If you were the CEO of a backpacking company... | Squat the Planet

If you were the CEO of a backpacking company...

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
I have looked all over for a place to dicuss backpacks, and found none. So this thread will be for what you'd really like to see built into a backpack that would help ease the strain on the back or what would make a nice addition on a pack from your experiences. What would you add onto a backpack if you were the CEO of a major backpacking company or as a "top-of-the-line" designer.....

1.) Me?.......(Build pockets that extend or colapse to meet the demand of what you're placing into the pockets)!.....I have had certain sized things inside poskets with leftover space inside the pockets afterwards, but not enough room for an additional item in that space, so that extra space being "unuesed" gets in the way!.......so adding on pockets that colapse or extend would be excellent I believe!.

stove

Reaction score
I do a fair amount of trekking around, and I have been in contact with a lot of custom gear manufacturers. It's staggering how much it costs to custom-make a pack (materials mostly). That being said, I'm a huge fan of the old BD TrashCan. Big, Tough, mostly waterproof, indestructible. What more could you want?

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, I guess the best pack I ever owned was a "Jansport". But within seven weeks, "ALL" the zippers busted! (I, at that time, did'nt realize that most of their items have a warranty, and actually could have had it replaced free! Did not know though, so I tossed that baby! lol!
It was a 5,150 ci pack too. (Cost me $138.00), not too bad if it'd had lasted longer I guess.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
More outside pockets to keep things organized. Definitely stronger zippers, I ALWAYS bust mine. Maybe built-in compression sacks? I tend to have problems more with bulk than weight. It's much easier to carry something that's pressed closer towards your back than something sticking out behind you.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I want a pack that shouves my sleeping bag in it's self lol and i think that it would be cool to have more pockets of different sizes. even a tiny one for jewelry or medication. oooooo! and straps that are realy comfy but durable.

Geoff

Reaction score
a traveling pack combined with a guitar pack. with at least some sort of internal frame and padding for the guitar. my dream pack. as soon as i get a guitar pack though i'll try to make that dream a reality. i'll let you guys know how that goes as soon as i get started on it.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
A guitar pack would be amazing. I've never traveled with a guitar because it's such a pain in the ass, it would be amazing to have something like that so I could busk.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I'd probably want a bunch of pockets on the shoulder straps, sort of like a bandolier, but more normal looking.

Jazz

Reaction score
Compartments in the main body, so instead of having to take everything out to get to that one thing that just happens to be on the very bottom (because of course), you can lay it duffle bag style and pack things in separate compartments :)

travelin

Reaction score
a pack that is sort of modular where you can unzip it and lay it out flat and have all your stuff in different zippered compartments. so rather than dropping pack and rummaging through big compartment everything will be in its own zippered compartment.

this, plus plenty of outside zippered pockets and plenty of webbing to hold things and loops and hangers to secure stuff.

the military uses medical instrument bags much like I describe but they are shoulder bags and not backpacks.

not sure if im describing what im seeing in my mind...

Reactions: Strider

DesertRat

Reaction score
a pack that is sort of modular where you can unzip it and lay it out flat and have all your stuff in different zippered compartments. so rather than dropping pack and rummaging through big compartment everything will be in its own zippered compartment.

this, plus plenty of outside zippered pockets and plenty of webbing to hold things and loops and hangers to secure stuff.

the military uses medical instrument bags much like I describe but they are shoulder bags and not backpacks.

not sure if im describing what im seeing in my mind...

I see exactly what you're describing.

Military medical instrument bag configuration, but expanded and as a backpack. A few more pockets outside for easy access, with a couple of MOLLE points and/or D rings for exterior attachment.

Possibly internal frame, and a padded waist belt for load distribution. Maybe a small zipper pocket on each side of the belt clasp for documents/smokes/etc.

I'm thinking adding in elastic cord (adjustable) on top (think of skateboarding backpacks), and an attachment point on the bottom for a couple of canvas straps for a sleeping bag or what-have-you.

Gonna have to start sketching this out.

Yes, I know this is a necrothread, but that's okay. I like to design, create, and build, and this has inspired me.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
For the modular fans, they should look at the mystery ranch crew cab for ideas, it's very pricy, but a really well done concept.

Reactions: Mankini

Charlie Brown

Reaction score
A series of small pockets along the hip and shoulder straps. The pack I have now was kicked down to me and is the best I've ever owned. It's made by some European company, Active Leisure. It's got great compression sack pockets on the side built in, awesome for cramming crap I acquire into.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads