1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Stobe has passed

Discussion in 'Obituaries' started by Art101, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Hazardoussix6six

Hazardoussix6six Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Pizza Pie or Die
    Address:
    Cincinnati, OH, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +242 / -2
  2. MooSlim420

MooSlim420 is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Reading, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    Why isn't anyone asking where's the news story on this and why does his obituary say he passed in Denver Co. If he passed in baltimore?

3. highwayman

highwayman Emperor of the North Pole
    Lifetime Supporter

Achievements:
    Recovering Alcoholic/Catholic Worker/Roadie
    Address:
    New Bedford, MA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +1,976 / -4
    I had never heard of this dude before he caught westbound & this obit was posted on STP. Originally I scanned his vids & was not initially overly impressed. I rarely watch YT vids about riding trains. Here, he is a super nice, soft spoken & suburban railfan who actually hops trains while drinking beers & living the dream. Of course this could be a warning to any number of his 10k+ fans online as to the dangers of riding trains. If he or someone new approached me on STP today; I probably would discourage him in an obligatory fashion & share some basic info with him if he asked. His gear seems to always be falling apart yet his booze supplies never run out?

I have since watched a few of his videos in length; i dig the piano music & am glad that he went out doing what he loved. The sad music almost feels like a self fulfilling prophecy at times.

I will admit that he & his videos have grown on me with his departure. RIP Stobe, Semper Fi

To the many who dream about hopping trains while watching his videos who forget that people get hurt & die on trains. This news is a solemn reminder.

Ride Solo/Ride Sober!

• Like Like x 2
    #43 highwayman, Nov 16, 2017 at 3:02 PM
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 4:06 PM
  4. OP
    OP
    Art101

Art101 Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    Cook
    Address:
    Cheyenne, WY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +731 / -9
    Sent a cold one out in memorial. 20171111_201404.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Dmac

Dmac Completely Addicted

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    this and that
    Address:
    Omaha, NE, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +768 / -10
    @MooSlim420 I have asked the same thing. Nobody can show a link to a news article about it. Only second hand reports from people claiming to have heard about it happening. Strange

6. run998rs

run998rs is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Orlando, Florida, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
  7. run998rs

run998rs is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Orlando, Florida, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    I’m forever thankful to have had the chance to chill and and post up the man himself a few times. Hearty peeps.

8. JayHobo

JayHobo Just signed up

Achievements:
    Address:
    Olympia, WA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    Hello,
    If anyone in the Baltimore area would like to pay their respects at the site there is information at: http://ssoih.com/stobe.html
    It's sad the media couldn't cover any of this. The hobo community has been very gracious sharing memories and stories of Stobe. Stay strong.
    Rest in peace Stobe

• Like Like x 2