looking for advice, tips,

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been seriously considering drifting for the past few months. I am getting sick of the capitalist system of wage slavery, consumerism, and the vile state the human race has turned into. I seek something more liberating. It seems soon I will be hitting the road. A little background on my situation, if it will help any. Almost 20, love playing music, vegan, have booksmarts but little chance of future due to previous criminal record. No felonies, but quite a few misdemeanors. Home life isnt the best, racist, general asshole of a stepdad who believes his way is the only way, mom who cant get out of that situation due to finances, and younger brother who blindly follows my stepdad. Working the 6 to 5ish at local landscaping company near Raleigh the past couple weeks, first job I have had in a while, its gonna finish up in the next week or so. Lookin at prolly 300 dollars to spend on supplies needed to hit the road. I would like to travel, see new places, and find something to help animals or at least get out of this fucked society. Does anyone have any advice or tips on starting out drifting/hitchin? Im thinking about heading towards Cali first, then who knows where. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Peace,

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
EQUIPMENT:
- Sleeping bag. Keep it warm, keep it light.
- Multi-tool or utility knife. You'll need it. Trust me.
- Anti-bacterial toothpaste and a toothbrush.
- Can/bottle opener (see: multi-tool)
- Permanent marker (your best friend)
- Fresh socks and underwear
- Whiskey (may substitute for rum in dire circumstances)

I've lived off of nothing in my pack but these seven things for months at a time. Bare essentials, right there. Otherwise, check out the "What To Pack" thread and just browse STP. You'll find what you need. Best of luck!

N

NickCofphee

I still don't get why you can't go to college and get a degree if you wanted that. I mean, that doesn't affect getting scholarships, doesn't affect getting FAFSA, doesn't affect getting a job (not too much) to make money to get in, and doesn't affect getting accepted!

I have misdemeanors, a felony/strike, I'm in school. Why can't you?

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
true Nick. I think im just gonna head out though. time is gettin short living where I am now, and jobs are scarce where I am at. I have been thinkin about travelling for a while now, and there would be different opportunites across the country that I would miss if im here, still trying to get jobs. Im thinking about heading south first, maybe see some people in Florida, then goin whereever.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I encourage new travelers. everyone should try it at least once in their life. here's some basic links:

http://squattheplanet.com/getting-there/equipment-gear/3870-what-pack.html

Staying Healthy - Squat the Planet Forums

know your gear and make sure to get a pack your comfortable with...link #1 will help with that. When on the road if your not careful you can get sick, grow mold, and get bugs. link #2 willhelp with that. my only advise is to read as much as you can, then if you have any more questions(that arent already answered) to post about it. Welcome to STP.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads