if fer some reson you would ever want to go to FL

drun_ken

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
there is an awsome co-op farm in between jax and gainesvile (closer to gainesville) in a shit hole little town called waldo...its a pecan farm called circle a ranch...they are really good people, and worth checking out...you can get more info on it from the Civic Meida Center in gainesville

Bullet

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the Anarchist commune. That place is rad. I dropped off a friend there for their summer work camp, and also found a travel buddy there. I didn't get to stay there more than overnight, but it seemed really kick ass. It's like 17 miles from Gainesville where they have a great punk venue.

M

Mouse

I happen to really like florida.

but of course my alcy aunt lives near gainesville and keeps me well fed and damn drunk when I visit. so that may make me a bit biased.

drun_ken

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Is there a website of any kind for the place? Or some sort of e-mail/phone number to contact them? Or failing that, are they okay with people just dropping by, and if so whats the address?

if ya end up in g-ville the civic media center(a not fer profit libary) or wayward concial(a not for profit music strore)can point ya in the right direction...hell let me know yer in town and ill take ya out there....they have werk camp several times a year...the way it werks is ya do werk camp(room and board while ya werk) and they pay ya with room and board when there isn't werk camp...so ya werk ta earn sittin around time....only problem...its in FL....

hassysmacker

Reaction score
no drun_ken i don't think so...

i've been told i have one of those faces though!

but anyway, yeah for the heads up, becausre strangely enough i plan on being in shitty florida sometime this winter, as i have a friend whose relatively sick who lives there, so as much as i hate the state I gotta go there! so i figure may as well find
whatever cool things i can while im there.

M

Mouse

does the A-ranch still do the April Fools Day Fest? thingy.

that's how I ended up there. I got scooped up by some g'villians and taken to the ranch and ended up parting for 3 days and having a great time. got some cool pictures of those days :)

nuckfumbertheory

Reaction score
Hassysmaker looks like someone I know too. but I never thought he had one of those faces.

I would like more info on this. I'm looking to head south for the winter and may really enjoy this sort of outfit.

nuckfumbertheory

Reaction score
I think I've been to that bookstore though. When I was drifting around last fall / winter I went into a free map making / using class of some sorts seemed like a pretty cool place but I was only in town for a short bit.

M

Mouse

the cmc is chill. I still miss the pirate porch :( when I was there last there was a note saying "this place is no longer safe, find somewhere else to drink" made me very bummed.

drun_ken

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
they moved...so no more porch at all...i miss that porch....the new place is an awesome space tho....its in the old art studio next to the firehouse on main next to st franciss...if ya remember g-ville at all...the bar mothers ate up the old cmc space...

Beer Mortal

Reaction score
The only thing to do in Florida is leave.

I agree with this completely.
I think i have been here way too long and all the towns are looking the same and filled with the same boring,humid,swampy , snobby shit
im ready to see snow and mountains and caves and no humidity and people up to hunt for bones and all that good stuff.

FL is a sinkhole
its ok to visit in the winter or to visit , but ONLY to visit
staying here long term blows

Bullet

Reaction score
The Circle A ranch has a winter work camp. I'm almost 100% sure they are ok with people just showing up. There are some shacks and stuff you can squat in. Or if you have a vehicle you can park it and stay in that.

I grew up in Florida and I agree that it sucks. There are a handful of places that are worth visiting though.
One of them is Weeki Watchee Springs in Hernando County. There is amazing canoeing, swimming, and an old 50s theme park with an underwater mermaid show. Anywhere along that river would be spectacular to camp, though. I always see manatees, otters, and gators when I go there.
The river has a very chilly constant temperature of 74.2 degrees. AND...I just learned this...The spring is the surfacing point of an underground river, which is the deepest naturally occurring spring in the United States.

So if you're in the area check it out. Just don't be a dick and fuck it up. It's a really special place.

If you're heading to Florida sometime soon, especially the Southwest parts, drop me a PM and I can tell you where there are some other great spots depending on where you are gonna be. They are few and far between, but they exist! Florida is really unique in biodiversity and landscape and it's worth checking out at some point in your life.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads