Is white people stretching their ears cultural appropriation? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Is white people stretching their ears cultural appropriation?

MFB

Reaction score
I embrace it at this point

I have buddhas in my room
my hand tattooed is polynesian
I like burning sage
and I adopted the 'asian squat' to poop.

For me, I just figured "ya know, white people dont know everything"

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

MFB

Reaction score
And idiocy is global

• Haha

MFB

Reaction score
All my favorite STPers right in a row!

Hi!

• Haha

MFB

Reaction score

MFB

Reaction score
I know you're trying to be clever but the reality is people bind you with their cultural assumptions regardless based strictly on the way you present without any exchange of words

Oh, shit, sorry, I thought we were being silly.
I would love to discuss this seriously.

Agreed. Sadly.
It's the main reason I've always stayed clean cut. When I was young, rides have asked me if I am military.
Aesthetics has never been important to me, so I could give fudge how I look, but knew I would be less noticeable in whatever highjinx I was trying to pull if I stayed fresh and clean.
I never got the crusty look. Your asking for people to expect you to be a fuck up.
Its like being a drug dealer and rollin around in a lexus with blacked out windows!

• Useful
D

Deleted member 24782

Crust
Oh, shit, sorry, I thought we were being silly.
I would love to discuss this seriously.

Agreed. Sadly.
It's the main reason I've always stayed clean cut. When I was young, rides have asked me if I am military.
Aesthetics has never been important to me, so I could give fudge how I look, but knew I would be less noticeable in whatever highjinx I was trying to pull if I stayed fresh and clean.
I never got the crusty look. Your asking for people to expect you to be a fuck up.
Its like being a drug dealer and rollin around in a lexus with blacked out windows!

Crust is a like a fashion/political statement whereas clean cut is....like a survival tactic. Why WOULDNT you wanted to be treated with more respect when your traveling.

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, this is just basic "Crime 101" shit, like "One crime at a time": "Don't look like a fucking criminal."

I used to be a funny-looking punk-rock kid, with punk-rock hair, and punk-rock clothes. Then i got more stealth. The way i dress has been described as "punk-rock Amish": very plain, and mostly black. But only the very discerning might figure out the punk-rock part.

Bushpig

Reaction score
White people have been stealing from black people for ages. Way before they began stretching their earlobes.

People who care what other people look like to to fucking chill out though. Live and let live. It can be shitty sometimes, but as long as nobody is being hurt, I don't give a shit.

If anybody white people are worried about borrowing from other cultures, Bushpig said it's okay. I'm half black, so you'll need at least another mulatto to get a full brother's permission though.

Attachments

• tumblr_oooqqkov9j1w2lnrlo1_400.png
    tumblr_oooqqkov9j1w2lnrlo1_400.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 249
D

Deleted member 24782

White people have been stealing from black people for ages. Way before they began stretching their earlobes.

People who care what other people look like to to fucking chill out though. Live and let live. It can be shitty sometimes, but as long as nobody is being hurt, I don't give a shit.

If anybody white people are worried about borrowing from other cultures, Bushpig said it's okay. I'm half black, so you'll need at least another mulatto to get a full brother's permission though.

• Haha
Reactions: Bushpig

AbuQittun

Reaction score
Yeah I mean the headdress costume is not a subtle example.

A less obvious one could be all the non-native people around the U.S. burning white sage for spiritual practices. This plant that is sacred to native people in the SW gets used willy-nilly by folks that don't have any respect or understanding for the ecological or cultural context in which these plants come from. Fine if you don't believe in the sacred or spiritual, in which case this example doesn't apply to you, but obviously the non-native people who are burning sage for "cleansing" have some belief in the spirituality of it. Yet how many of those people care to think about what the effects of their consumption actually is? How many have considered talking to a native person to see how they feel about it? Meanwhile the over harvesting of white sage to meet the demand is having a huge impact on their population. Just another example of those who are privileged/have the power continue taking what benefits them without having to give a shit about the marginalized group that they are taking from. And the native people who have tended these plants for thousands of years continue to fight back against the taker colonist mindset with so little support.

ok doodz i gotta go i'm super late for yoga and i'm not gonna have time to get my double espresso latte

ommmmmmmmmmmm

I suppose the follow up question would be, what does yoga mean to you? Just fancy stretches to get and stay in shape? A practice borrowed from a land far far away, which is so super exciting because its foreign? Or because you wish to attain nirvana, whatever that means? I agree, intentions are everything.

People are going to be determined to not see the difference. Most people aren't drinking coffee pretending to be the sufi mystics that used it to be up all night in remembrance of their God. They aren't pretending to be interested in the spirituality aspects of it. This is cultural exchange. The person growing sage for "purification" (a term used quite meaninglessly for some doing it), does so in a way that is meant to mimic spiritual systems they neither know nor care about, which is sort of the reason the term "cultural appropriation" came about.

Reactions: marymemarryme

DreadForest

Reaction score
I'm a white dread. I've worn dreads for quite a few years, and the only people who ever come at me about cultural appropriation are white people looking to be mad. I don't even get side eye from Rastas, maybe because I don't get defensive when people ask me about them. I keep my dreads clean and tidy because that's respectful to everyone else who shares the style, and because really, who wants an itchy scalp?

I go out into the world doing my best to be respectful and helpful to everyone I meet. If I happen to give someone the idea that all people with dreads are kind because maybe I'm the only one they've ever met, seems to me that's a good thing. Appropriate that!

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
I'm a white dread. I've worn dreads for quite a few years, and the only people who ever come at me about cultural appropriation are white people looking to be mad. I don't even get side eye from Rastas, maybe because I don't get defensive when people ask me about them. I keep my dreads clean and tidy because that's respectful to everyone else who shares the style, and because really, who wants an itchy scalp?

I go out into the world doing my best to be respectful and helpful to everyone I meet. If I happen to give someone the idea that all people with dreads are kind because maybe I'm the only one they've ever met, seems to me that's a good thing. Appropriate that!

I have dreads too and just wanted to mention, the reason behind the rasta wearing of locks. It comes from the biblical character Samson who was an isrealite and who's parents took a nazarite vow on his behalf. He is said to have had seven locks on his head which the rastas believe to be the first mention of dreads. Samson was Egyptian.

I haven't seen too many egyptian rastas so who's appropriating who?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads