Jim Stobe has passed (2 Viewers)

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Northern Arizona
Website
www.youtube.com
No fucking way. He like JUST posted another video a few days ago. This really sucks. I wanted to meet this guy, too. Shit

RIP Stobe. May you be able to play the great piano in the sky.

Anyone have any links to an article or anything, yet?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!
P

Popsicle

I deleted myself
Beat it out girl tell em again . Even the best can fall . Your post is epic ! The oh I ride trains to every town and hassle all the citizens of that town . What the fuck is a oogle ? I mean shit these kids are gonna fill up the obituary sections quick . I'm sorry if my truth seems brash but fuck we are losing another era of good people who don't live by the code .

Bad mood today ! Gotta relax tonight in some other town .

More on this from Mark Nichols (shoestring) fb post - he's ok btw - should have lost 4 fingers but 6 operations later and now skin grafts he lost two but now maybe three but with a lot more time in hospital from his train fall.

I'd like to take this moment to ask that you pay very close attention to this post and please just open your mind and truly absorb what I have to say.........
Since the train claimed two and now maybe three of my fingers (my left hand middle finger may now have to be amputated because of a new infection) ........ then we have the kid near Truckee, California, who fell off a well car then Stobe the Hobo who was walking on a railroad bridge when an Amtrak train came and he didn't have enough room to safely squeeze up against the bridge's side, thus Amtrak train caught his pack he was wearing and drug him to death.....and the only way he was identified was through his Coast Guard records.
These trains are not toys, nor is this a kids playground! The life we real authentic hobos live is a straight up unforgiving one! You have all sorts of living and unliving threats 100% of the time......24/7/365!

:( RIP

Dmac

Wanderer
Current Location
outside omaha
Still no link to a story in the news? IF it happened there is a story somewhere, so where is it?

DrewSTNY

Wayfarer
Current Location
Gang Mills, NY
Still no link to a story in the news? IF it happened there is a story somewhere, so where is it?
Whatever information has come out is from the Facebook page dedicated to his memory now. Sounds like most of it is from family and friends at this point. Since it didn't interrupt train service, I doubt the news will carry the story.

Psylock1045

Current Location
Baltimore, MD
I'm beside myself over this. It happened SO close to where I live...I wanted to meet him and maybe even ride with him one day. Does anyone know exactly WHERE it happened? I'd like to make a little memorial if possible. I can't believe it...T_T

Current Location
York, PA
Fuck me, dude. He was my absolute favorite. My respect for him was above and beyond. His piano arrangments were always fucking awesome as well.

Rest In Peace Stobe. You will be missed.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
Current Location
EITHER: 1) on thin ice OR: 2) in hot water
I just learned of him when he signed up here this summer. I took the bait and watched his videos - he had a uniquely personal take on whatever caught his attention; I enjoyed his stuff enough to throw some $ his way on patreon. After binge-watching most of it, I was waiting for a buildup of more material. He had pretty good insight into vagabondage, human foibles, etc. I’m stunned and saddened. He put it out there for what it was worth and ultimately wrote his own cautionary tale, bless his heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ironweed

Pilgrim
Current Location
Ogden, UT
Is hard to lose a fellow road brother. You can never be too safe on the rails, and even then, the westbound still might pull up to snatch you to the next division. Be careful out there everybody.

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Spun Junction CO
My way of honoring his memory is to wear it.

https://www.logosoftwear.com/mySavedDesign.php?c=d6a169177b2f6adc273b8155f5bcb962

It takes time for the company to create the shirt and get it ready, but it's worth it. You can go there anytime and order it!
I just checked this site out. bad ass idea, but expensive. I have some screen printing friends ( I make and sell tie dye clothes) I can most likely get this price reduced to $15.00 before shipping and you will be supporting a non inc. company. I'm going to make a call and re-poste.

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Spun Junction CO
I just checked this site out. bad ass idea, but expensive. I have some screen printing friends ( I make and sell tie dye clothes) I can most likely get this price reduced to $15.00 before shipping and you will be supporting a non inc. company. I'm going to make a call and re-poste.
just got off messenger with Due West Press in Hailey ID, they said they are not doing well enough business wise to fill any shirt orders... witch makes no sense to me, why turn down money if having a hard time making money? I tried guys...

A

AlwaysLost

I deleted myself
damn I spent days of my life living vicariously through this guy...RIP I'll drink a few miller high lifes in his honor even though it tastes like fermented cowdung.

Freerange

Lurker
Current Location
Salem Oregon
Story is he got caught on a trestle in Baltimore and the Amtrak came in hot. He got off the tracks and squeezed himself as far as he could but his pack somehow got snagged by the train and pulled him in with it. Service was not interruted because they didn' find him until the next morning. His folks are having a private service for close friends and family in a few days but they are planning a large celebration of life in January for fellow riders, pals, and fans of his video adventures.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm no where like some insider... I bought a few kracken today...

Celebrate his life. Tough way to go. All the best to Stobe and those who knew/cared for him.

Peace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Finally printed up physical copies of my hitchin' story! Cover art by @spiffypairofspoons on instagram. I added some doodles and stuff to help with formatting, and I'll be carrying copies of these when my band goes on tour in the spring!

I can busk on the way, I usually let people staple their money to me with a staple gun, spit fire or perform other masochistic acts for money.
The guide told me to type my interests and shit here, help people get to know me, I made this so i could get help catching a Freight Train to Seattle and get there by the 20th of December, 2019, never hopped a train before, thought it'd be a fun thing to do. I'm tryna get to more punk shows. Actually pretty straight edge, keep my habits to shows and campfires.
lmfao!!! im figuring this desktop thing out way slow... totally different than a mobile. this site makes way more sens to navigate on a desk top... had no clue this was going to pop up on the main lmfao!!!! it does!!! always wonderd why ppl seen my shit that didnt fallow me!!!! im getting it... slowly...
anybody ride form grand junction co to slc lately? whats the ride like rn?
A Jack-of-all-trades, and a master at being MEDIOCRE
gkyuguhilhhjkbkjgyvhgcdtrs56t7y89u0ipklnbhrtyujnutrefr7yjnkihw tov hhtol
roughdraft wrote on Hobo richard's profile.
nice to have you, welcome to the forum
Matt Derrick wrote on BlowUpTrains's profile.
Hey man, where ya been?