, I can see how that would be pretty hard prove.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
T

One of my friends is a grower and I always looked to her as an example of responsible drug use, wishing I could be as disciplined, since she has a great job, nice house, etc. Well, last time I went to visit her she told me that there had been a hose on in her front yard for 3 or 4 months without her noticing. One day she was babysitting and the infant she was watching crawled over the area that had been soaked in water. A sinkhole was instantly created and the child plunged about 6 feet down into the ground! My friend had to call someone over to jump into the hole and retrieve the infant!!! So, there are risks that come with daily use of any mind altering substance. It doesn't necessarily mean you need to quit those drugs entirely but let's be realistic at the same time.

Thats' called "REALLY FUCKING STUPID". No matter how much weed you smoke you would still notice that. Ther's isssues with her deeper than getting stoned, I tell you that

outskirts

Reaction score
The main point I was making is that there are doctors with extensive scientific training who are promoting ideas that are not just false, they directly endanger the lives of those patients under their care. What your average young and healthy, or not so healthy, pot smoker does isn't really any of my business unless they want to tell me about it. I was also speaking from experience because of having done dumb stuff like eating too much pot food and getting lost two blocks from my house. My dog actually had to bring me home because I had no idea where I was. That story is beyond the embarrassed face so I'm not even going to include it.

I don't have that much trust in doctors... bad experiences in general.

Two blocks from your house... WOW... how much did you eat? I always preplan how much will be consumed, but yeah
you gotta be careful when eating the stuff, especially with the way I prepare it.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Thats' called "REALLY FUCKING STUPID". No matter how much weed you smoke you would still notice that. Ther's isssues with her deeper than getting stoned, I tell you that
Actually, she is not a stupid person at all. There are plenty of intelligent people who have extreme problems with organization and problems in general. But yes, people who smoke weed every single day do tend to have fairly significant issues.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
I don't have that much trust in doctors... bad experiences in general.

Two blocks from your house... WOW... how much did you eat?.

probably not even all that much compared to a "normal" dose. It's always affected me in ways that it doesn't for other people. For example, the hallucinogenic effect is very noticeable. That's just one more reason not to do it that much, I suppose.
And I share your sentiment about doctors completely!

outskirts

Reaction score
And if you are able to effortlessly use with moderation, then I am jealous. More power to you! :)
Heavy use just wrecks havoc on my libido and kills my motivation to do anything. However ocassional use that's a different story.
There's been many a night that I've had either a wild time in bed or started a project from an enlightening idea.
If I smoked every day, or even every week, I'd be sitting around just watching TV and not getting laid... Fuck that! lol
I have good motivation for my moderation.

outskirts

Reaction score
I almost had a weed induced heart attack tonight.
I dropped an unfinished dish of dark chocolate chipotle coffee brownies on the floor.
That will give any stoner a heart attack!

Reactions: Zonkers

venusinpisces

Reaction score
I almost had a weed induced heart attack tonight.
I dropped an unfinished dish of dark chocolate chipotle coffee brownies on the floor.
That will give any stoner a heart attack!
I think that would probably give me a heart attack, too, if the floor was dirty! :)

venusinpisces

Reaction score
They also point out in the article that there's no actual evidence showing higher rates of heart attacks or strokes in marijuana users. Although, given that many marijuana users also smoke, drink and eat large amounts unhealthy food, I can see how that would be pretty hard prove.
Basically, both strokes and heart attacks occur because of a blockage in the circulatory system. Any increase in heart rate can will also increase the stress on already impaired blood vessels, since the force of blood has a greater impact and there is a higher likelihood of arterial rupture and similar problems. This is why doctors recommend that patients with heart disease monitor their heart rate during exercise, to prevent a heart attack from occurring. Any substance that increases the heart rate suddenly can cause problems. This idea is a very basic part of understanding human physiology. Researchers frequently use unnecessarily large amounts of a substance to demonstrate a hypothesis. However, the same principle would remain true even with smaller amounts.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads