Photos - Lets see those bikes! | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Photos Lets see those bikes!

Psylock1045

Reaction score
this is my beast...with tons of parts and tools all around her, lol. Work in progress, finally nearing completion.
image2.JPG
image3(1).JPG

Attachments

• image1(1).JPG
    image1(1).JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 428
Reactions: Doc Road

Doc Road

Reaction score

Doc Road

Reaction score
Haha yeah, im 6'3" too. My knees are shot. The dog cant run all day either its a lot of walking. Downhill is fucking awesome though. Scoop him up in my lap and coast. With.all the weight and momentum we can carry some inertia for a while. Passed the line of cars three times coasting while they hit lights for a solid half mile without pedaling. I also pull the rack off and ride bmx when im bored. Tricks for tips is fun as well
you got balls for days son! my respects on traveling bmx. I chose mountain bike for similar reasons,so i could hit trails,along the way. Am also ganna try hopping with it too. Im down sizing at moment for that ride north(Tex. to Co.)and possibly west coast too. Ride on brother!

Doc Road

Reaction score
This is the rig in all it's glory going up the one. Getting molested by my homies gatos. Before a fishing trip with new red wall nomad tires.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe
D

deleted user

here's the bike that I've been riding for about 7 years. I inherited it from my Nana after she died and it's the worst bike ever but I love it so much that I tour on it anyways. 3 gears, back pedal brake system (it's just what I'm used to!)

I attached that big basket to the back so all I have to do is toss my backpack and my sleeping gear in, bungee it down, and hit the road. I also put that basket on the front for water and random junk.

there's no reason I should still be riding this thing, especially long distance, but I do it anyways because I love the thing!

1438287918397-1102334331-jpg.24295.jpg

Attachments

• 1438287918397-1102334331.jpg
    1438287918397-1102334331.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 402
D

Deleted member 13433

wow... a three speed with big baskets !!
I had an English made 3 speed in the 1970s when growing up in Bay Ridge which had baskets on it for my crab traps, etc.... that was the best bike ever though the frame was a bit small.
Today, although I can't take pictures - I ride either a 95 Raliegh M-50 [which still throws the chain] or a late 70s Fuji 12 seed which I recently scored - 27 inch frame, 27 inch rims - a real nut cracker even for this 6ft 7in foo' as climbing on her's an adventure every time but she really fly' on those super skinny tyres.
Real nice pictures here - especially the chopper and the cat with the trailer set up, saw one of those in Stratford once a while back. Total respect.
Wonder how much that affects how the bike handles..... pulling a trailer set up like that.
A mate a to work - his girl - uses a trailer set up to pull her touring kayak via her bicycle so she don't have to drive.
If I could rig something to pull a big canoe..................................... man, I'd be set.

amor fati

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Doc Road

Reaction score
The nomad is great for traveling long distance but put to much weight on it and youll have problems (rated at 50 lb). Used it much live/squat in the bay area,overloaded it all the time and had the frame break where it meets the hitch witch is real easy to do.

• Useful
Reactions: amor fati and Dmac

Psylock1045

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This is my new baby. Omfg it rides SO smooth compared to my old bike. Leaving either Friday or Saturday this week for some last minute travel shenanigans before I hibernate for the winter.

amor fati

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
actually the nomad is rated to 100lbs according to their website. i found a used one on craigslist for a decent price so i got it. it has already had the hitch replaced. i don't really want to take 100lbs of gear with me anyway, so i think i'll be ok. now i just need to sew on some weatherproof camo fabric to cover that stupid yellow!!

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Was going to post this in another thread, but it felt too much like dragging out an irrelevent topic.

IMG_20151203_155637.jpg

Here is the setup I'm running with now, only I've sold the waterproof panniers and made some canvas ones instead so I can downsize easier for hitching, and eventually, when I'm in a country with real trains again, freight hopping.

The trailer folds down into a large shopping bag size, and with everything all packed up(takes 10 minutes or less), I can carry all my gear on my back and with my hands, with the bike folded.

This is the living space in unpacks into.
IMG_20160120_192729.jpg

Pretty sure I already posted the bike somewhere on STP, but I've swapped stuff around a lot since. It's a Bike Friday Pocket Llama.

Attachments

• IMG_20160120_192729.jpg
    IMG_20160120_192729.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 351

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
IMG_20160510_1448450_rewind.jpg
IMG_20160510_1449021_rewind.jpg
dahon speed uno! just got this off Craigslist for $300. A seriously sweet deal. Has a SRAM automatix hub on the back that has two internal speeds, automatically shifting to the faster one at 10mph! very neat setup. folds down to a surprisingly small size. The guy also put a nice front brake on it so on massive descents you don't sweat your coaster brake to high heat.

About to leave on it from MA. My only real reservation is that I feel like the two speed limits me to flat and flattish territory. But aside from hilly zones and mountainous climbs, I can basically go anywhere from the inner city to the wilderness, by pedal, or by folding it down and hitching or hopping freight or getting in a boat. Will be good for international travel too. This time it'll be cool, because after a short hitch up the Berkshires, I cruise down to albany and stay on the erie canal trail and along the great lakes and it is flat enough all the way to the great divide. (Prob will go via NE)

Stoked!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Pedal to the Metal

Pedal To The Metal
Reaction score
I've been travelling via bicycle, USA, Canada and Mexico for 16+ months with this set up. The bike was one that I used to race in the mid 90's, has been all over the world, custom geometry, front and rear lkck out suspension. Burley Nomad trailer was bought in NM in July 2016 (they suck. Get a B.O.B trailer instead). Approx 9000 miles cycled. Only 2 incidents where I have had to hitch just short distances. Have cycled Atlantic, Gulf, and Pacific coast plus 4 corners, Rockies, Canadian Rockies and greater NW.
IMG_20160920_174438103_HDR.jpg

wildwerden

Reaction score
14590348_1763434037207101_1907620789453283998_n.jpg

I've been slowly piecing this bike over three years. Last year, I scored a really cheap Surly Long Haul Trucker off Craigslist. Before that I was using an aluminum bike I found at a swap meet. Snatched the rear black Ortileb panniers for $50 off CL. Front red Arkel panniers were under a pile of clothes at a commune farm, free! I invested in a Brooks saddle to save my ass a little. Patience guys! It goes a long ways.

Edited to add that I still am figuring out how to include my pup. A milk crate resting ontop my rear rack works decent but I think a little trailer behind me would be so much better.
14731163_1763434007207104_2034554890935685101_n.jpg

Reactions: todd and Koala
D

Deleted member 2626

trailers are pretty sweet. My dog weighs a hefty close to 70. . . .so just him in there is quite diffulcult. and since when I am home I need to get around for whatever work gigs or labor and such I am gonna spend a couple hundred on an engine. There just seems to be no way I could haul my fella and say even just 3O pounds of gear. anyway a trailer is pretty good. Mine is super light, I can leave him in it when in a building and its yellow so stands out well. It tracks great, has to 2O inch inflatable tires and has a little storage in rear. The thing has two flaps on front that velcro to close it, netting and clear plastic. Cost me a hundred old bastard wouldnt take 8O but updated wikes are pretty damn pricey. I may look into modifiying it though to a covering I make

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads