Let's talk about doing a real StP gathering :) | Squat the Planet

Let's talk about doing a real StP gathering :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, so considering that I'm going to be 'settled down' for the next year or so, I was thinking about what I can do for StP in the meantime, and it seems to make sense to do a real social gathering of sorts. I was thinking of something possibly in Portland during the summer, or Slab City in the winter. If we started planning now, there's no reason we can't get word around for it long beforehand, thus ensuring a pretty huge turnout.

I'd really like it to be a thing where there's workshops and bands, so someone would have to be a main organizing figure, which I'm not against at all, but it would be nice to have some help :p

Anyways, I was just thinking I should post this and get some people thinking about it, maybe toss around some ideas. Does anyone have ideas for workshops or bands that could play?

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
hmm..
i can drive.
depending on when it happens, may be able to help with fuel..

how many would you be expecting?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Slab city sounds cool (as long as that poopy guy isn't there) :)

who's the poopy guy?

how many would you be expecting?

not sure, we haven't had a gathering since 2009, but about 20 people showed up to that one. i mean, ideally, i'd like to see at least 50, but i'd be more excited if it was 100 or more.

Reactions: eske silver

Traveler

Reaction score
Slab city during the winter sounds like a great idea. That would give me time to get some work in this summer/fall.

Reactions: eske silver

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Matt

slabcity.org is a scam thread. I'm thinking that's the guy always talking about poopy :)
oh yeah! :p
yes, yes and yes. if I really bust myself this summer I might be able to get to the states this winter as this sounds like it would be a blast. :p
it would be fuckin rad to finally see you over here!

D

Deleted member 20

I actually have been thinking of doing an East Coast gathering in Portland Maine. Actually Peaks Island (Battery Steele to be exact. There are some free spirited artists, anarchists, former travelers & musicians there as well as some yuppies & really wealthy types. The Battery Steele fort is a ww2 fortified gun enplacement overlooking the back shore. This place is where people have been partying for years, some have camped there & a traveler type gathering was held here in the past.

I have family on the island, know some locals & my brother has a house there. This site is on an island, bikes are the normal transportation although cars are allowed. Battery steele is public land that has some quack who thinks his land trust nonprofit owns it instead of just cleaning up the garbage left there. There is a diy skatepark located near by, a transfer station with lots of free scores as well as the common practice of free usuable items left curbside & many cheap/free yard sales. This place is a great micro society where as the locals provide businesses & services for wealthy tourists but yet themselves have a simple hearty Maine type self reliance & routinely reuse/recycle the waste of the wealthy but also redistribute free items. The profit types spend for consumer type stuff that they want, but the rest of the island is frugal as fuck.

There is a store, a few (yuppie/hipster/wealthy restaraunts/bars) a library, a police/fire station with emt, a bunch of artist galleries, beaches (but remember the Atlantic is cold even in summer up in Maine. I can provide storage & logistical support for communal stuff like a bbq grill, access to fresh water, maybe a boat & local knowledge. Its a $7.70 ferry ride from Portland, Maine & free to get back to the mainland. Bikes cost $6.00 on the ferry but I can accumulate some communal bikes/skateboards to use around the Island. I am unsure if I hijacked this & should have created another thread but perhaps we could do 2 gatherings with a traveler race from the 2 Portlands in Maine & Oregon.

It would be cool to do something next july 4th, 2015.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Sounds good to me! Liking the East Coast - but west coast portland sounds good too. Would even bring the long blonde haired tattooed bf (hehe I'm a long blond haired tatted up female). I'm in!

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
I'm super down! I love get-to-gethers!
Keep me updated!

benjysirois

Professional knob twiddler and sound anarchist
Reaction score
I'd be down to get down for a gathering. Winter Slab City gathering sounds epic...I've been meaning to check that place out for quite a while now. :D

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
when is the gem show in az? i forget...

notOK

Reaction score
Portland-to-Portland race sounds Rad as all get out. A bit far out of a concept, since it's like herding cats just to get folks to gather, often enough.

Wintertime there's a fair decent amount of kids who boogie down the Ocala way, for Valentine's. So somewhere nearish to there, like Savannah or Nola or round up the Smoky Mountains way. But course I got my bias, everybody got their favorite parts of the States, and mine tends to be south of the Mason-Dixon.

Reactions: Rhudey

hobotrucker

Reaction score
I'm down. Workshops are a good idea. Paracord and rope knot - tying strikes me right off the bat. This is a must possessed skill for any traveler and not all of us vagabonds know the proper arrangements. If and when we get a concrete date set, I will try buying lots of good paracord in bulk to distribute freely amongst those that are in need.

Ross

Reaction score
I would love to make to some sort of gathering. If this happens in the winter then there is certainly a chance that I could make it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
unfortunately due to my school schedule, i wouldn't be available to do anything like this until after february.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads