Making Instruments

tree hopper

Reaction score
ive made a few instruments based on ideas i found off of Sponsored Listings
should check it out if ya havent. all sorts of stuff on there.

tree hopper

Reaction score

Unslap

Reaction score
I tried making a shakuhachi flute out of bamboo, and found out that tuning is pretty difficult because the bamboo varies so much in thickness. So I made one out of PVC. I used the instructions here:
How to make a PVC Shakuhachi
It sounds good.
PVC is real cheap, and the flute is travel-proof if you cover the head with a sock.

Two downsides: it only plays in the oriental "pentatonic" scale, and it's somewhat hard to get a sound out of it at first.

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
Step 1. Grab your empty 2 liter bottle.
Step 2. Remove cap.
Step 3. Place to lips, keeping ridge of opening level to the ground.
Step 4. Blow.

Optionally, have a friend repeat, but partly filled with fluid, or have one of your own.

You get better sound if you hold onto the hard plastic vs. the soft.

I have an idea for a little amplified electronic touch ribbon violin-type instrument that wouldn't be too hard to build if you have some soldering skills. Could run off of one or two 12v batteries.

I'll post details when I get around to building it, which I think this thread might've inspired me to finally do.

grab any bottle and a plastic bag. cut the bottom off of the bag and pull off a piece of plastic. remove the cap and the little ring. stretch the plactic over the mouth of the bottle and replace the ring to secure it. Experiment with hum/blowing accross it. DIY KAZOO STRAIGHT OUT THE TRASH!!!

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
Tin Can Banjos, fiddles, etc!

looks amazing i wish i could play
i used to play the violin but now i dont.
looks like fun making and playing them

Sc0ut

Reaction score

i actually have one of these that i made out of a camp fuel can. i call it a canjo, or cantar cause it use an actual guitar neck and a banjo bridge

Sc0ut

Reaction score

^ thats very similar to what i did except i used the tail-piece from an old arch top instead of a fork and i reinforced the can with some wood

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score

Looks like the 'Canjo' on the you tube vid has a fork for the bottom sting holders ! Cooooool !

The folks at Tincanbanjo.com are based in the SF bay area, I will look into any free
workshops & post here.

acrata4ever

Reaction score
heres some of my builds: http://www.livebluesworld.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=0ie4jftzvgocf i dont use any real parts except the strap pins which i found. i make string and tuners. im getting out of the cigar box thing because of death threats from nazis, and going back into extinct indian folk instruments and north african basses. if anyone needs help in a build let me know. i got my 3 string guitar down to 27" (three spans) long fits in a suitcase and is the same scale as a fender mustang (not a uke).

D

Deleted member 20

I have a bunch of these cheap made in china wooden Train whistles with a acrylic painted train stamped on but easily carved & or personalized. I bought a whole shitload & use them for trades.

images

I was online & came across a few DIY how to videos to make your own.

Here is a funny link that I get a kick out of of a guy blowing one. I origionally thought this was a comedy of sorts but think this guy is for real. Obvious 45 year old foamer who lives in his mothers basement, watching train robbery westerns, researching steam engine locomotives , when hes not usig that ociliscope to tweak his Cb radios. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KC3qC_PdWY LMFAO, I am sick.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads